Heathers the Musical Coming to NYC

MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/10/13 at 05:19pm
I am very excited for this show to come to NYC! I left LA the week day before performances started there, so I'm glad its coming to the east coast!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/HEATHERS-THE-MUSICAL-to-Get-New-York-Premiere-at-New-World-Stages-Opens-331-20131210

ETA: Opening night will also mark the 25th anniversary of the film's theatrical release. Great idea.
Updated On: 12/10/13 at 05:19 PM
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/10/13 at 05:29pm

Couldn't be more excited for this!!!
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
JoseLee_
Chorus Member
Posted: 12/10/13 at 06:04pm
Saw it here in LA and I thought it was really good. I got to have a conversation with Laurence O'Keefe (mostly about Legally Blonde) he was really nice. It was really campy like Legally Blonde. I hope it goes to broadway. The name of the show will sell tickets alone.
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/10/13 at 06:37pm
JoseLee_, how is the music? And are the famous lines from the movie in the show? "...with a chainsaw"; "Dear diary,..."? I know 'Dead Gay Son' and 'Our Love is God' were songs at Joe's Pub a few years ago.
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/10/13 at 06:46pm
The most important question....How do they do the croquet game?
Just give the world Love.
Famebroadway2
Leading Actor
Posted: 12/10/13 at 06:48pm
I CANT WAIT for this!!!
JoseLee_
Chorus Member
Posted: 12/10/13 at 07:19pm
The show in LA was just a workshop. It was really funny. Yes, they said a lot of the famous lines from the movie. The music was really fun & catchy. I'm a big Legally Blonde: The Musical fan & the music was really similar but not completely. The heathers weren't all white.. (not against it. actually liked it that way) Elle McLemore (Bring It On: The Musical) was a big stand out. The way they introduce the three heathers in the beginning made me cry of laughter. I didn't even see the movie completely before going to the show and I left the show wanting to see it again. It was amazing. They do curse a lot & have sex scenes. I'd say 16+
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/10/13 at 09:34pm
Loved the concert reading, and so excited for this production. I heard nothing but great things about the LA production, and I hope Barrett Wilbert Weed comes with it as Veronica.

"I'm raisin hell and I'm a felon in a four foot frame" --- Bring It On: The Musical.
"It's supposed to hurt. That's how you know it meant something" -- Peter and the Starcatcher.
wally
Featured Actor
Posted: 12/11/13 at 02:03am
I saw the LA production also. I thought the score was very reminiscent of Bat Boy, which I love. I never saw Legally Blonde so I can't compare.
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/11/13 at 10:32am
Had to get a ticket for this, can not wait!
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
missthemountains
Stand-by
Posted: 12/11/13 at 11:16am
Love that this is happening!! If anyone has a way I can hear the LA workshop I'd be most grateful!!
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 03:19am
Has any one heard any casting news/updates/rumors? I have been watching and listening to the Joe's Pub concert/reading and I think it's amazing!! It would be great if some people from the reading came with the show. Just curious! :)
trentsketch
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/31/13 at 09:08am
A call just went up for (I think) all of the roles for the NYC production. http://www.playbill.com/jobs/find/job_detail/57383.html

So I guess nothing is officially cast yet.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 11:40am
^ Thanks! It seems odd that the first preveiew is only about 3 months away and they don't have any casting. But I know they will pull it off. I think it would be amazing if they could get Jenna Leigh Green, Annaleigh Ashford, or Jeremy Jordan back into the project somehow. Probably just wishful thinking on my part but a guy can dream. Really and truly from footage and what I have listened to Jenna was the standout in the show to me. She was hilarious!

Updated On: 12/31/13 at 11:40 AM
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 12:47pm
As much as I'd love to see Annaleigh reprise her role, its not happening as she is leaving Kinky Boots specifically to go be a regular on MASTERS OF SEX. Jeremy and Jenna, on the other hand, haven't, to my knowledges, announced any big projects recently, so its possible.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 01:17pm
I would die if I got to see Jenna. I loved her as a kid on Sabrina the Teenage Witch and grew to love her even more when she did Wicked. She was amazing as Heather Chandler. Does anyone else have any dream casting for this show that they would like to disclose? Just curious to hear different ideas. What's Molly Ranson up to? I could see her in this.
StickIt
Stand-by
Posted: 12/31/13 at 01:18pm
Jenna Leigh Green was incredible in the concert but I think she looks a wee bit old to be playing a high school junior. Not that high school shows with adults in them ever look super age-appropriate, but opposite a very young, fresh-faced actress like Barrett Wilbert Weed or Annaleigh, she'd definitely stick out.

I'd love to see Jeremy Jordan reprise his role but would he really go Off-Broadway with this? Between his success with Newsies and The Last 5 Years film, he might be too expensive to cast. Still, one can hope.
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/31/13 at 03:07pm
Barrett Wilbert Weed (who is fantastic) will be continuing with the show as Veronica when it opens at New World Stages. The rest of the people in the LA production were all local hires who live on the West Coast, so expect to see an almost entirely new cast here in New York.

Jenna Leigh Green was stellar as Heather Chandler in the concert a few years ago, but as has been mentioned already, she's too old to play opposite much more age appropriate actors in the other roles.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/31/13 at 03:07 PM
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 04:24pm
Taylor Louderman could be good for this. And if Ryann Reddmond was not tied up with If/Then I think she would be an AMAZING Martha. Her version of Kindergarten Boyfriend would be stellar.

Updated On: 12/31/13 at 04:24 PM
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/31/13 at 04:33pm
Does anyone know if a video or audio recording of the L.A. production?
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/26/14 at 07:01pm
According to the Backstage audition notice, rehearsals start Feb. 7th. Has anyone heard anything about casting yet? The Heathers the Musical facebook page has been posting pictures if the creative team in auditions for a little while now, but I don't think they have announced anything. It was previously mentioned Someone mentioned on here Barrett Wilber Weed would be reprising her role as Veronica from the LA run, but I can't find a source, and the role is listed in the casting call...

http://www.backstage.com/casting/heathers-the-musical-21082/
Sutton Ross
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/6/14 at 04:59pm
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be, or to be indistinguishable from, self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” Neal Stephenson
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/6/14 at 06:33pm
This cast is great! I am really excited to see Elle in the show! I LOVED her on Bring It On!
Sutton Ross
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/6/14 at 06:44pm
I never saw Bring It On, but this looks like so much fun!
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be, or to be indistinguishable from, self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” Neal Stephenson
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/6/14 at 07:01pm
Does the show end with Daniel Waters' original ending? (JD succeeds in blowing the school up and he joins Veronica at a prom in heaven, where everyone gets along and dances to Big Fun's "Teenage Suicide--Don't Do It." Fade to credits.)
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/6/14 at 08:06pm
I can't speak for the LA production but in the Joe's Pub concert it ends with JD being the only one blown up.