King KoItng to take the Broadway?

tazber
Broadway Legend
King Kong to take the Broadway?
Posted: 11/12/13 at 10:14pm
I thought Cinderella was doing better. Interesting that it won't be bothering with The Foxwoods though.
Link
....but the world goes 'round
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/13 at 11:40pm
I just saw the show last week, and am quite surprised to read that Craig Lucas wrote the book, since the storytelling was really quite atrocious.
IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 12:29am
What if we had Spider-Man, Rocky, AND King Kong all on Broadway at the same time?!
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:15am
So, has Spiderman announced its closing, and I was just not aware? I couldn't tell if the article meant that the rumor was King Kong taking the Foxwoods or that Spiderman was closing.
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:32am
The article seems to imply that even if Spider Man does close after the holiday season that it seems unlikely that the Foxwoods would be ready for another production in the timeframe that the producers of King Kong would like.

And as of yet Spider Man still has no closing date set.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
charliebrown5
Understudy
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:47am
"What if we had Spider-Man, Rocky, AND King Kong all on Broadway at the same time?!"

It would save me a lot of money on a trip to NYC to see shows. I have no desire to see any of them.

What is the target audience for Rocky and King Kong? Are a lot of people on here looking forward to these shows?
Nein
Swing
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:50am
It sounds horrible
bobs3
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 04:18am
"Do you not know that King Kong the first was just three foot six inches tall? He only came up to Faye Wray's belly button! If God could do the tricks that we can do he'd be a happy man!" (Eli Cross played by Peter O'Toole -- THE STUNTMAN 1980)
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/13 at 08:13am
I have no interest in Rocky or Spider-Man, but I wouldn't mind seeing King Kong. I had thought it was gonna take the Foxwoods, since Spidey probably won't last past February.
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:47pm
Please don't put Rocky in with those, Rocky is actually very good and I feel sorry for the ones who won't watch it because they are Pre judging it, your missing a really good show.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
BwayGeek2
Stand-by
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:50pm
Hope not! The movie was great, let's end it there!
Starship
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/13 at 02:55pm
I honestly feel King Kong targets more of the tourist crowd, much like Spider-Man. I never really thought King Kong to be a legit musical. I kinda felt like during the initial development of the show, the producers were more interested in the spectacle of having a large puppet on a Broadway/Australian stage rather than creating a musical adaptation of the show.
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 03:48pm
King Kong: what on earth do any of these characters have to sing about?

And don't even mention the ape.

What are they thinking? If they are thinking at all.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 04:31pm
The music I heard sounded kinda cool. It's like "Bullets Over Broadway" - right? Where they are just using other songs?
Starship
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/13 at 05:16pm
So when King Kong picks up Ann Darrow, she sings Defying Gravity?
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/13 at 05:25pm
As some brilliant person on Facebook said, I would love it if Patti Lupone did King Kongs voice.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/28/14 at 11:37am
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
jbroadway4
Stand-by
Posted: 1/28/14 at 11:44am
I'm actually really excited to see it! The clips I've seen look spectacular and music also sounds really good.
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/28/14 at 11:45am
The Foxwoods Theatre is the perfect place for this.
kade.ivy
Stand-by
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:17pm
Honestly, who didn't see this coming? Very exciting!
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:25pm
Can anyone see this lasting a long time, though?
nomore.org
kade.ivy
Stand-by
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:29pm
It's gotten decent reviews in Australia, I think. If it's a good show, it'll run for years. If not, the spectacle of it may keep it open for around the length that spectacle kept Spider-Man open.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:34pm
It looks pretty cool, I just hope it's not a crazy disaster like Spiderman seemed to be for its entire run.

The performance starts at 2:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVyN67wxH0
nomore.org
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:35pm
It's not (or wasn't) a good show. The King Kong puppet is amazing - but then I remembered it has kind of been done before (WAR HORSE),and I don't think it is as amazing as the flying during Spider-man. Still, I could imagine it being successful in NYC with the right word of mouth and marketing.

iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:51pm
A friend who I saw Spider-Man with saw this in Australia. He had problems with the book, but said the spectacle far surpasses the flying in Spider-Man (which we both found to be underwhelming).
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/28/14 at 04:12pm
Well I suppose we agree to disagree (I also have seen both live). Has he seen War Horse? I had never seen people flying over the audience during a musical (Spider-man), but I have seen a bunch of people controlling a very large puppet (War Horse).

Updated On: 1/28/14 at 04:12 PM

Page: