Motown seating question....anyone?

April Saul
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/3/13 at 10:38am
Given that this is a huge theater, am I better off first row mid-mezz, or in a somewhat side orchestra seat like E10 or D9? I realize this one is not going to be critically acclaimed, but I love the music enough that I think it'll be worthwhile
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:19am
For Motown I have Row Z on the side, the last of the cheap seats - can't wait! :- I did sit first row side mezz, one seat off the center aisle, for Addams Family - not restricted view but I would have preferred a little more central. I saw Ghost last row of mezz and was central - perfectly fine seat. Leg room is terrible for tall people, though - I felt cramped and I'm only 5'7"!
Michelle4
Chorus Member
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:25am
Hi April,

If I remember correctly, set-wise there wasn't anything major that would make it significantly more appealing further away (for a bigger perspective). If I could watch it again, I'd love to be near the foot of the stage to see the actors expressions. There also was some audience interaction in the orchestra. As for choreography, there were around 5-6 ppl at the most at a time so even from row E side orchestra you probably can take it all in. I sat rear orchestra and the acoustics were kind of off. Also, if you sit front mid mezz, that would be around row N of orchestra and it would kind of remove you from the action since it's a big theater. Of the 2 orchestra seats, I would go for E10 for a better perspective.

seating chart
Updated On: 4/3/13 at 11:25 AM
broadway_show_fan
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:40am
Rainbowhigh23, I'm in Z as well. Hope I can see anything at all, ha!

April Saul - I haven't seen MOTOWN yet, but from my experiences at that theater:
• mid-mezz was great for GHOST but that show was all about visuals, spectacle, and the special effects that played perfectly to those seats. It was okay for MERMAID too.
• If you're able to, front of the front mezz is absolutely a wonderful view. I saw there for GHOST and ADDAMS and both offered great opportunities to see facial expressions, details, dance numbers, lighting, etc.
• as for orchestra, the stage is a little high. I wouldn't go any closer than the seats you've mentioned. I sat in F and H for CHRISTMAS STORY about as far off the aisle as you're saying (seats 9-11, 10-12-ish) and they were wonderful. Great vantage points, high enough to see the stage floor, close enough to really see detail. I'd suggest closer to F-H than D-E, but of the two, I'd go for E.
April Saul
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/3/13 at 11:49am
Thanks so much, guys...I was mistaken, the seat I found with the code was F9...but hey, it's the week of my birthday and it sounds like being so close will be a lot more fun so I went for it! It's just that I try very hard to keep theater costs down.

Now please nobody come on this thread and tell me I just wasted my money. I know the book for this is probably lame...but the music sure isn't!

And rainbow, yes, I remember, you were one of the smart ones who used the Audience Reward deal before, sadly for me, it expired. Although I have to say that Row Z doesn't have much appeal, but $30 and a few points sure does as a price point!

For anyone else who wants a Motown ticket, I found an obscure discount code that nobody else seems to have that extends further than the ones on Broadwaybox so PM me if you need it
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:00pm
"And rainbow, yes, I remember, you were one of the smart ones who used the Audience Reward deal before, sadly for me, it expired. Although I have to say that Row Z doesn't have much appeal, but $30 and a few points sure does as a price point!

I'm concerned with the acoustics being off under the mezz but I'm intrigued to be actually sitting in a Row Z
broadway_show_fan
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:05pm
Rainbowhigh23, I'm right there with ya.

I realized several days after I bought the offer that it (now?) says "orchestra/front mezz" and wish I could get the "front mezz" part instead. Even sitting last row front mezz is better than nearly last row of the orchestra. =/
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:07pm
^ Better ask Berry Gordy for better seats because the AR discount is sold out!
broadway_show_fan
Broadway Star
Posted: 4/3/13 at 12:13pm
oh wow. glad i got my $30 ticket, regardless of the fact that it's so far back. at least it was cheap!
mj21723
Swing
Posted: 1/3/14 at 09:26pm
How was Row Z for this show? I am between Row Y (side) or mid-mezzanine.

Thank you!
VotePeron
Featured Actor
Posted: 1/3/14 at 09:38pm
I did SRO for this show (ugh) and the sound/view was fine. Any seat should be good as long as it is not partial view, you may miss some stuff.
Luv2goToShows
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/4/14 at 10:40am
I grabbed that Audience Rewards deal last spring, assigned row Z, the 3rd seat from aisle, the first two seats were empty, so I was able to move over, those seats were chairs so I believe they were intended for Wheelchair patrons. The view was perfectly fine.

The mid to rear mezzanine has horrible leg room, I sat there for The Addams Family and my legs were up against the hard back of the chair in front of me, very uncomfortable and I felt like I was sitting in a straight jacket since I could not move. Luckily I was able to move to an aisle seat. So keep that in mind if you are tall, I recommend to only sit in Row A of that section or an aisle seat.
mj21723
Swing
Posted: 1/4/14 at 01:29pm
Thanks. Went with Row Y (side) in the orchestra.