Samples from 2013 Off-Broadway Cast Recording of THE LASY FIVE YEARS

jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Thoughts? I really enjoyed listening to the samples (they sound great), but it sounds like Adam's toned it down a bit since I saw the show in May. Betsy sounds amazing, as usual. :) Really glad I saw this show and it's getting a recording!
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Sounds great but there's already a definitive Original Cast album out there and a movie soundtrack coming in a few months....
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
There was a huge demand for this recording to be made. The other recording is old and the chemistry between Betsy and Adam was fantastic. It sounds great! I doubt anyone will care about the movie recording with an average singer like Anna Kendrick. Betsy Wolfe and Sherie Rene Scott > Anna Kendrick.
nomore.org
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Um..the movie soundtrack will sell 10x the amount of this recording. No one is going to care about some off-broadway recording with a cast no one has heard of.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
No offense to anyone meant but 10x? More like 100X or if the movie is any kind of a hit 1000X maybe? That inferior singer has sold a couple million pieces of a hit single and I'd be surprised if this OB recording sold 1000 copies.

Not that there is anything wrong with small, niche recordings but this one seems infinitely unnecessary. Especially when you get to the "funny voices" those two seem to be making....

No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 8/30/13 at 07:09 PM
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
It's good. I'll still only listen to my recording with Lauren Kennedy, though. Nobody's ever come close to matching how fantastical she was.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
"No one is going to care about some Off-Broadway recording with a cast no one has heard of."

Um, there was a huge demand for this album, and if you don't know who Mr. Kantor or Ms. Wolfe are, I honestly don't know what you're doing with your life.

They should have been in the movie, but they needed a big name for it, which is understandable. It's such a shame they didn't chose someone who can actually sing well. Ms. Wolfe sounds gorgeous on this recording.
nomore.org
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Sutton I think we've come down to "what do you mean by huge demand"? What DO you mean? Do you expect this album to sell 10,00 copies? More?
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Adam Kantor sounds like he's doing a poor imitation of Norbert Leo Butz.

There, I said it.
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
"Um, there was a huge demand for this album, and if you don't know who Mr. Kantor or Ms. Wolfe are, I honestly don't know what you're doing with your life.
"
"Mr. Kantor" and "Ms. Wolfe" are nobodies. Barely anyone in NYC knows them, let alone anyone internationally (the market for the movie). The fact that I can only tell you from posting here for 5 years that Kantor was a temporary replacement in N2N, was in Rent Off-Broadway, and I can't tell you a single credit for Betsy Wolfe says enough about them. Also, the fact that they stared in a short off-broadway run is enough to suggest that they are not well known. Well known people usually don't do off-broadway runs. There is nothing wrong with not being well known. But we shouldn't pretend they are well known when outside a small community they're not.

There is never a "huge demand" for any cast recording, so your claim that there was a "huge demand" for the recording is already false. Huge demand from the JRB fans maybe, but that isn't a large number of people. Can we please stop pretending that many people actually care about this recording, its stars or the show on a scale that is comparable to what will happen with the upcoming film release.

Not even a single person posted in this thread about 24 hours after it was posted, and the OP had to bump it! Please, please, please, gain some perspective.

Updated On: 8/30/13 at 08:34 PM
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
^ Ms. Wolfe was recently on Broadway in Everyday Rapture and Edwin Drood.

I also think she sounds incredible. Not fond of Mr. Kantor - I agree with the poor man's NLB comment.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Just to give you some perspective on original cast vs soundtrack sales, The Lion King Broadway Cast album has sold a very respectable 800,000 copies- while the movie soundtrack has sold TWENTY TIMES as much.

The original recording of L5Y is a bit of a phenomenon,having sold over 80,000 copies. I really can't this new recording doing 1/10th of that- but I bet the producers would be DELIGHTED if they managed to do that.

Updated On: 8/30/13 at 09:06 PM
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Put it this way - I buy almost every cast album that comes out and this isn't even close to the top of my "to get" list (seriously, I could buy a VERY nice car with the amount I've spent on cast albums). I wasn't impressed with the track samples at all.
I don't know how quickly I'll be bothering to go out and get this cast album.

And I had no idea who Kantor and Wolfe were (I think I may have heard the latter's name, but never the former before this).
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
The fact that I can only tell you from posting here for 5 years that Kantor was a temporary replacement in N2N, was in Rent Off-Broadway, and I can't tell you a single credit for Betsy Wolfe says enough about them.

Kantor was also in the closing cast of Rent on Broadway, which was filmed and released on DVD.
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
tazber
Broadway Legend
I'll get it because I love the score, but it sounds almost just like the original.

The little snips I heard seem to have close to the exact same orchestrations and Kantor sounds just like Butz.

....but the world goes 'round
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
"The fact that I can only tell you from posting here for 5 years that Kantor was a temporary replacement in N2N, was in Rent Off-Broadway, and I can't tell you a single credit for Betsy Wolfe says enough about them."

You must live outside of the state or aren't really familiar with New York theater. Do you attend NY theater at all? Betsy Wolfe was in 110 in the Shade, Merrily We Roll Along, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (a huge, Tony nominated musical) and she is starring in Bullets Over Broadway next year. She is very well known in New York. Adam was, of course, the last Mark ON Broadway when Rent closed. He was also in the recording of Rent on Broadway. Everyone knows that.

The Last 5 Years broke box office records for Second Stage Theatre, extended three times due to huge popularity and ranks among the longest-running productions in their history. It was a huge show and thousands saw it. It was a must see this past Spring. The reviews were amazing and it was such a beautiful production.

nomore.org
Updated On: 8/30/13 at 11:07 PM
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
I'm glad to hear you might have earned your investment back but my ignorance is testament how unknown they are. You think that the movie recording, which is going to be shown across the entire world, is going to be more popular than a recording of people you concede yourself might not be known to people outside the NY state or even the NYC theatre community? Ok.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
"You think that the movie recording, which is going to be shown across the entire world, is going to be more popular than a recording of people you concede yourself might not be known to people outside the NY state or even the NYC theatre community?"

No, I didn't say anything like that, at all, in my posts. But, since you didn't answer any of my questions, I would assume you don't live in here in NYC. New York theater is the best in the world, and the people here have the convenience to go to many different kinds of productions. Broadway shows are great but some of the best shows right now are found off and off off Broadway. Well known actors do Off Broadway shows all the time. And considering this theater community is the only theater community that truly matters in the Unites States, I doubt they care if people know them in other places. They are well known and very respected here, that's all that matters.

This is my final posting here but to take it back to the main point of the thread, this recording is gorgeous, the production was amazing, and the two well known actors had incredible chemistry. Have a fantastic evening!
nomore.org
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Got an early copy of the cast recording earlier this month. Completely forgot to post about it until now but just want to add that I think Adam Kantor sounds horrendous.

For those who saw the show, was he better live? Because for me this is cringeworthy.
adam.peterson44
Broadway Star
I saw the show live and absolutely adored Betsy Wolfe's singing and acting and thought that Adam Kantor also sounded good and acted well. I did listen to the snippets at the link and felt like Betsy still sounded good in those but Adam didn't sound as good as he had on stage (or maybe the snippets just didn't capture his best moments). I did very much enjoy his performance on the RENT DVD and live in this, so not sure why the recording doesn't show him off as well.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
"No, I didn't say anything like that, at all, in my posts."

This is what you said:

"There was a huge demand for this recording to be made. The other recording is old and the chemistry between Betsy and Adam was fantastic. It sounds great! I doubt anyone will care about the movie recording with an average singer like Anna Kendrick."

I'm sure you can understand that when you contrast "huge demand" for the off-broadway recording with "Nobody will care" about the movie soundtrack, you are making it sound like the off-broadway recording is going to sell more than the movie soundtrack. When obviously this is not going to be the case because nobody will know about the off-broadway production and its cast when the movie is going to be broadcast around the world.

Updated On: 8/31/13 at 03:26 AM
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
"For those who saw the show, was he better live? Because for me this is cringeworthy."

Yes, he was magical live. I think that he wanted to distinguish himself, and not sound like NLB. He was incredible.

"When obviously this is not going to be the case because nobody will know about the off-broadway production and its cast when the movie is going to be broadcast around the world."

I love how you think NO ONE saw this production and NO ONE knows about this recording. Tons of people know about this and have already bought this recording. Stop defending a small film that doesn't even have a movie studio backing it. It has no release date and no studio backing right now. How do you know the recording is going to be successful? Have you heard it? No, you have not. So, since you don't know where and when it's going to be broadcast, perhaps stop talking about things you obviously know nothing about. You didn't see this production which is unfortunate, so don't get on a discussion board and talk about a recording for a performance you didn't see, with known actors, you don't seem to know anything about. Comment on things you actually know about and have experienced. Like living outside of NYC and only seeing ridiculous commercialized musicals like Wicked and The Lion King.

nomore.org
Updated On: 8/31/13 at 04:29 PM
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Wow.
Can you not concede that the soundtrack will do better than this cast recording? With Jeremy Jordan who we all know can sing, and Anna Kendrick who managed to somehow turn a stupid little two minute song from a movie almost a year ago into a huge hit...that soundtrack won't do as well as this cast album with two people 99.99% of America has never heard of? Really? (And if you think I'm exaggerating, do the math).

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Thank you, jasonf. It is about doing the maths.

L5Y ran for approximately 85 performance off-broadway. This means AT MOST about 25,000 people saw this show. To put this into perspective, 24650 saw FOLLIES in TWO WEEKS between 09/25/2011 and 10/02/2011. Over 200,000 people saw FOLLIES. And THIS is a musical that is not exactly the most widely known or successful musical, either.

Now, let's say the film grosses a pathetic $4,000,000 at the box office. If the average ticket price was $15 (but I'm sure it's much lower), then about 270,000 people will see the movie. That's over ten times the amount of people who saw it off-broadway, and more than FOLLIES. And that's at a level where the film will probably be considered a disaster! With such a large amount of people viewing the film it is only logical that it will sell more than the off-broadway production.

"Like living outside of NYC and only seeing ridiculous commercialized musicals like Wicked and The Lion King"

lol *rolleyes*. To give you an example of well-known actors. When Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones toured Australia in DRIVING MISS DAISY people in Australia actually knew who they were and bought very expensive tickets to see the show. When Adam Kantor steps out on a BROADWAY stage I doubt anyone in the audience will know who he is or what he has done (probably because, he really hasn't done much). And this is COMPLETELY FINE, he is a new up and coming actor. He isn't a star. And that's ok! But I think we have to stop pretending that people are going to care about a recording with some guy who has one Broadway replacement credit, and a few off-broadway gigs, in comparison to an Academy Award winning actress and singer (Anna Kendrick), who through her various film credits has probably been in the public eye about 1000x more than Adam Kantor.

Updated On: 8/31/13 at 06:38 PM