Comscore

Rosemary's Baby as a play

RW3 Profile Photo
RW3
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/14 at 11:58am
Would Rosemary's Baby work as a play on Broadway or would it be too dark? I think Patina Miller could make a good Rosemary if the producers went a color-blind casting rout and it would give her a chance to show off her acting chops not just her singing abilities.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 12:25pm
It should be set in a circus.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 02:00pm
I tend to think it would be challenging to make into a successful play. Not because the material is too dark but because the movie is not only perfect but an almost exact replica of a near perfect - and very cinematic - novel. Bringing it to life on stage would most likely mean screwing with perfection in order to find a workable, but likely second rate, dramatic structure.

Updated On: 1/10/14 at 02:00 PM
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 02:06pm
No.

And stop giving the likes of Terry Johnson and Trevor Nunn any ideas.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
mamaleh
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/14 at 02:42pm
A black Rosemary is already on the way, at least in film: Zoe Saldana is reportedly doing the movie remake.
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 03:30pm
Well, yesterday Zoe Saldana was officially confirmed to be starring in the highly anticipated NBC TV mini-series adaptation, which is based on Ira Levin's 1967 novel ROSEMARY'S BABY and not the classic 1968 Roman Polanski film adaptation.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/zoe-saldana-to-star-in-nbc-miniseries-rosemarys-baby-1201037801/
So what does that make you, Brody? A zero-trick pony? - Wanna Be A Foster .........................The only power brody wields is in his own mind, joe. But it's amusing to watch him pretend nonetheless. - tazber
Phyllis Rogers Stone Profile Photo
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 03:47pm
The original movie is virtually identical to the book.
Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/14 at 05:44pm
You ask: "Would Rosemary's Baby work as a play on Broadway or would it be too dark?"

Well if producers didn't feel the link to the show below wasn't too dark for audiences then why not "Rosemary's Baby"? Needless to say, even with a few names in the cast, producers quickly realized Broadway audiences were probably no more interested in seeing the theatre adaptation of this film classic as audiences in Los Angeles were. Plus when a movie is near perfect I'm afraid we might get another "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

http://geffenplayhouse.com/show_cast.php?show_id=137
goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/14 at 11:46pm
Hey why stoop there! Make it a musical. They made Rebecca a musical.
missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
Featured Actor
Posted: 1/11/14 at 01:40am
There's also Roberto Agguire-Sacasa's "The Ten Minute Play About Rosemary's Baby" in his collection "The Weird". Unfortunately I know all too well that the Ira Levin estate is very protective of their work. I think the material is ripe for the stage, it's very minimal yet very suspenseful. And after all, Ira Levin was a playwright...
Been done, but probably not in the way you were envisioning...
Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
Stand-by
Posted: 1/11/14 at 02:56pm
nope. better to leave a classic alone. and how can a play be made suspenseful when we all know the movie? no suspense. the only reason to rewatch the film is for the setting, the mood, the acting, not the suspense. (and those are all wonderful and sufficient. I did watch RB just last week. wonderful) broadway shows are the same. we don't watch them to see what happens. we are there for the experience, the acting, the music. a "surprise" ending is no help in "selling" a play.

I think I'm right here but am afraid that the wonderful minds on here can come up with alternate theories. that's ok. change my mind.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/12/14 at 04:48pm
EASILY be made into a play. Possibly even a one set drawing room play as a matter of fact. I'm actually surprised, with some of its outsized characters, it hasn't been done before. A much easier adaptation than "The Exorcist" or "The Graduate".
Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/13/14 at 08:22pm
Missthemountains is correct. There is probably no way the Levin sons who run the Estate would ever allow it.
henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/13/14 at 11:05pm
An environmental Rosemary's Baby in one of those kinds of apt. buildings might work.

Advertisement