Bye Big Fish

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/28/13 at 11:30pm
You deserved better . Glad we saw one of the better musicals on Broadway in some time. Liked it and the score much better than the overpraised Wicked.

Hopefully there will be life after Broadway. Good luck to all involved and thankfully we will have the cast album in February.

Norbert, stay away from the Neil Simon . Nothing but bad luck for you.
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/28/13 at 11:39pm
Norbert, stay away from the Neil Simon . Nothing but bad luck for you.

He won a Tony for one of his performances there. I would hardly call that bad luck.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/28/13 at 11:53pm
Bad luck as far as the theater not the role.
promisespromises2
Featured Actor
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 01:16am
Saw it for the second time today and I will NEVER understand why this show is closing. I bawled like a baby again. So moving. Such a beautiful score and show.
sephyr
Featured Actor
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 01:23am
I agree. I actually had to sit there and collect myself after the show. And I looked around and a lot of people were affected too. I guess the material just resonates with people. I truly enjoyed it from start to finish.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 11:57am
I will really miss it so much. It was an amazing price of theatre with heart and soul. Even though the critics bashed they still manged to fight the dragons. I am counting down to the Cast Recording and I hope February comes sooner than later. I really hope this show can tour so many people can be touched by the magic that is Big Fish.
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 11:59am
I am sorry I never got to see this, but I was in the city for the first time in six months this past Monday, but I had tickets to something else.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
tmbyru
Stand-by
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 04:07pm
Also very sad to see this one go so quickly. Reminds me of how fast Hands on a Hardbody came and went. Big Fish was the best new musical this fall. The witch scene is with me forever.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 04:45pm
Did any one go?
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 04:47pm
Bad luck as far as the theater not the role.

That still doesn't make sense.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 04:58pm
He won for the role Catch could have been any theater. The Simon seems to be jinxed for him having a long run.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 05:04pm
Big Fish would have flopped in any theater. There is no point.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 05:24pm
Whatever Many people enjoyed it. It was an undeserved flop. IMO
tmbyru
Stand-by
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 07:46pm
agreed. It was a great show.
steven22
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/29/13 at 09:16pm
I really enjoyed it. Bobby, Norbert, Kate, and the entire cast are excellent!
dreamcoat12
Chorus Member
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:04am
This production was absolutely breathtaking!! It's in my top 3 shows I've seen this year (beaten only by DROOD). I cannot believe it closed. I was expecting this to run for years!!
shrekster224
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:56am
Saw the closing show and it was a truly magical night. Crazy entrance applause for everyone, so much that Norbert kind of signaled "stop." No curtain speeches or anything because the show really spoke for itself, but it was magical seeing the audience standup in the blackout so that the cast would come out to an already standing ovation. I felt so lucky to be there and enjoy that story and score on Broadway for a final time.
Sidenote: ran into Andrew Lippa at intermission! Very cool.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Star
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/30/13 at 05:36pm
Nice article from someone who was there and about theater in general.

http://www.broadwayspotted.com/musings-on-yet-another-night-of-theatre/
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be, or to be indistinguishable from, self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” Neal Stephenson
homeimp
Leading Actor
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/30/13 at 06:08pm
Such a good article, Sutton. Thanks for the link!

homeimp
KevinL75
Swing
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 12/30/13 at 08:21pm
I was there last night and it was incredible. I really don't understand why this show closed so early - it had such a phenomenal emotional center. The audience showed a ton of appreciation, and the cast and orchestra showed it back. No speeches or excessive curtain calls, but the last few scenes spoke volumes themselves.

Also saw Lilla Crawford like 6 times during intermission and after the show - her hair is hard to miss!
homeimp
Leading Actor
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 1/2/14 at 12:24am
What did Lilla like 6 times at intermission? I'm confused.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 1/2/14 at 02:21pm
"I really don't understand why this show closed so early..."

I'm not sure if you're speaking literally or figuratively, but the answer is (answers are) simple:

1) not enough people who saw the show felt the same way about it as you did, and
2) not enough people found the marketing, press, and word of mouth sufficiently compelling to justify buying a ticket.
theatrecr8zy
Understudy
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 1/7/14 at 04:10am
Liked it, didn't love it. While it had a stellar cast and I thought they all gave beautiful performances , I just felt like the show itself needed some work, some tweaking. RIP Big Fish.
ThatMezzoGirl
Swing
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 1/7/14 at 07:13am
Boooo I wanted to see this, always loved the movie. And love Norbert. Well can't wait to see what he's in next.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 1/7/14 at 03:39pm
You deserved better .

Not really. Surprised it lasted this long. Certainly longer than I could remember any of the tunes.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
newintown
Broadway Legend
Bye Big Fish
Posted: 1/7/14 at 03:57pm
I think if Lippa would work with another lyricist or composer, his work might improve; he just doesn't do both jobs particularly well.

Actually I wish the same for Jason Robert Brown and Michael Jon LaChiusa, too.