Comscore

Bible verses in Playbills?

greengirl11 Profile Photo
greengirl11
Chorus Member
Posted: 3/28/13 at 05:57pm
I was wondering if anyone knows of actors/actresses who list bible verses in their Playbill bios, and if so, which specific verses? I've noticed that many do, and I think it's interesting!

Thanks!

qolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:07pm
Yes, let's name and shame them.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:29pm
Norm Lewis: "Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:1
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:30pm
Sutton Foster: "Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses." (1 Samuel 15:3)
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:31pm
Stephanie J. Block: "You shall not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:1
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:32pm
Patti LuPone: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)
PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
Featured Actor
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:55pm
Nicely done, Joe.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 06:59pm
Joe, I love you.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:21pm
Jessica Goldyn and Tony Yazbeck used to. Don't recall specifics.
FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:23pm
"If food you're cooking falls on the floor, you have 5 seconds to pick it up if you still want to serve it". Wait...that's not from the bible, is it?
all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:27pm
Good for them!! Happy Holy Thursday everybody!!
jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:33pm
I, on the other hand, love when I see a Bible verse in Playbill Bios. :) I admire actors who believe in Him and let it be known to the world by sharing a favorite verse that they feel best represents themselves or their experience in their show. Thanks, greengirl11 for asking this question! Ya got me searching Playbill Vault for more! :)
MCfan2
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:40pm
I like them, but I can't remember any of the specific ones off the top of my head. Probably some of the Psalms about singing and dancing show up a lot!
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:47pm
Laura Michelle Kelly-Phil 4:13
Celisse Henderson-Jeremiah 29:11
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 07:58pm
Michael Cerveris

"Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.' 2 Kings 2:23-24
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 08:02pm
If I recall correctly, Tony Yazbeck's was "Man shall not lie with man as with a woman unless it's me and findingnamo." J/K! Not Really.

Very sweet.
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/28/13 at 08:08pm
HAHA Joe! You just made me laugh out loud especially at the Sutton Foster one!
jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:12pm
Surprised you didn't go with Jeremy Piven's bible verse, Joe.

Leviticus 11:12 - "Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you."
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:58pm
henrik wins the thread.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy
loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:25pm
I admire the performers who put verse references in their bios, even when faith is not a a popular thing in theatre. Two comon verse seem to be Phil 4:13 and Jer. 29:11. One looked up after seeing it in my Playbill was Isaiah 26:3 ("You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.")
PatrickDennis92
Understudy
Posted: 3/29/13 at 02:01pm
Betty Buckley, Genesis 31:35-- "Don't be angry, my lord, that I cannot stand up in your presence; I'm having my period."
newintown Profile Photo
newintown
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/13 at 02:11pm
Shia LaBeouf: Genesis 4:8 - "Now Shia said to his co-star Alex, “Let’s run that scene again.” While they were in the scene, Shia attacked his co-star Alex and killed him. "
all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/13 at 02:17pm

Updated On: 3/29/13 at 02:17 PM
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/13 at 02:20pm
Isn't there something about not making a show of your faith??
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Phyllis Rogers Stone Profile Photo
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/13 at 02:30pm
"When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get." -Matthew 6:5

I think that's Tim Tebow's favorite!
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/13 at 02:33pm
Harvey Fierstein: 1 Corinthians 7:1-40 - Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

Page:

INTO THE WOODS

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement