Wicked Discount?

Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 09:44am
Ok all you savvy discounters. My niece is bringing her family to the city and wants to see Wicked. I haven't gone the discount route in many years. Other than TKTS, is there a discounted way for her to see Wicked?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
adam.peterson44
Broadway Star
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 09:57am
They do have a same-day lotto. Other than that, for advance discounts, the best bet might be to wait another 10 years or so and see if discounts have started by then. Good luck!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 09:58am
Adam, that's what I thought. It's still a popular show and I didn't think she would get any discounts, but I thought I'd ask just in case I was overlooking something.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
neonlightsxo
Leading Actor
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 10:01am
As far as I know, Wicked isn't ever on TKTS, either. Just so you know.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 10:05am
You would think with that huge theater that some of the tickets would show up on TKTS. That show is old and the theater is huge. I thought it would start being like Cats was in the 90s, where you could depend on seeing it on TKTS every night.
bdn223
Broadway Star
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 12:31pm
The difference is that Wicked's producers would rather forgo the sale of maybe 200+ tickets on a slow week, then allow them to go on TKTS for discount. The main reason Wicked's producers decision is publicity. Thomas Schumacher explained it during an interview for Newsies, while before it became an open ended run in his decision to not offer any discounts for Newsies from the get go. "Once you offer discounted tickets, its hard to stop offering the discount." It's a perception problem, even though many tourists may not know there are discounts on tickets, traditional theater goes do. The problem is that tourists mainly attend weekend performances and it is the traditional bridge and tunnel crowd that attends shows on weeknights. $262 for two standard orchestra seats is a lot of money no matter how you slice it and if you see 1 show a month that equates to $3,144 a year. By using the TKTS booth or another discounting service one will likely pay anywhere from but paying anywhere from $131to $209.60 for those same seats which equates to spending $1,572 to $2,515.20 a year, which by comparison is a lot more affordable and budget friendly. For the traditional theater goer if one finds out a sold out, must see, full priced show, for example that he or she hasn't seen yet Wicked, The Lion King, and The Book of Mormon went on TKTS a couple of days last week, he or she will be more likely to wait for the show to go back on discount instead of paying full price or at least that is what the shows producers think.
A recent example of this is actually the revival of Follies. The week opened to unanimous praise, the show began to essentially sell out for 3 weeks, but the show was still on a discount. When the producers yanked the discount post opening because they saw the amazing presale Follies had for those three weeks of sold out shows, the weekly grosses for Follies decreased slightly but tickets sales plummeted. The show went from selling 95% of its seats to 65% and never recovered. Although Wicked will not be that extreme because it went on TKTS for one or two days a week, the issue is that if people know it will be on TKT on Tuesday and Wednesdays they are less likely to sell full priced tickets at day of show because people will know they can get them cheaper at tkts.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 12:40pm
"the issue is that if people know it will be on TKT on Tuesday and Wednesdays they are less likely to sell full priced tickets at day of show because people will know they can get them cheaper at tkts."

That makes sense. When Glenn Close was doing Sunset Boulevard, she took a week's vacation and the producers chose not to put the tickets on TKTS for the same reason. I think they donated the tickets and took a tax write-off as a charitable donation or something like that.
veronicamae
Stand-by
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 05:30pm
They've had some type of student discount lately...I remember getting an eblast about it. Check their Facebook page, you might find something if you're lucky.
AntV
Featured Actor
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/17/13 at 02:10am
There are discounts for Wicked during Broadway Week. Earlier this year it was January 22 through February 7. It will be sometime around those dates in 2014, but no official announcement yet. So if they will be visiting then you can get discounts. But be ready to be on the site the minute they go on sale.
Melissa25
Stand-by
Wicked Discount?
Posted: 12/17/13 at 03:39am
There are a few discounts available on Plumbenefits.com, a discount service offered to corporations and organizations. It's easy to check to see if your company participates by logging in with your work email address.