MAMMA MIA! marquee is up at the Broadhurst

CapnHook
Broadway Legend
This is a rare moment in Broadway history when one show has marquees up at two different theatres.

The last time this happened was AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I'm just so happy that the most uncomfortable theatre on broadway will be taken up for years by a show I never plan to see again.
"I think Glee is way too sharp, smart, witty, clever and emotionally confronting for the masses." - Dave19 - "What's next? Snow Black and the 7 Swaggers? Shasquirta and the Beast? 101 Weavematians? Willis in Ghettoland?" - Dave19, in reference to the new ANNIE remake.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
What's going on with the casting? Would a venue move impact that at all? A couple of actor friends I have just signed on with the show; their contracts begin with the venue transfer and it is for 10 months.
"I'm fine, and my hips are fine. My false knee is fine. My false hips are fine. Everything's cooking." -Liza
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
The August Osage County move was unique as the theatres were next door to each other. Would like to see a picture of the Broadhurst with the Mamma Mia marquee.
JRybka
Broadway Legend
I didn't think the Broadhurst is that uncomfortable. And I have been there at least 1/2 dozen or so times.
"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."
DAME
Broadway Legend
That theater is not uncomfortable. Jordan; maybe your ass is just too big?
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
What's going into the Winter Garden?
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
CATS!

Oh, wait.....
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
mpd4165
Stand-by
Carlos-Rocky is going there, I believe.
sbflyfan
Broadway Star
It's called "ROCKY: Das Musical".
"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Dr. Jennifer Rinaldi will live on forever. Someone get her a Tony.
ARTc3
Broadway Star
It is indeed. At least that is the current plan.
ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.
TheaterBoy7777
Broadway Star

**Broadway Marquee Photos** www.facebook.com/BroadwayFlasher
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
That honestly looks very sad in comparison. Wonder if the tourists will be as drawn to a less flashy presentation.
"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
TheaterBoy7777
Broadway Star
**Broadway Marquee Photos** www.facebook.com/BroadwayFlasher
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I imagine they'll use marquee at the top of the theatre as well with the shows logo and perhaps the space above the entrance. When Les Mis was there, they added additional signage so perhaps Mamma Mia will as well
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Oh that marquee could be changed, if Riedel runs another of his campaign championing 'better marquess for the Broadhurst', like he did with Lucky Guy, which made ticket sales go through the roof.... but wait isn't he running a tandem one man campaign to be the next guvnor of Manhattan and to get Broadway to 'dim' their lights, when someone kicks the ...........
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
This and Phantom are right next door to each other... It will be a miracle if you can hear anything on 44th street over the obnoxious and rude tourist audiences.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I imagine they'll recycle the posters that they used last year when Mamma Mia! moved theatres in London for the upcoming move to the Broadhurst, have they started advertising that its moving yet in print media?
theaterfan862
Featured Actor
I think that these signs are temporary, at least I hope so. They surely have the money for new signs. I like like the idea of using the space like Les Miz did.
TheatreKid3
Broadway Star
I was hoping they would use the move to sort of "rebrand" the production altogether. Shift to the more electric blue/pink background and white lettering logo like the paint on the back of the Winter Garden. That white and navy is starting to show its age. Make it 2013!

Updated On: 8/26/13 at 04:16 PM
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
I would imagine that they don't want to go all out on the signage yet until the show actually stops playing at the Winter Garden. As it is I'm sure there will be people even now showing up at the Broadhurst who will then have to be sent north a few blocks.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I imagine most if the signage will be up by September with maybe additional signage added in the two weeks Mamma Mia! Is dark. The set most likely be loaded in during the dark weeks as well.
amoni2
Featured Actor
Of course it's a temp. Why would they decorate a theater that is still playing at another theater. You want to stand out front of The Broadhurst every night at showtime telling patrons the show is actually all the way up Broadway? The marquees and front of house are minimal because it is the next attraction and they will opening the box office soon. They will not open the box office with the "plastics" up.
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Mamma Mia should of just closed.
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
Here_I_Go_Again
Broadway Star
I hope they recast with a fresh group of newbies. I just saw the show in the UK with the new set and its not as bad as i thought it was going to be. It certainly is not nearly as big and flashy but they UK cast added SOOO much more than i've seen on B'way in awhile
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
I really hope they don't revert to the tour set. It looked like shipping boxes stacked up to make walls.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama

Page: