Why are the Venus In Fur film actors so old?

Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Does the play specify younger actors? The two cast in the French film version look like Kim Cattral and a very mature male. It's not very sexy. Will there be a US film version with Nina? I hope so.

Im not trying to sound ageist, but part of the erotic element was the youthfulness of Nina and Hugh. A menopausal Vanda doesn't do it for me.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
oncemorewithfeeling2
Stand-by
The casting notices for the play were pretty specific about the roles geared towards 20 and 30 something actors. From what I've seen about casting for Polanski's film version, it seems that he took his own route and went with what he wanted.

I loved the play and the way Nina and Hugh brought them to life. But like it's been said, I see Vanda's youth as being part of her appeal and what makes her character so vibrant.
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
I don't agree that it couldn't work, or that it would radically be changed by having these characters played by older actors. In fact I can actually see it being quit rich that among the things that shocksthe director about Vanda is that he wanted a younger actress, someone he could control, and he surprisingly finds himself being seduced and controlled by a woman much older than he would have seriously considered.

btw I say this as someone who loves the play, the Broadway production and was enthralled by Arianda's performance.

Updated On: 9/25/13 at 11:03 PM
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
The actress who plays Vanda in the film, Emmanuelle Seigner, is Roman Polanski's wife. He pursued the project so he could make it as a vehicle for her.

That should tell you all you need to know. There's nothing "conceptual" about it.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
What somethingwicked said. Seigner is married to Polanski, and that's just about the only reason the film exists. A shame since the reviews were not that good, though they mainly faulted Polanski. I wish Arianda's performance had been immortalized on screen, oh well.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
suestorm
Broadway Legend
It is a shqme Nina isnt doing this. Almost criminial.
Its wierd beyond belief that Polanski picked an older woman for Vanda since we know he prefers them younger. Much too young.
Though I wilk say she is quite beautiful.
FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
I agree that Polanski's casting of Seigner may be suspect. I was responding, however, to the argument that Vanda and Thomas being older presents a problem. I disagree and see that the concept could work. My point wasn't that Polanski's casting was nec. concept-driven - I can't speak to that as I haven't seen the movie.

Updated On: 9/25/13 at 09:53 AM
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Star
^ Although he's grateful for the idea. Now he can justify his nepotism.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
I'm always willing to be an after the fact dramaturg or script doctor. It's among my better exercises in futility.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Seigner is supposedly very good in the film.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
TotallyEffed
Leading Actor
It really is a huge shame Nina didn't do a film version. I had to return three times to see her. Any idea when the film will be released in America?
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
The reviews I've read - Hollywood Reporter, Variety - are very positive for the movie, the screenplay (by Polanski and Ives) and Seigner and Amalric, whose physical resemblance to Polanski, some reviews note, in combination with the casting of the director's wife, may provide a resonant layer. Seigner had an impressive, brief appearance in La Vie en Rose, where she certainly showed earthiness, and, lest it be assumed nepotism is the be all here, has a great, commanding look for Vanda. Amalric has given many outstanding performances including those in Diving Bell and Munich.
oncemorewithfeeling2
Stand-by
As of right now, there's no US or Great Britain release date has been put on IMDB. Release date in France is November 13.
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Star
Oh, that's right, David Ives wrote this! Well... glad to see DOTV didn't dampen Polanski's enthusiasm for working with him.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik
canmark
Broadway Legend
>> The actress who plays Vanda in the film, Emmanuelle Seigner, is Roman Polanski's wife. He pursued the project so he could make it as a vehicle for her.

Her dress(!) at Cannes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2330919/Now-thats-daring-Roman-Polanskis-wife-Emmanuelle-Seigner-shows-eye-popping-cleavage-loud-red-dress-Cannes.html
Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)