Comscore

Flop Houses

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/29/13 at 11:44pm
Hey All,
Are there any Broadway theatres that are famous for having almost, if not all, of their productions to flop? Which ones?
Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:18am
The Foxwoods (previously known as Hilton Theatre and Ford Center for the Performing Arts) has only hosted floperoo after floperoo.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:29am
The Mark Hellinger was a huge flop house until it found God.

A Doll's Life
Merlin
Oliver with Patti LuPone
Grind
Rags
Legs Diamond

After Sugar Babies, it was one big flop house.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:36am
Since Hairspray, it seemed like everything that has played the Neil Simon didnít last too long. Not just in comparison to Hairspray Long Run, but just a long run in general
Darreyl with an L!
tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
Stand-by
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:42am
I've always felt that the Marquis is cursed.
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 01:05am
Lyceum
Belasco
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
LittleEdieFan
Understudy
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 01:11am
Definitely the Neil Simon. Since Hairspray closed, I have never been in New York when there is a show actually playing in the house.
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 01:50am
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Flop Houses
Posted: 12/30/13 at 03:58pm
Thanks
Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
trpguyy
Broadway Star
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 03:22am
Yup, the Marquis for sure. Nothing seems to be able to occupy that theater for very long.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 10:32am
"Yup, the Marquis for sure. Nothing seems to be able to occupy that theater for very long."

The ghosts from the theaters that were demolished to build the Marquis make sure of that.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
ceisen
Swing
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 12:04pm
The Marquis has had several big successes: Me and My Girl, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Drowsy Chaperone, Annie Get Your Gun (1999 revival), Damn Yankees (1994 revival), Victor/Victoria, and Follies (2011 revival--a financial failure but a critical success). It's also had a great number of flops. Even though I've heard that actors and tech people love working at the theatre, it just doesn't have that real Broadway feel. It's a theatre inside a hotel.
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 01:21pm
The Lunt Fontanne is one big belly flop house, it hasn't had a hit in the theatre, with a show this house has originated since the original The Sound of Music, however this is about to change for the better, with the imminent announcement that Motown has recouped.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Updated On: 1/3/14 at 01:21 PM
trpguyy
Broadway Star
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 01:44pm
A Christmas Story was by all accounts a huge success, at the Lunt Fontanne
Updated On: 1/3/14 at 01:44 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 02:56pm
Don't think it made money though, I hear it cost north of $8m to put on, but will recoup in due course with holiday tours and Broadway revivals,
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 03:15pm
I believe the most recent success at the Marquis was Annie Get Your Gun, as TMM did not recoup.
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 03:42pm
I believe the most recent success at the Marquis was Annie Get Your Gun, as TMM did not recoup.

The Drowsy Chaperone was a hit.

Again, the only Broadway flop house (zero hits) is the Foxwoods.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 1/3/14 at 03:42 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 03:43pm
The Drowsy Chaperone was a big fat hit in New York, which played the Marquis and this was certainly after Annie Get Your Gun, however the same production bombed when it got to London, but that as another story.
Mattbrain Profile Photo
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 06:05pm
Did Fiddler recoup at the Minskoff? 'Cuz I know before that and Lion King, there was Tom Sawyer and Dance of the Vampires.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/3/14 at 06:26pm
^While noted explicitly stated, based on this article, I would have to guess it did not.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/21/theater/newsandfeatures/21mcki.html?pagewanted=all
jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/4/14 at 05:26pm
Didn't the revival of 42nd street turn a profit at the foxwoods (or whatever it's called this week)?
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Broadway61004
Stand-by
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/4/14 at 05:35pm
Yeah, I'd hardly call the Foxwoods a flop house. In its short history, it's had 42nd street recoup as well as Young Frankenstein. Plus Ragtime, while it ultimately feel short of recouping, still did very well.
Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/4/14 at 05:48pm
42nd Street came close, but didn't recoup. Young Frankenstein and Ragtime both lost millions.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/4/14 at 06:46pm
Really, I know Ragtime made a loss and Smaxie you are a more of an authority on theatre than I am, but Ragtime played the Foxwood or whatever it was at the time for 2 years, which is quite a long run. I wonder how much of the loss was down to creative accounting by Livent?
LittleEdieFan
Understudy
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/4/14 at 07:02pm
If the rumour that "King Kong" will move into the Foxwoods are true then the Foxwoods flop tradition will continue. The show is a mess..
AEA AGMA SM Profile Photo
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Flop Houses
Posted: 1/4/14 at 07:05pm
"I wonder how much of the loss was down to creative accounting by Livent?"

It's unlikely we'll ever really know, but it was a huge show in all accounts: huge cast, huge orchestra, huge physical production (thus meaning huge crew). I wouldn't be surprised if even without the creative book keeping it was still a ways off from recoupment. As I recall while the business it did was generally solid it was never the sell-out runaway hit that The Lion King became from the moment it opened.

And yes, as others have stated, 42nd Street closed just shy of paying back the investors (so I assume so they eventually saw a return thanks to the tour which did make money).
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?

Page:

Advertisement Advertisement