PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
8/13 @3pm & 8/14 2pm and 8pm
Free Tickets
matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
Broadway Star
Thanks for posting!!!! Fingers crossed!
2014 Seen-It List: The Glass Menagerie, A Man's A Man, WOW (at BRIC), Bullets Over Broadway, Here Lies Love, Mothers and Sons, TONY Awards Dress Rehearsal
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
I wonder what their criterion is for selecting ticket winners.
<-----craves juicy pizza
jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
I signed up for two of the performances. Wonder if I'll get picked. Has PBS officially announced this broadcast yet? Glad it's being filmed.
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
But it's not really LIVE and it's not actually playing at LINCOLN CENTER! Ahhh!!!
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
and the site steals yet another story from the message boards and gives no credit, awesome.

Updated On: 8/8/13 at 07:26 PM
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Pat Cerasaro wrote/posted the article on the homepage, not Rob.

Glad this will be preserved, mainly for Lane's performance.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Sadly, no nudity will be included in this taped broadcast which will probably air sometime in late 2015.
broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Nudity wasn't integral to the plot, but I do think it added something artistically and helped the characterizations a bit. It definitely wasn't gratuitous.

Good point about the late 2015 though, oh PBS.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Nudity is always integral to the plot! It's the only reason I go to see plays.
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
They can't show ass on PBS?

Updated On: 8/8/13 at 08:05 PM
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
^I know they have in the past. There was male nudity in South Pacific.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
The Nance has full frontal (albeit brief.)

I'm assuming it will either just not happen on stage or since it's being filmed, they can just pick angles strategically not to show it.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
^How come nobody told me? As long as it's not Nathan Lane full frontal, I would have bought a ticket.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
For everyone's sake, it isn't Nathan. Jonny Orsini.
howardbf Profile Photo
howardbf
Understudy
PBS has shown male ass many times over the years, and full frontal in nude dance.
I particularly remember Steambath and Tales of the City.
Here's a link to Steambath on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDwlXua9dU.

I'm also putting it in the optional link field, but I doubt this will work.
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
since its a donor station i think they can technically get away with nudity after the certain time (after 10pm i believe)
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
And PBS got in a lot of flack for the male nudity IN Tales of the City which is why the sequel moved to SHowtime. I thought they managed to not show the brief nudity in South Pacific either--but I could be wrong (I know back when Passion was filmed, apparently there were two takes for the opening, one with nudity and one without, although obviously if that's true, the nudity take was never released, even on DVD.)
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
They removed the nudity from THE WOMEN, which was a real shame because it was such an absolutely hilarious moment in the show.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
The nudity in South Pacific did make it into the broadcast, and I believe there is a copy of Passion floating around with the nudity in. I haven't seen it, but I've seen it on trader's lists.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
That PASSION DVD you're referencing is Lincoln Center's copy of the show, not the one shot for release with no audience.
iluvtheatertrash Profile Photo
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Yeah, PBS doesn't show one whit of skin since the far-Right went after them in the early nineties.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
nycmusical
Chorus Member
I'm so happy they are doing this! such beautiful show
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
"The nudity in South Pacific did make it into the broadcast, and I believe there is a copy of Passion floating around with the nudity in. I haven't seen it, but I've seen it on trader's lists. "

Now I'm all the more upset about missing the chance to record South Pacific. (Feel free anyone if you know of a site to find a download of it...)

Thanks for the correction JC and everyone about Passion. I remember a piece in The Sondheim Review when it was about to be filmed where Lapine talked about plans to film two versions of the opening, but it seems he changed his mind at the last minute.

Liza's Headband--that's the regular "non-nudity" version filmed without an audience (random comment, but I usually prefer live shows are filmed with an audience--I hate pieces like Oklahoma! where they use a soundstage but they impose audience reaction shots--but it probably was smart to film Passion without one.) I suppose you do get to see a bit of side breast, but...

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV