Phylicia Rashad in August: Osage County?

whatacharacter
Featured Actor
I was looking on IBDB after seeing the film and saw Rashad has a run as Violet. I am curious to hear if anyone saw her, and how she was in the role!
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Absolutely brilliant.

All three Violets I saw (Rashad, Dunagan, and Estelle Parsons) were brilliant, and each was very different.

Dunagan's Violet seemed out of control- her Violet had already descended past the point of no return. She seemed to have little control over her madness.

Parsons seemed to be in complete control of Violet's outbursts, and in fact, relished them.

With Rashad, I was completely surprised and taken away. I was expecting her to pull out her regular bag of tricks (raised eybrows, slow walks, long pauses, etc.) but she completely inhabited the character. Her Violet was more calculating and cunning than the other two ladies. It was a simply remarkable performance.

If I recall, by the time she came in, the show was winding down, and even the love letter she got from Brantley wasn't enough to keep the show going.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
I agree-- she was stunning. Which is no surprise, of course.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
I believe I posted on here saying that her performance was the best female performance I have ever seen in a play and while I'm not sure if that's still true, she's absolutely in the top five. She was astonishing in the part. The best Violet I saw on Broadway, and I saw all three of them.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
I really enjoyed her performance but was sad that I never got to see Estelle Parsons in the role. I guess I shouldn't be that sad about it now.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
AC126748
Broadway Legend
I found her performance lazy and uninspired. She and Elizabeth Ashley did all but yawn in the audience's collective face the day I went.

Parsons is the greatest Violet, far as I'm concerned.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend

My only Violet is Estelle, and she was extraordinary.
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
One of the best performances I've ever seen. There was a menace to her Violet that was not there with the other two.

The moment I remember most was when she crawled up to Johnna in the attic. She collapsed halfway up and I remember thinking that she was really hurt.
I leave the room smiling.
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
^ Glinda-- yes, menace is a great word to use.
mikem
Broadway Legend
Spoilers below

I saw both Dunagan and Rashad, and I thought both were excellent, although their interpretations were very different. I wouldn't characterize Dunagan as out of control as much as out of touch. Her Violet didn't seem to comprehend how lacerating her words were. She just looked at it as "truth telling." And at the end, Dunagan didn't seem to understand how her daughters could have all left her. She didn't think she was doing anything wrong.

Rashad, on the other hand, played the role as someone who was very wily. She knew perfectly well what she was doing. Of course, she overplayed her hand at the end, which she didn't realize until it was too late.

And in case anyone is wondering, Rashad's being African-American didn't matter one bit. A great performer is a great performer.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
ljay889
Broadway Legend
She was amazing! I saw a rare performance with her, Amy Morton and a surprise return of Rondi Reed (covering a sick Elizabeth Ashley). The entire performance was ferocious. I'll never forget it.
#sadandtransparent
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
^Wasn't that, in fact, the final performance?

Rondi Reed was in a whole different league than the horrendously cartoony Elizabeth Ashley.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
ljay889
Broadway Legend
You're right! That was the final performance. Can't believe I forgot that.
#sadandtransparent