SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup

WayTooBroadway
Featured Actor
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 11:41am
TWELFTH NIGHT and RICHARD III double-bill has recouped its $3.1-million capitalization. Congratulations!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/09/rylances-shakespeare-shows-recoup-on-broadway/
"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
macnyc
Broadway Legend
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 11:43am
I'm so glad to see this. These productions are truly highlights of the season! Good taste can pay off.
saulssweetie
Chorus Member
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 11:48am
Very happy this recouped. Both were wonderful. Seeing Twelfth Night again in February as a birthday treat.
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 11:56am
Huzzah! Here's hoping this only encourages Shakespeare's Globe to export more of their fantastic work in the future, and remind other great theatre companies that there are NY audiences thirsting for more great theatre!

ETA: I'm glad Healy pointed out Globe's $25 tickets policy in the article. Producers take note: a too-expensive seat unfilled is less valuable than an affordable seat used by a patron enthused about the show they see. They bet on their show, their audience, and the word of mouth that a full, cheaper house would reinforce. They won big.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Updated On: 1/9/14 at 11:56 AM
WayTooBroadway
Featured Actor
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 12:03pm
Amen, jnb.
"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
macnyc
Broadway Legend
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 12:24pm
^^^ Yes, I agree 100 percent! The $27 ticket policy is wonderful.
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 12:26pm
My friend and I did the double bill over Christmas and sat in the $27 onstage seats for both shows and it was an experience I'll never forget. Two incredible productions, and I'm thrilled they've been so successful.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 12:45pm

What great news. I hadn't heard that they'd couped the first time around.
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
theaterdrew
Stand-by
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 01:24pm
"They bet on their show, their audience, and the word of mouth that a full, cheaper house would reinforce."

Absolutely. The other Shakespeare this season also had the cheaper seats, but not the word of mouth. They were selling SRO to Twelfth Night when I saw it last Friday. Has Richard III had a similar audience?

vegas2
Stand-by
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 03:10pm
There were standees at Richard last night.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
SHAKESPEARE PLAYS Recoup
Posted: 1/9/14 at 08:42pm
Here's hoping that Godot/No Man's Land recoups but I'm sure it will. The Twelfth Night/Richard III rep must be the first hit the Belasco has had in a long time.

BROADWAYWORLD TV