Comscore

A question about The Sound of Music broadcast

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Does anyone know how they plan to work in advertising into the mix of this live performance of The Sound of Music? I was under the impression that they were not going to make any cuts to the material but also realized that they most likely have to squeeze ads in there some way or another. Does anyone know how they are going to do this?
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
Featured Actor
Does it matter???
Shows seen in 2014 (NYC unless otherwise noted): 1/12 Working (Lyric Stage, Boston); 1/18 The Underpants (Hartford Stage); 1/25 The Bridges of Madison County (had seen at Williamstown Theatre Festival); 1/25 Beautiful; 1/26 Machinal; 2/1 Laughter on the 23rd Floor (Ocean State Theatre); 2/2 The Lyons (2nd Story Theatre); 2/8 Outside Mullingar; 2/8 Bronx Bombers; 2/9 Little Me (Encores!); 2/16 Seven Keys to Baldpate (2nd Story Theatre); 2/23 Witness Uganda (ART, Cambridge MA); 3/8 The Happiest Song Plays Last; 3/8 Rocky; 3/9 The Other Josh Cohen (Paper Mill Playhouse); 3/15 4000 Miles (Long Wharf Theatre) ; 3/23 The Whale (Speakeasy, Boston); 3/29 Mothers and Sons; 3/29 Buyer & Cellar; 3/30 Of Mice and Men; 4/5 Becoming Cuba (Huntington Theatre, Boston); 4/6 45 Seconds from Broadway (Mansfield Music & Arts Society); 4/12 Bullets Over Broadway; 4/12 A Raisin in the Sun; 4/13 Les Miserables (saw original Broadway run plus recent national tour); 4/19 We Will Rock You (PPAC); 4/23 Veronica Meadows (Trinity Square Rep); 4/26 Aladdin; 4/26 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; 4/27 If/Then; 5/3 Book of Mormon (PPAC, Providence RI; seen twice on Broadway previously); 5/4 42nd Street (Ocean State Theatre; had seen original Broadway production); 5/10 Violet; 5/10 Cabaret; 5/11 The Cripple of Inishmaan; 5/18 Light in the Piazzo (Wilbraham Players); 5/24 Casa Valentina; 5/24 Heathers: The Musical; 5/25 The Realistic Joneses; 6/7 Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill; 6/7 Act One; 6/8 Grease (Paper Mill Playhouse); 6/22 Fingers & Toes (Ivoryton Playhouse); 6/28 Holler If Ya Hear Me; 7/3 Working on a Special Day (Barrington Stage); 7/4 Kiss Me Kate (Barrington Stage); 7/4 The Mystery of Irma Vep (Berkshie Theatre); 7/5 June Moon (Williamstown Theatre Festival); 7/6 Madagascar (Chester Theatre Company); 7/13 Me & My Girl (Reagle Music Theatre; had seen national tour); 7/19 Guys and Dolls (Ocean State Theatre); 7/20 Monty Python Live (Mostly) (local movie theater); 7/27 Hay Fever (2nd Story Theatre); 8/3 Finding Neverland (A.R.T.); 8/8 Dancing Lessons (Barrington Stage Company); 8/9 Design for Living (Berkshire Theatre); 8/9 The Visit (Williamstown Theatre Festival); 8/10 The Golem of Havana (Barrington Stage Company); 8/17 Singin' in the Rain (Reagle Music Theatre; previously seen at Ogunquit Playhouse); 8/23 Newsies (4th time overall); 8/23 Sex with Strangers; 8/24 Run For Your Wife (Granite Theatre; previously seen in London); 8/30 And Then There Were None (2nd Story Theatre); 9/6 It's Only a Play; 9/6 The Money Shot; 9/7 The Opponent; 9/11 Broadway Bound (Your Theatre; had seen on Broadway in 1989); 9/14 Ether Dome (Hartford Stage); 9/20 The Sorcerer (Theater at Monmouth); 9/21 The Witches of Eastwick (Ogunquit Playhouse); 9/28 Comedy Is Hard! (Ivoryton Playhouse); 10/2 From Here to Eternity (local movie theater); 10/4 Far From Heaven (Speakeasy Theatre, Boston); 10/4 Sweeney Todd (Lyric Stage, Boston; saw original Broadway run); 10/11 The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time; 10/11 On the Town; 10/12 Can-Can (Paper Mill Playhouse); 10/18 Holiday Inn (Goodspeed); 10/19 My Fair Lady (Ocean State Theatre; seen yet again) ... Forthcoming: 10/25 You Can't Take It With You; 10/25 The Last Ship; 10/26 This Is Our Youth; 11/1 Love Letters; 11/2 Dial 'M' for Murder (Ocean State Theatre); 11/8 The Circus in Winter (Goodspeed); 11/15 The Elephant Man; 11/15 The River; 11/16 The Country House; 11/22 The Tale of the Allergist's Wife (Lyric Stage, Boston); 12/6 Disgraced; 12/6 Honeymoon in Vegas (had seen at Paper Mill Playhouse); 12/7 A Delicate Balance; 12/13 Picasso at the Lap in Agile (Long Wharf Theatre); 12/14 Barefoot in the Park (Trinity Square); 12/20 The Real Thing; 12/20 The Illusionists; 12/21 Side Show; 12/28 White Christmas (5th time overall)
Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Broadway Star
I think they'll be squeezing in commercials in between from the end of a scene, to the beginning of the next.
JohnyBroadway Profile Photo
JohnyBroadway
Broadway Legend
It will work just like an SNL episode. The breaks will be used for scene changes, as earlier reported.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
It's the stage version- not a film. They (I assume) will be able to insert commercials after each (or any) scenes and of course at intermission.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Kountry Pride Farms Sausage is now one of Maria's favorite things.
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
High on a hill was a low-fat goat cheese!

Now only $4.99 for 4 oz.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
In all seriousness, I wish they would do the commercials live, too, just like the "golden age."

I want Natalie Portman to demonstrate the modern microwave before she segues back to Nonnburg Abbey.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Updated On: 11/25/13 at 09:38 PM
IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Laura Benanti mentioned in one of the interview videos that they would use the commercial breaks for set & costume changes!
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Oh man. I so wish they were doing the commercials live. That would be hilarious.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
Patash Profile Photo
Patash
Broadway Legend
Maybe I've missed it, but will there be an audience? Or are the sets scattered around a huge sound stage and they'll simply move from set to set?

I'm looking forward to the Clearasil commercial following "I am Sixteen", and the Patagonia commercial after Climb Every Mountain.

jemjeb2
Stand-by
Jmplayer - the question re: commercials - it matters no more or less than the l-o-n-g list of shows you've seen or plan to see. I know bragging rights are apparently important to you, but no one else cares.
neonlightsxo
Broadway Star
No audience, it's on a soundstage.
musicalfool
Chorus Member
That's too bad - a live audience would really add a level of tension and excitement, particularly since they'd be in on the "behind the scenes" changes happening during commercials.
RooMcGoo Profile Photo
RooMcGoo
Swing
How DO You Solve a Problem Like Maria? ....*cut to Pharmaceutical commercial*
Roo McGoo: Stories that Sing
http://roomcgoo.com/
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
I'm wondering how they are going to deal with somebody if they get sick. If they have laringytis, will they allow them to lip synch their songs?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
fbueller
Stand-by
Kountry Pride Farms Sausage is now one of Maria's favorite things.

^^^^^^^^^^^
||||||||||||||||||||

T H I S ! ! !

Updated On: 11/28/13 at 11:43 AM
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
If there is no audience, why is it live?
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
^^^^ Gimmick.
ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
If you're from Africa then why are you white?
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
^^^^ Gimmick.

Lame. They might as well do a few shots per scene and edit it all to look good.

It makes no sense otherwise.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
JMplayer, your ridiculous signature is juvenile. NO one cares what you've seen nor do we care to have to scroll past it. Grow up.
<-----craves juicy pizza
MadAboutTheBoy Profile Photo
MadAboutTheBoy
Understudy
Isn't the television-viewing public the audience? I thought that was the whole point.
GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
I suppose doing it live is also an excuse to avoid competing with the lavishness (and cost) of the Julie Andrews film.

But I think "live TV" is only interesting if somebody screws up really badly.
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Isn't the television-viewing public the audience? I thought that was the whole point.

We wouldn't know if it's live or not, however. Plus, I can only imagine the lack of applause after each number. Awkward.

But I think "live TV" is only interesting if somebody screws up really badly.

I hope so, otherwise I don't see the point.
GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Especially since they are singing to pre-recorded music--which makes the show a lot less "live" in my book.

Page: