Comscore

5 Signs Your Gluten Allergy Is Fake

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/22/13 at 06:57pm
So true, about so many people I know!

Gluten Allergies however, somehow have become awesome. But no actual sufferer would ever brag about them. Because we know that when you say “I can’t eat gluten,” you’re not saying I’m unique and original, you’re actually declaring, “If I lick a crouton my insides fall out.” And insides falling out is not the sort of thing one discusses at parties.
Are you really allergic to gluten, or are you just doing it to seem cool? Here’s how you know, from a genuine Celiac sufferer…
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/22/13 at 07:06pm
If you're gluten free and you drink beer, you're just retarded.

I do talk about my gluten allergy at parties though because people usually ask why I brought my own food. That's kind of unavoidable. Does that make me a douche?
SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/22/13 at 07:11pm
No, just a nozzle. JK!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/22/13 at 09:23pm
You're a soccer mom/white woman between the ages of 30 and 50, you dress like Forever 21 robbed JCPenny, and you're self-diagnosed rather than getting real medical attention.
I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/22/13 at 09:30pm
1 sign your gluten allergy is fake: You think you have a gluten allergy.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/22/13 at 09:57pm
That post is a lame attempt to be witty. Fails miserably. You don't have to have Celiac to have health issues with gluten. It is shown to cause inflammation in many people. Many people experience improved health when they avoid it.

Also, beer doesn't always have gluten. Many brands don't. Lots of people with Celiac drink beer.

The writer is a moron.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
boggess Profile Photo
boggess
Stand-by
Posted: 8/23/13 at 12:07am
Some also say that a gluten-free diet helps clear up vitiligo. I've been meaning to try it myself as I have a patch on my leg. And lots of people say that they have more energy without eating gluten- I don't see how that's obnoxious. I've never heard someone claim it's magical. He just comes off as a child.
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Posted: 8/23/13 at 01:55am
Honestly, I'm not at all bothered by the fashion of self-diagnosing gluten allergies. I've had celiac most of my life (and am incredibly sensitive to Gluten. If I lick a crouton, my insides DO fall out- heck, if someone touches my food after touching bread, my insides fall out), and only
in the past few years, when a gluten-free diet became "stylish" was gluten-free food readily available at grocery stores. Companies started writing "gluten-free" on the packages, so I didn't need to pay 3X as much money for MnM's, companies have made cereals gluten-free, and I can just drive to the grocery store, and buy a loaf of bread, instead of having to make it, or order online at 15 dollars a loaf.
Also, like CatsNYRevival said, it's inevitable that, at social gatherings, the topic comes up. You decline food, people ask why, you tell them.
Bluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 08:05am
There really are more people with gluten issues now, due to engineered production of grain crops with higher gluten levels. The rise in patients with a celiac diagnosis is universal, with Italy and Ireland leading the way.
D2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 08:27am
I don't doubt that, Moony, but there is also a lot of self-diagnoses going on out there, which skews the numbers drastically. I know of one case in particular, a 30 - 50 year old white soccer mom who has tremendous food issues herself and subsequently has given each of her 3 kids food allergies for which there is no actual proof they have.

Having any kind of meal with them, whether at their house, in a restaurant, or even our own apartment, was torture.

Suffice to say we don't break bread with them anymore.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 08:32am
You mean, you don't break gluten-free bread with them anymore.
yr pal,
joey

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 08:34am
Et al, lah ... Poof! Cheyenne Jackson ordered me a drink at Standing Ovations 2 waayyyyyy before Girly hung out with him in the dressing room and he tickled D2.
D2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 08:34am
That too, PJ.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 8/23/13 at 08:34 AM
Bluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 08:37am
I wouldn't either - it's nasty.

I agree, Deet and I know "those types" as well. My celiac daughter has no use for them because they distort and diminish truly diagnosed cases. The stats I read for the increase in cases focused to medically diagnosed individuals. I should mention that diagnostic tools have greatly improved in the last decade, so that also contributes to the rise.
dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 09:07am
My friend has gluten sensitivity-which is NOT the same thing as an allergy. They try to limit their gluten intake as much as possible (not really a beer drinker anyway). However, I find the article fails to recognize that it's not an either or situation-there are people with gluten sensitivity-certainly not on the same scale as an allergy, but not immune to it as well.
Bluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 09:33am
Also, if you have a gluten sensitivity but continue to ingest gluten, your symptoms will get worse over time as your immune system gears up for battle.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 09:59am
"You decline food, people ask why, you tell them.'

Not really. You can smile and say "No thank you!" or "Looks lovely but I just can't." I do it all the time. Vegans and "gluten freaks" for some reason feel an irrepressible urge to share.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:02am
"I ate before I came" or "I've the raging ****s from last nights Mexican" also work.
Et al, lah ... Poof! Cheyenne Jackson ordered me a drink at Standing Ovations 2 waayyyyyy before Girly hung out with him in the dressing room and he tickled D2.
Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 04:56pm
Honestly, I'm not at all bothered by the fashion of self-diagnosing gluten allergies. I've had celiac most of my life (and am incredibly sensitive to Gluten. If I lick a crouton, my insides DO fall out- heck, if someone touches my food after touching bread, my insides fall out), and only
in the past few years, when a gluten-free diet became "stylish" was gluten-free food readily available at grocery stores. Companies started writing "gluten-free" on the packages, so I didn't need to pay 3X as much money for MnM's, companies have made cereals gluten-free, and I can just drive to the grocery store, and buy a loaf of bread, instead of having to make it, or order online at 15 dollars a loaf.

Also, like CatsNYRevival said, it's inevitable that, at social gatherings, the topic comes up. You decline food, people ask why, you tell them.

My mother and sister run into the same issues with dairy. They have to bring their own food to Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house. If anyone touches their food that touched dairy their insides falls out.

And, I'm also glad to see more and more "lactose free" items but they fall far behind the gluten fashion.
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 05:05pm
I'm not lactose intolerant, but I'm intolerant of people who talk about being lactose intolerant.

Take a friggin' Lactaid and shut up and eat your pizza.
yr pal,
joey

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/23/13 at 05:50pm
I have to say the amount of American friends who can only eat Gloten free stuff is amazing, yet I don't know a single one of my Brit friends who are. Maybe it's an American thing
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Posted: 8/24/13 at 01:25am
Um, Joe, not really. If people ask why I brought my own food, or am repeatedly declining food (not like it's any of their business, but whatever) then I respond with a simple "I can't eat gluten." I don't harp on about it, but it would be rude to just not respond to the question
Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/24/13 at 01:31am
Take a friggin' Lactaid and shut up and eat your pizza.

Ah, if it were only that easy
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Advertisement