If/Then age appropriate?

musicalfool
Chorus Member
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 1/3/14 at 01:23pm
For those who may have seen If/Then in DC - is it appropriate for a 10 year old? I know every kid is different, but in general, is the subject matter Ok for a pre-teen?
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 1/3/14 at 01:29pm
I can't speak to appropriateness, but I can't imagine the interest level to be very high.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
brotherhoodofman
Chorus Member
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 1/3/14 at 01:30pm
I would say no, not for most 10 year olds. I'd consider it a strong PG-13 with more uses of the F-word than a PG-13 movie has (since one song is titled "What the F"). I would say this is appropriate for middle school/junior high kids with an adult present. High school would be fine. But I think there's material too mature for a fourth or fifth grader.
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 1/3/14 at 03:08pm
Yeah, it has swear words and mentions of sex, so I say 13+
musicalfool
Chorus Member
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 1/3/14 at 03:09pm
Thanks all, I appreciate it.
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 2/15/14 at 08:58pm
Bumping this with a question - Would a 13 year old feel uncomfortable seeing this with a parent? I'm not talking about if the show is appropriate, I'm not worried about that, but would the show make the teen feel awkward sitting next to a parent?
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
LetTheSunshineIn2
Swing
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 2/15/14 at 09:14pm
I don't think there is anything that would make the 13 year old feel uncomfortable next to his/her parents, there is nothing super explicit- just language and implied sex (waking up in the same bed). But,I don't know how much teens will enjoy the show. The show's premise (what if I made this choice or that) may not be very interesting to them. That said, I really enjoyed the show in DC and would certainly recommend it for adults.
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 2/15/14 at 09:20pm
The 13 year old in question is actually a very experienced theatre goer and is more intellectually advanced than his peers, and enjoys things that would make his peers fall asleep after 5 minutes, so I'm not worried about that. He rarely sees a show that he doesn't like.
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
LetTheSunshineIn2
Swing
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 2/15/14 at 09:23pm
Then you should be just fine. Enjoy the show!
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 2/15/14 at 09:26pm
Thanks for the info! :)
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
If/Then age appropriate?
Posted: 2/16/14 at 06:59am
Bumping this with a question - Would a 13 year old feel uncomfortable seeing this with a parent? I'm not talking about if the show is appropriate, I'm not worried about that, but would the show make the teen feel awkward sitting next to a parent?

That depends on the parent/teen relationship. It is entirely subjective, and there's no universal answer that will apply to all parents and teens. I grew up seeing everything with my mom, and it was never awkward for us. My mom took me to Chicago, Rent, Miss Saigon, The Graduate when I was in 5th grade. Not awkward for either of us at all. Other parents and teens, it very well could have been. It really depends.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama