Who has been in the most Broadway shows?

francescalovely
Swing
I've always wondered this. I recently found someone with 12 Broadway credits and that got me to think who has been in the most shows! Anybody know?
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
That's actually a really interesting question. I haven't the foggiest, but would love to know. I imagine it won't be a "name".
broadwayfever
Featured Actor
In the last 10 years, I think Krysta Rodriguez is in the lead.

All-time...it would probably have to be Angela Lansbury.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Some creatives have hundreds of credits.

If you are talking about performers, Philip Bosco has been in 52 Broadway shows. I'd say he wins.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
blaxx
Broadway Legend

All-time...it would probably have to be Angela Lansbury.

Please, love...
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
best12bars
Broadway Legend
I'm guessing you would have to go back to the early 20th century for the answer. That's when shows had much shorter runs, and often actors could do two or three shows per season.

EDIT: Just a random sampling ...

Ethel Barrymore - 52
Billie Burke - 28
Helen Hayes - 50
Lynn Fontanne - 36
Alfred Lunt - 40
Katharine Cornell - 41
Laurette Taylor - 29
Maude Adams - 29

... and Eva Le Gallienne - 81
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Updated On: 1/17/14 at 09:44 PM
ljay889
Broadway Legend

These kids....
#sadandtransparent
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Had no idea but I think the person I have seen the most in different shows is Karen Ziemba. I think I have seen her in 5 or 6 shows.

Updated On: 1/18/14 at 02:47 PM
Broadwaystar2
Featured Actor
If we are talking LIVING and still on Broadway today, John Jellison has been in 20 and currently in Motown.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Phil Bosco IS alive.
Broadwaystar2
Featured Actor
Is Phil Basco in a show Today? I said "living and on broadway TODAY" as in just finished a show 30 min ago.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
His name is even not Phil Basco.

And if he's alive and working, he doesn't need to camp outside a theater to be what the OP was looking for.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Similar to this is the question of who has given the most performances in one or several shows. There was the guy who played a theatre manager in Phantom for 25+ years, (I'm feeling too lazy to remember his name at the minute) for a start.
bobs3
Broadway Legend
I think it is was George Lee Andrews and he played the role for over 23 years but his contract was not renewed because they wanted to replace him with someone less expensive in order to save money (at least that is the story I heard).

I could be wrong but I think Leila Martin holds the record for female performances having played the role of Madame Giry for over 5,000 performances before she retired (and never missing a performance except for vacations).
Updated On: 1/19/14 at 03:35 AM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Thank you- I did know his name but was being too lazy to dredge it up from the recesses of my brain :)

There was talk that his performance had become "tired", but it could well be that he was expensive in the role. That is laughable, though, and could well be one of those example of shows which makes mega-millions still penny-pinching.

BROADWAYWORLD TV