Barbra Streisand: Back to Brooklyn on PBS

Sally Durant Plummer
Understudy
Watching it right now. She never ceases to amaze me in how wonderful she is. Such bliss on that huge stage. He Jule Styne Medley was fantastic, but "What'll I Do" was a revelation. Anyone besides me watching this? What are your thoughts?
RUkiddingme
Understudy
I was on the fence when tix went on sale for the Brooklyn show. Did I want to see the greatest star not at the top of her game? Her shows at MSG 20 years ago were so amazing.

Having watched the PBS special I know I was right to not buy a ticket. I actually wish i didn't watch the special cause she was not even close to what she was.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
Not me. I wished I had gotten tickets and even more sorry I missed it after I saw the special.

No she was not as great as she was..but she is over 70 years old and still managed to pull off a two hour concert with style and humor and a lot of talent. The memories alone would have been worth it to me.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
I love the Barbra that used to was.

This ain't her.

I sat through the whole thing ... and so did she. Every song sounded the same. Even the uptempo ones. She held back on everything, which is a kind way of saying she phoned most of it in.

Her voice is tired and frayed. After all, she's 70 now.

There were a few moments where she rose above the same old same old. Don't Rain On My Parade is still her song. Even singing with half the energy and vocal prowess of her youth, she still does it better than anybody else.

I thought Jason sounded very good, and I enjoyed their moment together on stage.

Her semi-attempt at singing songs from Gypsy sealed the fate of that project for good.

Still, I think I'm done watching her give it (half) her all. I will remember "the way she was" and pull out the CDs and videos when I want to see what a truly magnificent performer she could be. And was.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
bwayboy22
Stand-by
I was at the concert and I have to say in person and on video is not the same thing. When youre in a room with Barbra an energy fills the air and the night becomes an experience you'll never forget. Now that being said she can't sing like she could 50 years ago or even 20 years ago, but she can still sing better than anybody I've ever heard. Seeing the video of Barbra is like seeing a bootleg of a show, all the magic can't be transferred through the screen. Back to Brooklyn will be a night I always remember and worth every penny I spent to see a true living legend.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Yeah, but it came through the screen when she was in her 20s, and it was in black and white, and it was a low rez Kinescope. Blurry film, bad lighting, and mono sound.

So now that it's got state-off-the-art video and audio via equipment that hadn't even been dreamt of in the '60s ... you're saying her energy is hindered? You're saying it's like a bootleg?

Okay.

I'm glad you enjoyed it live in a room filled with thousands of hyper-emotioal, crying fans. I'm sure their energy embodied you.

I won't judge your experience next to the frenzied mobs who started sobbing before she even opened her mouth if you won't just mine, sitting in my living room with a Bose sound system, watching the concert on a 60" state-of-the-art plasma TV.

Deal?

Updated On: 12/8/13 at 06:38 PM
broadwaybabywannabe2
Featured Actor
NO ONE...I MEAN NO ONE is a bigger STREISAND fan than I am...since I was a senior in high school in 1965, she has been a part of my life...I know every song she has sung by heart...from VHS to DVD from vinyl to iTunes I know BABS...I even saw her sing at a BELLA ABZUG rally in NYC in 1970...but with that being said I too felt that this was sort of awful...she means well but clearly does not have the power and vocal chords anymore to sing with the passion and gift she did have for many decades...but I still love BABS and when she is on stage she makes u feel a very big part of the show...she deems so much more at ease now on stage even while her voice sometimes fails here...to put the 60's/70/s/80's/and 90's voice with her now seemingly so relaxed performance, would be perfect...YENTL is and always will be for me the pinnacle of her reign as THE voice supreme...
Melissa25
Stand-by
I will always LOVE Babs but I have to agree with Besty. This just wasn't that good. I rushed to see her back in 2006 at Madison Square Garden and felt disappointed then so I did not feel compelled to head to Brooklyn. I had to endure Il Divo back in 2006. At least watching Great Performances, I could fast (very fast) forward through Il Volo.
bwayboy22
Stand-by
I'm not trying to argue here, and I respect your opinion, but what flows through in a movie and through a filmed concert are very different things.
uncageg
Broadway Legend
My understanding is that she let it be known that she was under the weather but went ahead with the concerts. You could tell there was something going on with her voice. I think she did a wonderful job of saving it for certain notes. Really enjoyed the concert and I am not a hardcore fan.
Just give the world Love.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
I want to be clear that it's not her age or even the condition of her voice that left me disappointed.

It's the caution and the calculation she brings to every song, every note, every step she takes on the stage. There is no abandon, no spontaneity, no fearlessness in delivering a song. Yes, she's more calm and composed, but I think she is too calm and too composed. Way to rehearsed.

That has nothing to do with age or even the condition of her voice.

I miss her older, bolder attitude a lot more than I miss her youth.
sephyr
Featured Actor
From what I saw of the concert I enjoyed!!! She sounded great!! I liked the You're The Tope rewrite, Lost Inside of You, and the duet with her song moved me. She has a wonderful, regal quality in her voice now, which I appreciate. I want to see the whole show now.
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
I enjoy her but am not an over the top fan. Thought that it was necessary for me to attend one of her performances and I did go to the Back to Brooklyn concert. I didn't spend a lot of money so of course I was behind the stage and close to the top of the arena. From that vantage point I could see that every word she would speak or sing was available on several prompters. I was actually disappointed by that considering her years of entertaining. Yes I am aware that she forgot the words in Central Park etc etc.

I can only attribute the prompters to not only the fear but also the severe demands that she places upon herself for perfection. I missed the PBS broadcast but happily picked up the DVD/CD for $22 in Barnes & Noble. While watching it I can see her eyes glancing upwards to where she would be reading the prompter. So at least for the conversations she was definitely reading but also I noticed during the songs.

Regardless when listening to the CD she gives a stellar performance and that is all that matters to me.

For long time Barbra fans I have heard this wasn't "one of her best" but for me I was happy to have experienced her live.
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Saw her at a freezing night at the bowl, glad I got to see her live. Pity it wasn't 20 odd years ago at the MGM.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...