Most Epic Song Climax?

Phan#24601
Stand-by
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:19pm
What would you guy say is the most epic song climax from a show tune? For me, it's pretty obvious, but it had to be said: "Memory (Reprise)". Period.
Absolute BEST version of "Memory" ever!
My biggest pet peeve right now is when people pronounce it "Marry-us" and not "Mah-ree-us".
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:21pm
I love Cats, but that award would have to go to "Dallas... I'm Coming" from the Debbie Does Dallas musical. No question, no contest.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
eperkins
Leading Actor
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:25pm
I don't know, but Rose's Turn has got to be way up the list.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:26pm
Yeah the 'Everything's coming up Rose' section at the end of Rose's Turn is electric. Especially Lansbury's version.

Also the ending of Cabaret IMO - especially Natasha Richardson's version. Chilling.
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:31pm
"And I Am Telling You" has a show-stopping moment built into it. The number keeps going for about 16 bars after the audience has lost its mind, to say nothing of the character.

This has never not worked.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:35pm
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 02:42pm
It depends on what your definition of a climax is. In the musical sense, that's a tough one. In the literal sense, but within a musical theatre context, CATSNY is absolutely correct.
The Glenbuck Laird
Understudy
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 05:30pm
You'll never walk alone - end the thread
a-mad
Understudy
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 06:09pm
An obvious (and populist) choice... but I can't deny it - Defying Gravity

2nd choice - (tie) We'll Never Get to Heaven and Let them Hear You (Ragtime)
DooWahDiddy
Featured Actor
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 06:12pm
I nominate "Being Alive". Slow burn... explosion.
a-mad
Understudy
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 06:17pm
^ forgot about that one.... +1!
joshbrown31
Swing
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 06:26pm
The part in Another Winter In a Summer Town from Grey Gardens when they go "my season endeeeeed a long time ago!"

<3 scott frankel
jdavisinaustin
Swing
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 06:32pm
"Happiness" from Passion, though the climax is at the beginning.

I'd say most of the best ones are from songs written for women ("Rose's Turn" from Gypsy, "Lot's Wife" from Caroline or Change, "Old Maid" from 110 in the Shade). The only male one I can think of is "Soliloquy" from Carousel.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 06:48pm
There has never been a time when I heard Memory that I didn't get goose bumps at that one special note - but only when it's sung by BETTY BUCKLEY.
<-----craves juicy pizza
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 07:15pm
This is going to be based solely on cast recordings.

Matilda: That gorgeous moment in When I Grow Up when the key changes and the tempo picks up. "And when I grow up, I will have treats every day."

Grey Gardens: When Big and Little Edie hit the harmony on "My season eeeeeeended,"in Another Winter in a Summer town.
I leave the room smiling.
E.Davis
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 07:19pm
"This is Not Over Yet" from PARADE is a pretty magical moment.
"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 07:38pm
I'm glad someone mentioned "Soliloquy", but I'm a little chagrinned no one's mentioned "A Call From the Vatican" yet. Jane Krakowski is pretty epic on that revival recording, if we're taking the OP's question literally.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 07:58pm
"but only when it's sung by BETTY BUCKLEY."

There are a lot of fans of the late Laurie Beechman who would disagree with you on that one, Jane.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 08:45pm
Ted Neeley.

"WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHOULD I DIE?"

Never fails. Ever.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik
suestorm
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 08:45pm
Don't STOP BELIEVING Rock of Agea is about as Epic as it comes. The whole show comes out and sings with great reference of their characters "Journey" from main characters Sherrie and Drew to the strippers and burnouts.
FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
RozeeRossi
Chorus Member
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 08:49pm
For me, live, Once and For All from Newsies when the three levels are coming at you and the music just nails you. Never gets old for me.
justoldbill
Broadway Star
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 09:08pm
For my money, it's the "Ol' Man River" Finale Ultimo of the 1951 film of SHOW BOAT. It just doesn't stop. Add to that the close-up of Ava Gardner gently blowing a kiss to the departing Cotton Blossom, and you have something to remember.
Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 09:13pm
If we're talking about Newsies I love when the chorus comes crashing in at the end of the King of New York dance break.
I leave the room smiling.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 09:46pm
Oh COME on! Judge Turpin's climax during Johanna!
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
loudshroom
Swing
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 10:03pm
"Listening to You" (Tommy)
After Eight
Broadway Legend
Most Epic Song Climax?
Posted: 9/11/13 at 10:59pm
I find that the most exhilarating song climaxes come from the flurries, fillips, and flourishes the orchestra can add to a song after the singer stops singing. These can turn a wonderful climax into something transcendent.

Two of the most striking examples of this are found in my two favorite songs from Kwamina, both sung by the sublime, incomparable Sally Ann Howes: "You're As English As" and "What Happened to Me Tonight?" (A question I often ask myself after staggering out of some of today's unspeakable theatrical entities.)

In the latter piece, both the song and our hearts take flight as Ms. Howes's voice builds to a crescendo with her rapturous, repeated plea for new-found joy, "I hope it will stay!" After which the orchestra swells, swirls, and transports us all to a state of unfettered bliss. Oh, how many times when I listened to this song in those halcyon days did I too hope that the rapture it inspired would stay!

And fifty years later......

It has!

Updated On: 9/11/13 at 10:59 PM

Page: