Favorite songs with dominant cello

qazdannywsx
Chorus Member
Posted: 12/31/13 at 02:41pm
I've always been into orchestrations and I'm lately falling in love with the rounded warmness of the cello. One of my favorite songs with noticeable cello is 'How Glory Goes', where the cello has a really interesting line even throughout the verses, not to mention the really moving part it has during the reprise of the call.
I also love the cello in 'The Next 10 Minutes'.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 03:05pm
Two of Billy Porter's songs in Kinky Boots have dominant cello parts..Not My Father's Son and Hold Me in Your Heart. Also, in Matilda, Quiet has a beautiful cello arrangement.
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/31/13 at 04:01pm
Now/Later/Soon from A Little Night Music.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/31/13 at 04:07pm
The Godspell "Yellow Album," the National Tour Cast Recording, features an acoustic/electric cello as its lead instrument, very prominent in most of the songs, particularly "All Good Gifts."
The Glenbuck Laird
Understudy
Posted: 12/31/13 at 06:51pm
You'll Never Walk Alone is great with a bit of cello
justoldbill
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 07:07pm
I've forgotten- what song was used in that dreadful revival of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS that had that lame business of an on-stage solo cello starting to smoulder?
Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
Updated On: 12/31/13 at 07:07 PM
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/31/13 at 07:09pm
"Still Hurting" and "The Next Ten Minutes" has a prominent cello part, IIRC

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/31/13 at 07:09 PM
adam.peterson44
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 07:13pm
Nadia's songs (A Quiet Night at Home and Spring, i think) from Bare are cello-dominant.
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Posted: 12/31/13 at 08:07pm
The Dark I Know Well and Don't Do Sadness from Spring Awakening have really awesome cello parts.
qazdannywsx
Chorus Member
Posted: 1/3/14 at 12:17am
Of course, Spring Awakening! The cello in Quiet is beautiful. Adding to my list: The I Love You Song, The Beauty Is, and in the Overture to The Light in the Piazza, at 1:52 starts a cello duet that is simply perfection.
perfectlymarvelous
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/3/14 at 02:06am
The whole score of Spring Awakening is very cello-heavy and it's really beautiful. I also love the cello parts that Tom Kitt added to some of the songs in American Idiot when he did the orchestrations for that show.
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/3/14 at 08:02am
Since you're interested in orchestrations particularly, the Doyle Sweeney Todd took some songs that were not normally cello-heavy and re-orchestrated them to be so, since both Johanna and Anthony played one.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

BROADWAYWORLD TV