How TDF Fills Orders: Back Areas First?

mamaleh
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:15am
I've long wondered how TDF fills ticket orders, especially when it's stated that seats will be in the mezzanine. I've ordered long before others (same number of seats, same dates), yet on more than a few occasions have noticed those who ordered later got better seats closer to the stage. Does anyone know whether TDF's policy is to fill rear seats first, then work down to the front? Thanks.
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:25am
I'm pretty sure that TDF just sends the box office a list of names and that list is not necessarily in the order that the orders were placed. Most likely it's in alphabetical order to make racking the envelopes easier.
mamaleh
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/27/13 at 11:27am
I've since received similar answers. Thanks for the info.
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 11:52am
I think it is in alphabetical order too, because one time my friend and I ordered single tickets separately, a few days apart, and we were surprised to be seated next to one another. But our names are contiguous in alphabetical order! This is just anecdotal evidence, though.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 02:55pm
I'm almost certain it's an alphabetical list as well for the same exact reason mac.

I also know that seating is entirely up to the box office and is typically decided by whoever is working the box office a few hours before the show. Theatres love using TDF because it gives them tremendous flexibility as to what seats they'll sell since all they do when a performance is listed on TDF is hold a certain number of seats, let's say for simplicity, 20 seats. If there are still 50 empty seats in the theatre a week before the show, the show can list all of them as being up for sale so as not to preclude someone who may buy premium or someone who will only buy if the cheapest seats are left. Then, when the total number of available seats, if this happens before performance time, equals the number of TDF purchasers, all the remaining seats would disappear at once.

Obviously shows on TDF don't typically sell out so it gives the box office a lot of flexibility.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 03:09pm
They put TDF people in the back because there are a lot of rude TDF patrons.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
tobiasragg
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 03:18pm
Most often, the TDF patrons are the politest and best audience members; savvy theatergoers who make frequent use of the service and know how to conduct themselves in a theater.
"Bring down my things. I'm going out of this world exactly the way I came in to it: wearing a hat." - Colleen Donaghy, "30 Rock" -- "The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not."
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 06:02pm
Goth you must be a TDF member in that case.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 09:22pm
I've found there's a good contingent of TDF members who want to pay for spam but get prime rib in terms of seating. When I house managed, I would often get people who purchased very cheap tickets from TDF, found themselves in the rear of the house, and asked if they could move up. Regardless of how full the house was.
HogansHero
Stand-by
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:21pm
I seriously doubt you'll find any experienced front of house person who would not agree that there is direct correlation between how much someone pays for a ticket and how likely it is they will complain about something. But that has nothing to do with where they are seated. There are two primary ways that gets decided: by the general manager, who is interested in making sure the house doesn't look skimpy, or by the box office employee, who wants to do what's easiest (absent direction from the GM). Anyone who thinks about this any more than that, or who makes up rules where none exist, is just fantasizing.