Tammie Faye musical?

Younger Brother
Broadway Star
Tammie Faye musical?
Posted: 1/2/14 at 11:19am
I was watching a google chat with Kristin Chenoweth who said she was working with Henry Krieger on a musical version of the life of Tammy Faye. Has anyone heard anything about it? It was back in 2011 and I know Kristin's got many other projects in the pipeline. I think it could be really interesting especially with Krieger writing the score.
Around 8:00 mark
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Tammie Faye musical?
Posted: 1/2/14 at 11:38am
I really don't think Tammy Faye's life is interesting enough to musicalize. All of the conflict in her life was created by other people and she was just along for the ride. It's difficult to create a musical around a victim.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Tammie Faye musical?
Posted: 1/2/14 at 11:40am
The first I've heard of it goes back to a Michael Riedel column in June 2011, where Krieger's name is attached to the music. More Googling then takes us to a blog interview in May 2012 where David Yazbek attached himself as a lyricist.

The latest news-also from May 2012-attaches a former Wicked producer to the project.
finebydesign
Broadway Legend
Tammie Faye musical?
Posted: 1/2/14 at 11:53am
There was already an off-Broadway show called "Big Tent." Nice songs but as was already mentioned, Tammy Faye was mostly a pawn in her life.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Tammie Faye musical?
Posted: 1/2/14 at 12:34pm
"I really don't think Tammy Faye's life is interesting enough to musicalize."

I think anyone's life could be adapted into a good musical, if the book writer is skilled enough. Remember that the three most successful bio-musicals ever (Gypsy, Funny Girl, The Sound of Music) are mostly fiction (or outright lies, if you prefer).

Sadly, today's writers of such fare (like the unbearable Chaplin, Scandalous, A Class Act, Lennon, Lovemusik, etc.) seem to believe the best approach is religious adherence to a third-grade-level biography, with songs dropped in at random.