Paper Mill Playhouse’s OLIVER!

themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/20/13 at 06:02pm

I’ve always had a soft spot for this show, and I just adore David Garrison, but I don’t think I’ll be able to catch it.

Has anyone seen it? Would you care to share your thoughts?
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:27am
I'm seeing this production tomorrow night. Can't wait!
"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." -Charles Dickens,
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:30am

Oh, lovely! Report back if you can!
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/27/13 at 10:37am
I will growl. I've been dying to see a "professional" stage production of this show. They were sold out when I was in London a couple of years ago. I've only seen 2 H.S productions years ago.
"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." -Charles Dickens,
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 08:00am
It was an incredible production! Costumes, sets, orchestrations and cast were all perfect! David Garrison a.k.a Steve Rhodes (Married with Children) was BRILLIANT as Fagin. He is truly an under rated actor. Hopefully the next time I see him will be in a musical on a Broadway stage. Betsy Morgan as Nancy blew the roof off of the Paper Mill with her rendition of "As Long As He Needs Me" Other notable performances were given by Jose Llana (Bill Sikes),Tyler Moran (Oliver), Ethan Haberfield (Artful Dodger), and John Treacy Egan (Mr. Bumble). Hopefully this will not be the last we will see of this amazing production. This is a show I would return to again and again...
The Other One
Featured Actor
Posted: 12/30/13 at 09:00am
When does it close?
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 09:20am
Unfortunately, it played it's final performance yesterday.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 09:40am

Thanks for the report, boobs! It sounds like you had a really great time!

I agree that David Garrison is a terrific and underrated musical theater actor. His presence notably elevated both the national tour of WICKED I saw him on and the otherwise disappointing SILENCE! THE MUSICAL. John Treacy Egan is a Pittsburgh CLO staple and performed Bumble here a few years ago. (According to the New York Times review of the Papermill production, the CLO sets were used here, too.) It would have been interesting to see Jose Lana as Sikes; that strikes a funny chord on hearing it.

I’m sorry to have missed it, but thanks again for sharing your thoughts

Updated On: 12/30/13 at 09:40 AM
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 09:54am
You're most welcome, Growl. I must say I even teared up a couple of times during the show. I agree about Jose. Knowing that he played Angel in a production of RENT, such a beautiful, uplifting character proved what a well rounded actor he is braving the role of Sikes. I must say he scared me a bit.
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:26am
Damn, damn, damn I am so pissed I missed this!!! I love unconventional casting. I was surprised Jose Llana was playing "Bill Sykes" in this. Glad to hear he aced the role.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:42am
Glad you enjoyed the show, boobs!

I love David Garrison. I saw him in two first national tours in Los Angeles, as the Wizard in "Wicked" (with Stephanie Block and Kendra Kassebaum) and as Nathan Detroit in "Guys and Dolls" (opposite Lorna Luft). He was excellent in both. He deserves a big, first-run, starring role in a musical on Broadway. I hope he gets it.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:45am
I had no idea David Garrison did musical theater. That goes to show you that I don't claim to know everything...LoL.

I would love to see him in something, it's obvious from those of you who have seen him on stage that he's good.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:51am
He's been on Broadway several times, but it's either in something low-profile, or as a replacement after a hit show has been running a while.

He was even nominated for a Tony for "A Day In Hollywood ..." OBC.

It would be great if he could play Fagin in a revival, but chances are they would cast a bigger name. His only shot would be if they had a huge name as Nancy, who could carry scared producers out of the box office jitters.
David Garrison - IBDb.com
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:06pm
If they did a revival on Broadway of OLIVER! they'd be fools not to hire him to recreate his role of Fagin. He had me from "Pick a Pocket or two" until his curtain call.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 01:44pm

He was also the original Ismay in TITANIC, which my ear never picked up on its own even after years of listening to the recording. Once I found out, it all made sense.
mikey2573
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/30/13 at 02:25pm
I wonder if they used the original orchestrations or the new ones that Bart did for the Macintosh "revisal". I much prefer the newer ones, but for some reason they don't seem to be available in this country. They have been used in the UK and even in some other European countries, but never in the USA except for the Macintosh non-equity tour about 12 years ago. Seems odd that are used everywhere else but here in the states.
Something tells me that OLIVER! might get a Live TV presentation within the next year or so. I honestly can't think of another musical that is so 100% family, even with the starving urchins and murder of Nancy.
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/30/13 at 02:35pm
mikey it seems Michael Riedel agrees with your prediction...

http://nypost.com/2013/12/11/how-do-you-follow-a-smash-like-maria-broadcast-another/

I'd vote for OLIVER! too.

Updated On: 12/30/13 at 02:35 PM
mjohnson2
Stand-by
Posted: 12/30/13 at 03:59pm
I've always found the Paper Mill constantly puts on amazing productions of the shows that they produce.
somethingbypuccini 2
Stand-by
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:21pm
I didn't love the show. I thought the sets and costumes were lovely, and I really loved the cast, but I thought it was very low stakes dramatically. I've never seen a production of the show before, so it might just be the show, but I wasn't to impressed. It didn't seem to build at all. It was well acted and sang, it just seemed very...casual.
PottstownTeacher
Stand-by
Posted: 12/31/13 at 09:58am
I saw the show this past Saturday evening. OLIVER! was the first show I had ever performed in about 110 years ago (!!!!) so it always has held a special place in my heart. I found the production to be very well done, beautifully designed, staged and performed. However ... and this is not a criticism, just merely an observation ... it was directed at break-neck speed (started at 7:08 and we were in the parking lot at 9:10), the tempos were kept brisk, there were some minor cuts and revisions to the text. But the director tended to keep the mood bright. Regardless of the fact that it's a musical, it's still Dickens. And Dickens, by nature, has some bleak moments. I had directed a production of OLIVER! a few years back, and I remember working very hard to get a balance of the dark and the light. This production was mostly light, with the occasional dimmer light. Im guessing this was a choice in order to keep the "family" element, so as to not disturb the young-in's in the audience. I would have also preferred more "moments" to have been taken. It's ok to linger on a line or a scene, but like I said before, they just barreled on through the material. And before you know it, it was over. You were never bored, and it was a very enjoyable production (as are most of the first class lavish things at Paper Mill), I just wish more of the darker elements of the tale had been explored.