The Tribute Artist -- Anyone?

Patash
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 08:44am
I think the first performance was last night. Anyone see it? Any buzz?
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:51am
I'm disappointed this hasn't been on TDF, at least as far as I've seen.
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:56am
The show is taking part in 20@20 if you're looking for a cheap ticket option.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
Patash
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:40am
Before worrying about how cheap it is -- I'd rather find out something about the show itself. While I think Charles Busch is incredibly talented, I'm curious if people think this is one of his great ones -- really worth seeing -- or one of his more "meh" shows.
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:31pm
saw this tonight keeping in mind this was a first preview

boy was this like getting teeth pulled, it ultimately felt like a 2 and a half hour episode of a really bad sitcom. While there are some laughs the whole thing is performed with such broad strokes that 4 out of ever 5 jokes dropped like lead weights, Mary Bacon and Keira Kelley delivery of almost all their lines was super off and they almost felt like they were performing a different show. very disappointing but hey maybe it can be salvaged before it opens
stevenycguy
Leading Actor
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:44pm
Were there several empty seats at the theater tonight, given the bad weather ? Even though there is a 20@20 promotion
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:48pm
about 15% empty i'd say, keep in mind its a small theatre
Patash
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/22/14 at 09:25am
Thanks, PlayItAgain, based on that I think we'll skip it this weekend. Unless someone else has a very strong counter!
Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/22/14 at 08:10pm
Two and a half hours for a Bush play? Wow that sounds excessive. Aren't most of his plays 90 minutes, in and out? Was it really that long or was there just a late start and/or extended intermission? Seeing it this weekend and hoping I'll still be able to make my 11:15 train from Penn.
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/22/14 at 09:33pm
started at 7:08, 15 minute intermission, we got out a little after 9:30
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/23/14 at 10:02am
Two and a half hours for a Bush play? Wow that sounds excessive. Aren't most of his plays 90 minutes, in and out? Was it really that long or was there just a late start and/or extended intermission?

The Tale of the Allergist's Wife is two acts and over two hours long.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
After Eight
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/26/14 at 04:33am
There's fun to be had. The structure and plotting are haphazard and far-fetched, and it moves somewhat fitfully. But it's cute, congenial, and provides many laughs. Charles Busch's patented deadpan quips are quite droll, and the cast is expert in their assorted set pieces. The set is most becoming.

It's not on the level of the playwright's vintage works, but it's far better than many of his more recent efforts. Overall, it's an enjoyable evening.
NewYorkTheater
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/10/14 at 01:17pm

As crafty as he is as a writer, and spot-on in his comic timing as a performer, two hours of a silly, convoluted plot may be too much to ask of an audience aging along with him.
The Tribute Artist Review. Charles Busch in a Real Estate Lesbian Drag Farce for Senior Citizens

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/10/14 at 04:35pm
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/1/14 at 11:49pm
I saw it tonight and agree with After Eight, though I'd actually call the plotting fairly clever. I could easily see how Bacon and Kelley might have taken a while to find their way into the piece. I wasn't sure of them at all when they showed up--Bacon in particular--but I ended up enjoying them. I thought Jonathan Walker was terrific.

They must have tightened up the pace a bit: I'd say it was about 2:15, with the intermission.

I was only sorry to see Cynthia Harris go so soon.

Updated On: 3/1/14 at 11:49 PM
tom2000a
Chorus Member
Posted: 3/2/14 at 06:25pm
I've been going to see Charles Busch plays and musicals since the original Vampires. I agree that there were a few lemons in the bunch. The Tribute Artist is a joy! I don't know why everyone seems to be so obsessed with how long it is. I understand most of his shows are a little shorter but this did not seem long at all to me. I would not say it was his best play.. I don't think any of his plays will come close to the old days of The Lady in Question. But in a more mellow, grown up way, it's really great. I also notice that his plays tend to get better as the run goes on. The play was the closest to his own life, although still very far fetched. The plot is very clever but often becomes implausable. BUT WHO CARES? There is so much fun to be had! I had a tdf seat... Third Row Aisle. I was in heaven! It was an incredible experience watching Mr Busch in his prime... and everyone else do such a smashing job. Julie Halston is amazing. I too was sorry to see Cythnia Harris go before the end of Act One. IT's so much fun! Just go. Just go!

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...