Comscore

What Are Your Favorite 'Family Friendly' Musicals?

BillyButler Profile Photo
BillyButler
Chorus Member
What musicals or plays with music are your favorites? Doesn't have to be Broadway, and can be any type; dark, funny, serious, etc.
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
"Traditional" or "Non Traditional" family?
BillyButler Profile Photo
BillyButler
Chorus Member
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Priscilla was good. I saw it twice and there was a lot of family in the house both times. The first time I saw it, Adam Lambert was even there.
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
For a traditional family, I'd suggest Annie. For a non traditional family I'd suggest Annie, too.
promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
Broadway Star
The Sound of Music, Annie, Wicked. I just saw The Lion King and it was AMAZING, although I did see some kids getting ind of scared from the actors in the aisles.
Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
Featured Actor
MATILDA
Brian07663NJ Profile Photo
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
Naked Boys Singing
I took my Grandmother with my gay friends
not kidding
I took my Family with my "Family"
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
Stand-by
Definitely Matilda!
mamaleh
Broadway Star
MATILDA and A CHRISTMAS STORY.
jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
THE KING AND I involves children, teachers and no four letter words. It might be about more than that and have a lot of sexual overtones, but what little kid would get that?

Hell, INTO THE WOODS gets done by kids so much these days, we could even call IT family friendly. Or GUYS AND DOLLS. Or FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. Just because there's death, blood,, strippers, gambling and a pogrom in each respectively doesn't make any less "family friendly."

Family friendly is such a dumb, safe buzzword. I say make your child's first exposure to musical theater MY FAIR LADY (like me) and see where it goes.
onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
Leading Actor
spring awakening
Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek
PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
Featured Actor
To me, family friendly means it isn't too dark and they'll probably understand it. Also, it has to have enough in the way of visuals and movement to keep them engaged. My list would be:
Annie
Shrek
A Christmas Story
Matilda
Probably Wicked
Lion King (Maybe)
Spiderman
Little Mermaid
Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
Depending on the family, Jesus Christ Superstar
Again depending on the family, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat
Again depending on the family, Fiddler on the Roof
Anything Goes (which bores me to death)
Pajama Game
Thoroughly Modern Millie (fortunately, most young kids won't get the sex slave part)
Depending on the Family, 1776

You alone can make my song take flight.
Updated On: 11/22/13 at 11:38 PM
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Oh! Calcutta!
charliebrown5
Understudy
Peter Pan
R+H Cinderella
MVintheheartland
Chorus Member
Music Man!
chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Starlight Express
IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
I enjoyed Mary Poppins, but overall I think my favorite is Matilda. There is infinite wisdom in When I Grow Up alone.
I leave the room smiling.
Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
Understudy
True story: A town in NH thought Urinetown didn't seem family friendly, so they did Cabaret instead.
"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

BROADWAYWORLD TV