Please help me to pick a musical

calguy
Swing
Posted: 11/30/13 at 09:50am
Hello musical fans.
We will be in NYC for only one day on a Wednesday of December and we want to see a couple of musicals BUT which one. We are more into musicals like Les Miz, Phantom, Wicked where the ensemble sings and the voices are a big part of the show, We prefer voices over dance. Which ones would you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/30/13 at 10:59am
Kinky Boots has great ensemble numbers with amazing vocals as well as very inventive dance. Also go see Big Fish before it closes!!! It's a magical show!!!
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/13 at 11:59am
Kinky Boots no doubt.
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
gleek4114
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/30/13 at 12:05pm
Matilda is really good as well. It has about 6 ensemble numbers but the majority of the songs are solos.
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/13 at 12:15pm
Kinky Boots or Cinderella.

"I'm raisin hell and I'm a felon in a four foot frame" --- Bring It On: The Musical.
"It's supposed to hurt. That's how you know it meant something" -- Peter and the Starcatcher.
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/13 at 12:24pm
A Gentleman's a Guide to Love and Murder has a lot of wonderful singing, no dancing to speak of. If you like Carole King, go see Beautiful. Kinky Boots is, as others have said, extremely high energy (lots of dancing, but lots of singing too).
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/13 at 12:27pm
Don't waste your time with BIG FISH. I would probably go with PIPPIN (maybe you enjoy acrobatics) or KINKY BOOTS.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/13 at 12:30pm
PIPPIN.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
carlodowd
Stand-by
Posted: 11/30/13 at 02:48pm
Kinky Boots or Pippin. Great great shows!
calguy
Swing
Posted: 11/30/13 at 05:07pm
Thank you for your answer. I saw an old version of Pippin on youtube and there was way too much talking and some singing. Is the actual version the same?
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/13 at 05:53pm
"I saw an old version of Pippin on youtube and there was way too much talking and some singing."

Maybe you should just go see MOTOWN. That seems not have about zero book. Maybe you'll like it. Or maybe there's too much dancing.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
hak5
Understudy
Posted: 12/1/13 at 08:57am
PIPPIN is just magical, a MUST see!
mikey2573
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/1/13 at 10:20am
A CHRISTMAS STORY is probably the best musical from last year and it is returning (sadly to the theater at Madison Square Garden) for the holidays. Great music, great dancing, and a funny (and ultimately very moving) story.