Comscore

Marc Shaiman, Martin Short and Nathan Lane sing

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
This video comes up and disappears and comes up again, but this is the first I have seen of it in a few years. Broadway stars Martin Short and Nathan Lane sing their version of the Jerry Herman classic, poking fun at each other in the pater sections rewritten by Marc Shaiman.
We'll always be harmonizing!
all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the link!!! To me Nathan Lane is perfection.
darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Two things I like most about this clip:

1. The tempo is much bouncier than the slow pace of the Broadway "Bosom Buddies," which kind of limps along.

2. Nathan Lane is famous for playing Max Bialystock, and Martin Short was extremely well-recieved as Leo Bloom in Los Angeles. Allegedly, Mel Brooks wanted to open Producers with Short and Lane, but was persuaded to do otherwise for Broderick's bankability and Short's desire to stay in LA with his family. This is the closet we'll ever come to seeing what the two of them really would have been like as a comic duo in "The Producers."
mamaleh
Broadway Star
Great clip. On what TV show/when did they perform that?
Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
That made my day! THANKS!
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
I believe this was a clip from The Martin Short Show (the talk show, not the failed sitcom that Nathan makes fun of in the song).

Marty has always been a talk-show fixture, and has done guest hosting on many of the daytime shows. Every so often his name comes up as a possible replacement for a major host, but it never happens, either because he is too polarizing of a figure for a full-time audience, or because he prefers to stay in LA except for brief New York stays.
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
I think darquegk is probably right, even though Nathan Lane isn't listed as a guest on the show anywhere I've looked (it only ran something like 70 shows itself). The nasty crack about "Robert Downey and prison" puts it around the time of the show (1999), and also Short sings "If I say that we only booked you because we lost Dr Ruth..."
darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Yeah, the Robert Downey joke is DATED now...
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
It sours the performance for me. It was a low blow when Downey was at his lowest - but who's laughing now?
GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
Featured Actor
The 2 of them are just adorable. Wish they had done 'The Producers' together.

Advertisement