SIDE SHOW - reviews

Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/18/13 at 08:59pm
Variety just posted a very positive review of the West Coast production. I can't seem to link it for some reason but I'm sure someone will soon.
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/18/13 at 09:05pm
Bill Condon has reworked “Side Show,” the 1997 tuner succes d’estime — translation, floppo with cult status — into a handsome production that will follow its bow at the La Jolla Playhouse with a Kennedy Center run in the summer. Redux firms up the backstory of conjoined twins Daisy and Violet Hilton and provides a fitting showcase for one of the 1990s’ greatly underappreciated scores. If the spectacle doesn’t quite take flight, for reasons old and new, unquestionably it dazzles...

http://variety.com/2013/legit/reviews/regional-legit-review-side-show-directed-by-bill-condon-1200850911/
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
ZiggyCringe
Leading Actor
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/19/13 at 12:49am
I don't get that review, especially this part:

"Still, there’s a thematic emptiness at the heart of “Side Show.” Daisy and Violet are portrayed as worthwhile individuals no different from anyone"

How are Daisy and Violet supposed to be portrayed? They are conjoined twins. There is no happy ending here. And that's the heart of the show. It's not "thematic emptiness," it's actually what happened. Which makes for dramatic tension. And, IMO, a damned good musical.
Up In One
Featured Actor
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/19/13 at 02:06pm
Good if tempered review...

"Side Show" probably isn't fated to be a blockbuster any more than Daisy and Violet were meant to be mainstream superstars, but the musical deserves a longer life. This production left me feeling haunted, and not simply over its unrealized potential. This tender freak show will break your heart
LA Times Review of Side Show revival
Updated On: 11/19/13 at 02:06 PM
Up In One
Featured Actor
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/19/13 at 02:13pm
Stylish 'Side Show' sidesteps depth

Reconceived musical has strong songs, standout performances but goes light on grit
U T SanDiego Side Show review
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/19/13 at 02:16pm
Loved LA Times saying "This production left me feeling haunted...This tender freak show will break your heart."

I really loved Side Show and am SO glad I got to see it!
Still love listening to Ripley and Skinner...plus Norm Lewis and Hugh Panaro!
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
taylor_kras
Chorus Member
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/19/13 at 04:00pm
I don't get that review, especially this part:

"Still, there’s a thematic emptiness at the heart of “Side Show.” Daisy and Violet are portrayed as worthwhile individuals no different from anyone"

I think they are saying that, since they are portrayed by beautiful girls simply standing side by side, they are already like everyone else except with a stronger gravitational pull to one another. I'm sure the original faced the same problem since neither is actually version is actually joining the actors by costume.
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
SIDE SHOW - reviews
Posted: 11/20/13 at 12:09pm
Variety: For all their leering prurience, cable side shows are messy and real in a way “Side Show,” in both 1.0 and 2.0 incarnations, pointedly sidles away from becoming.

Very positive? Matt Rogers you need to be a Spin Dr.