New Frank Wildhorn musical

philly03
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 09:24am
Didn't take too long:

A Christmas Carol – November 20 - December 21

by: Charles Dickens; Music by: Frank Wildhorn; Lyrics by: Jack Murphy; Book by: Jack Murphy and Vincent Marini

From the team that brought you Flat Rock's new hit musical Zelda, comes a brand new, modern interpretation of A Christmas Carol that takes the famous Dickens story and infuses it with laughter, love and brand new score that celebrates the holiday season.

Curious to see what he does with it!
Flat Rock Playhouse 2014 Season
hak5
Understudy
Posted: 9/22/13 at 09:48am
o no, he's gonna ruin that classic story!
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 10:20am
Yes, very curious to see how much Wildhorn and Murphy can screw this one up!
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 10:22am
Gee, this sort of makes me wish we could "block" composers.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 10:38am
There is no Anti Wildhorn prejudice. Yeah right

J
Juan Dariens score was nominated over J/H. You really hear artists singing ditties from this. Meanwhile his songs are famous the world over. His musicals are known worldwide and he is a success. I guess the entire world is wrong and us smart folks in NY know better
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 10:38am
God damn public domain.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 10:43am
Cue the eye roll. You guys fall over yourself for really boring claptrap. Why waste time speaking to those who have a closed mind re Wildhorn.
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 10:56am
Wonder how many pop ballads he'll shoehorn into this one.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 11:36am
The more the better

When others write soaring ballads it is classic theater. When Wildhorn does it we have cheesy bombast. Now I get it.
philly03
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 11:36am
I love Wildhorn, but there have been many adaptations of this- a popular Christmas title in the public domain, as opposed to choosing another popular title.

I imagine he will follow a bit like the Menken version, giving each ghost a big ballad and a sappy love duet for Emily and Scrooge to boot.

Vincent Marini is very talented director, but I also have to assume that he's hoping a Wildhorn fanbase will be attracted to the theatre (didn't they nearly go bankrupt a few months ago?).
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 11:45am
I remember the one with Gregory Hines Comin Uptown.

The critics ripped that and it closed. It was the death knell of that composing team.

Do not openly praise Wildhorn as you will have the villagers come after you with torches and pitchforks. As Frankensteins monster said "Wildhorn - Bad "

Updated On: 9/22/13 at 11:45 AM
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 06:40pm
I love Wildhorn's music, but I'm perfectly content with the Menken/Ahrens musical adaptation that played Madison Square Garden and I see no reason for yet another adaptation. I'm not interested in this project at all.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
OperaBwayLover
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/22/13 at 07:22pm
Given the many cinematic adaptations of the story, and dramatic adaptations, I say why not? At the most, get the regional rights out early and make a profit via community theatre production rights fees.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 08:09pm
Bring it on
Honandma
Swing
Posted: 9/22/13 at 08:11pm
Is he mental or just likes wasting producers money
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 08:34pm
He believes in himself

No one forces anyone to invest
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/22/13 at 09:42pm
If it ain't got The Muppets in I don't care
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
A Director
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/23/13 at 01:43am
Mr. Roxy,

Are you being paid to be Frank Wildhorn's shill?
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 03:28am
I hope Wildhorn goes on Shark Tank one day. I'd love to see how he convinces rich people to invest on his flops.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 04:39am
Roxy IS Wildhorn!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 11:37am
Mr. Roxy - I got to admit I like Wildhorn's songs better when they were sung by his ex- wife Linda Eder.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 12:59pm
He is writing the score for a Christmas show at a local theatre... He's not aiming for broadway or wasting producers's money. The man is allowed to write music.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 01:05pm
Well, there should be a law banning him from that freedom....
It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies. - Mike Royko, Columnist & Pulitzer Prize winner
all that jazz
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 01:18pm
It's one thing to talk about his flops, but to say the man should stop writing music is beyond ridiculous. He has composed some of the most soaring and powerful pop ballads to ever grace the broadway stage.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 01:35pm
You need to look up the words 'Sarcastic' and 'Hyperbole.'
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/23/13 at 01:48pm
Are the critics going to just post scathing reviews now?
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV