Comscore

Is Zachary Quinto proving a draw in The Glass Menagerie?

ajh Profile Photo
ajh
Featured Actor
I know the upcoming production got terrfic reviews in Cambridge, Mass. and Cherry Jones is a beloved actress, but I was surprised when I tried to book on Telecharge just now for the first Sunday matinee in October that there are ONLY Premium seats available: there's nothing at regular price at all. If it's selling that well do we think it's because of Quintos' B'way debut. After all, the Jessica Lange-Christian Slater revival was only back in 2005. Thought I might wait to see if any discount codes come up, but not sure if that's such a bright idea.
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
"Thought I might wait to see if any discount codes come up, but not sure if that's such a bright idea"

And *that* is how they get you to pony up the big bucks.
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
ajh Profile Photo
ajh
Featured Actor
True that, FindingNamo! It has happened to me a couple of times where I got all excited, "ponied up the big bucks" and then saw offers coming through nearer the time!
So...I think I'll hang fire on this for a bit; it won't kill me not to see it, and the friends I'm going with won't pay more than $100 per seat.
jonyyboy07
Swing
You didn't select the button to choose your own seat on the buy tickets page. There are still tons of tickets left for all performances. It's a play as well so chances are it will be at TKTS.
Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
You're buying tickets early, so they are appealing to the die-hards right now. more seats and discounts will open up.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
mordav
Chorus Member
"You didn't select the button to choose your own seat on the buy tickets page."

I have never been able to get the "choose your own seat" function to work on Telecharge. Have they fixed it?
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
I can't say people don't know who he is, but he's not a box office big money draw. People didn't bang down the doors to see him in Boston or in Angels in America (and that was after the first Star Trek). He's a phenomenal actor and does have fans who will see him, but just watch that youtube video of him running around Flatiron and asking people who he was and no one really knew/cared. Even if you are a huge Trekker and love him as Spock, the majority of those people wouldn't pay to see a Tennessee Williams drama.

However, I am a super super fan of his and can't wait to see and resee this show.
LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
Broadway Star
I was not particularly excited to see him in "Menagerie" in Boston (my big draws were Cherry and Celia, plus the play itself), but I was proved VERY wrong by his heartfelt and even comical performance. I think once the play opens, he may prove a bit more of a draw; I imagine he'll get wonderful reviews, something along the line of "Quinto's performance is more than just logical" or some cheese.
jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
I like him, but the big draw for me is Cherry Jones. But I'm not the majority.
Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
Camp Jones here, but very enthused to see Quinto and the entire production.
Caring Soul Profile Photo
Caring Soul
Understudy
Shouldn't the emphasis be on his performance instead of his "box office draw"? At an rate, he doesn't care because he's got a franchise role.
ajh Profile Photo
ajh
Featured Actor
Thanks everyone for your inputs! I went back in to Telecharge for this particular performance and now there ARE non-Premium seats available. So....all a bit confusing. I will definitely wait until nearer the time to book, having paid full whack (but not Premium -it's against my principles LOL) for Kinky and Pippin.
I really find Telecharge a trial to use, whether I'm selecting my own seats or not. Grrrrrrr!

Updated On: 6/18/13 at 11:40 AM
aliceg
Swing
Hi everyone. Quick question - can anyone see the 3d seating chart for the week of Sept. 17? I only see the black screen for that week. And it took forever for me to look for available seats through another option ("they pick the best seats") that I'm nearly giving up on this telecharge site...
quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
My draw is Brian J. Smith in the hope that he will be shirtless at any given point in this production.
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
You aren't familiar with this play, are you?

He will not be shirtless, but he is truly wonderful. In fact, for as much as I loved the entire production, he was actually my favorite performance.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
While I am not familiar with the play, I made that comment in jest.

I am actually looking forward to seeing this if I can.
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
(I realized that.)

It should be on your to read list. Read as many of Williams' work as you can.

It is to be savored.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
smidge
Swing
Slightly off topic, I'm thinking of seeing this on the day of the Flea Market. This is the same day as the Emmy Awards and Mr. Quinto is nominated. Does anyone feel he will be out that day to attend the ceremony?
cardamon Profile Photo
cardamon
Understudy
Just noticed that there are now discounts available in the Playbill and Theatermania discount clubs.
Glass Menagerie Discount
jeffmiele Profile Photo
jeffmiele
Broadway Star
Smidge, in reference to your question I would imagine Quinto would be in. I would have to think that would be one of the press performances.
D2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
"After all, the Jessica Lange-Christian Slater revival was only back in 2005."

To say nothing of the exquisite 2010 revival with Judith Ivey, off Broadway.
Gritty Polish for a Tennessee Williams Jewel
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
smidge
Swing
Thanks Jeff, I didn't think of that.