Comscore

Emma Thompson to make stage debut as Lovett in the NY Phil's Sweeney Todd

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
I have never been a fan. Not excited for this at all. There are so many better and more talented choices.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
OMG

OMG

OMG
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I'm still Shitting my pants.
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
yes!! hopefully tickets will be reasonable.
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Immediately... What a horrible choice! Oh God
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
I'm still OMG-ing.

I've been watching her films lately. Not so much by dedicating an Emma Thompson Film Festival on my TV, but I kept thinking how underused she is and how brilliant she is as I watch her movies.

I hope she has a worthy Sweeney!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
I'm intrigued by this choice. Obviously, she'll act the heck out of the role. Does anyone have any idea if she can sing (properly would be better)?
Susan Haskins (Theatre Talk): "I love children. That's why I work with Michael (Riedel)."
somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
best12bars, it's already been announced that Bryn Terfel will play Sweeney.

Thompson is astonishingly good casting. I cannot wait.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Let's hope she can make the role her own; I imagine with her dry English wit it will be a very different Mrs. Lovett.

Let's also not forget that Thompson was the original Sally in the 1980s London Revival of Me and My Girl opposite Robert Lindsay, and she sings on that recording, and she sings pretty well, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I still don't like the idea. But it's a good gig for her especially with the whole Saving Mr. Banks film coming out, etc.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Terfel does a decent enough Sweeney. But OMG EMMA THOMPSON.

You are very lucky New Yorkers. I think she'll be magic.
somethingbypuccini 2 Profile Photo
somethingbypuccini 2
Stand-by
I'm a fan of her work, but never a particularly avid one. This casting is certainly different from what I was expecting and hoping for, but I do think she has the potential to be really fantastic. It won't stop me from seeing the show, so I'm hopeful that she'll be great.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
I cannot believe they got her! She really should have played the role in the film. She's gonna be ridiculously brilliant! Like they pretty much couldn't have gotten a more appropriate actress for the role; she'll be funny, she'll be scary, she'll be tragic, it'll be perfection.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
bobs3
Broadway Legend
She also had a television sketch comedy series in 1988 in the UK called THOMPSON on which she sang regularly including a memorable sketch where she belted "Can That Boy Foxtrot" in a laundromat. Kenneth Branagh, Imelda Staunton and Robbie Coltrane were regulars on the series.
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Guess I'm in the minority in my views, but I am happy everyone else is happy
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Legend
qolbinau must be pissed.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy
themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend

This is pretty exciting, but now I'm just reminded all over again -- and imagine it will be even more painfully clear when he performs alongside Ms. Thompson -- what a boring actor Bryn Terfel is
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
"qolbinau must be pissed."

qolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
I am disappointed but this casting is still somewhat exciting. ACL2006 the tickets have been on sale for a month or two. I will be at the first performance.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
I'm a little peeved that they didn't go and cast more a singer than actress for a concert production.

On that note - will this production be recorded for TV/DVD/CD?
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
I already have tickets. I was excited just to be seeing Bryn Terfel sing Sweeney. But THIS...

This is beyond the beyond.

Beyond the BEYOND the beyond.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
Stand-by
I like her. I think she will play the character really well...I am just unsure if she can sing. I hope she can sing it.
GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Let's also not forget that Thompson was the original Sally in the 1980s London Revival of Me and My Girl opposite Robert Lindsay

Thank you. I was certain this wasn't her "stage debut".
Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
Broadway Legend
Sometimes living away from NYC makes me sick to my stomach.
Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Sublime casting.

She's a great dramatic actress, extraordinarily funny, and she can sing.

It wasn't for nothing that back at Cambridge she was dubbed "Emma Talented" by the likes of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

Page:

Advertisement Advertisement