Andrew Samonsky to Replace Andy Karl in DROOD 2/12

Kelly2
Broadway Legend
Sad to see this turned out to be true. He'll be missed. Wonder why Karl is leaving early.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Andrew-Samonsky-to-Replace-Andy-Karl-as-Neville-Landless-in-THE-MYSTERY-OF-EDWIN-DROOD-212-20130124

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Updated On: 1/24/13 at 10:35 AM
little_sally
Broadway Legend
I'm not thrilled with this casting at all. Samonsky is so dull and wooden in everything he does.
A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
little_sally
Broadway Legend
double post
A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Updated On: 1/24/13 at 10:42 AM
Phillytheatreguy10
Leading Actor
Hmm, wonder what Andy's got up his sleeve? Not familar with Samonsky at all, regardless I shall see both new cast memebers when I return in March.
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
I imagine Andy Karl must have a great new project coming up, why else would he leave a show he's been so well-reviewed in a month early? Can't wait to hear about it.
Updated On: 1/24/13 at 10:45 AM
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
Ugh. Can Samonsky do comedy? He's so boring.
elphaba.scares.me
Leading Actor
I didn't see him in South Pacific or Scandalous, but Samonsky was stone-cold brilliant in Queen of the Mist. Didn't love the show...but his performance was worth the ticket price.
BeadleDeedle
Understudy
^
Word. He was excellent in Queen of the Mist.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Samonsky is so dull and wooden in everything he does.

Exactly how many things have you seen him in?

yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Updated On: 1/24/13 at 11:28 AM
bdn223
Broadway Star
Maybe Rocky is coming a lot earlier than we all expected?!? There are a few open mid to large scale theaters open in the spring with the St. James, Richard Rogers, Longacre, Barrymore, and Belasco all being empty.
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
I'd be very excited if this was for Rocky, I heard he was wonderful in the lab production. I'm not familiar with Samonsky as an actor at all, it's hard for me to imagine someone besides Andy in the role just because of how much he's put into the show. I mean, they rewrote his line before the murderer voting purely because of what he brought to the character. It used to be something about Edwin being an odious little twit, and now it's a pretty great joke about his extensive use of his eyebrows.

It'll definitely be odd to see two leads in the show replaced so close to closing.

Updated On: 1/24/13 at 11:59 AM
Owen22
Broadway Star
He was the WEIRDEST Lt Cable EVER in that TV broadcast of South Pacific. But he was okay playing the bisexual evil dude (whose character name eludes me) in "Tales of the City" in SF.
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Caught him in South Pacific and in Little Miss Sunshine. He was dull and lifeless in both.
Emmaloucbway
Broadway Star
I'm not sure how I feel about this casting choice, but do you all think that this might be a sign of a further extension?
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
I've seen him in all his major NYC shows, and I thought it was pretty dull in most. He was good in Queen of the Mist, but that was also a much smaller venue, and a more intimate show. This is broad comedy. So.... I don't know.
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Karl to Samonsky? DOWNGRADE.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
I'll be interested to see his take. He definitely has a sense of humor. From South Pacific's backstage web series "Five Minutes Til Curtain":

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING LINK HAS AUDIO, IS ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK AND INAPPROPRIATE FOR UNDER 18 OR THE EASILY OFFENDED - AND FUNNY AS HELL.
NSFW
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
I saw Samonsky's appalling performance as Lt. Cable in SOUTH PACIFIC when it was shown on Great Performances. Damn. I had been planning on seeing DROOD, but now I don't know.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Tough crowd.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Matteo
Stand-by
Well, Broadway.com just announced he is returning to Jersey Boys... hmm.
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
Well, I understand why he would considering he'll have a job for much longer and the pay is probably way better, but I do wish he were leaving for something a bit more exciting.
shrekster224
Broadway Legend
Serious downgrade, and I can't even see him in the role. Wish Andy would just stay until it closes and then go back to Jersey Boys, but they should have just given it to Sciotto. Who else from outside of the show would have been good? Trying to think....
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
I wish they would've gone with Eric Sciotto too, but I imagine it'd be tougher to find a replacement for an ensemble track that understudies two major parts than just replacing Karl.
Chicago Star
Leading Actor
Keep in mind that Andy's original contract was only until Feb 10th. So I'm sure he booked Jersey Boys thinking Drood wouldn't extend
Updated On: 1/24/13 at 02:37 PM
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
Hey, no fair, Chicago Star! You updated and my (now deleted) response to you made no sense. Yes, I agree that the scenario you posit now is the most likely one - but I do wonder why we didn't hear of it earlier, as we did Betsy's.

Updated On: 1/24/13 at 02:41 PM
AC126748
Broadway Legend
And JB is a steady paycheck where he'll almost certainly be making more than he was, and guaranteed employment for a while. Artists need to make money, people seem to forget that sometimes.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Page: