Film Rights Purchased For JEKYLL & HYDE Musical

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Legend
I wonder if they had to deal with The Hatchery.

After all, they were there first.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik
DEClarke
Broadway Legend
My first thought is again!?!?!?!? This movie has been in the works for far too long...

I liked the Constantine version, but I hope the film libretto follows the production at Theater Under the Stars in 1995.

Updated On: 1/22/13 at 04:57 PM
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
At last -- a project ideally suited to Rob Marshall's abilities!
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
^ LOVE
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
Leading Actor
Here are my personal picks for the cast and some of the creative team

Director-Darren Aronofsky

Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde-Josh Dallas (I beleive he can sing)
Lucy Harris-Katherine McPhee
Emma Carew-Emmy Rossum
John Utterson-Eddie Redmayne
Sir Danvers Carew-Tom Hewitt

Costume Designer-Collen Atwood
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
Leading Actor

Emma Carew-Emmy Rossum

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
Leading Actor

Emma Carew-Emmy Rossum

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
There's way too many huge box office names in that list.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
I hope they actually purchased the rights just to make sure it can never happen.
"Don't patronize me, alright?" - BroadwayStar4
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Could Wolverine pull it off?
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
bobs3
Broadway Legend

Emma Carew-Emmy Rossum

WOW! That all-star cast will have the audiences flocking to their local cineplex.
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
Leading Actor
Well Jordan Catalano, in terms of my dream cast I wouldn't call them HUGE box office names, expect maybe Katherine McPhee.

And in terms of my director choice I think Darren Aronofsky can give the film the dark, gothic feel that it needs. If you look at "Black Swan" it had a very dark feel to it.

bobs3 are you being sarcastic or do you really believe that?

Updated On: 1/21/13 at 08:17 PM
bobs3
Broadway Legend
Sarcasm, Sheldon. Sarcasm.
Dave19
Broadway Star
"Could Wolverine pull it off?"

I don't think people will want to see another 3 hours of his bleating and strained way of vibrating after seeing Les Mis.
DEClarke
Broadway Legend
I heard David Hasselhoff can do it!
finebydesign
Broadway Legend
Right like this is gonna happen...
sr4mjc
Stand-by
Megan Hilty as Lucy, she has a far stronger voice than Kat. And damn sexy too.
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Honestly, if Deborah Cox can play Lucy, why not give it to Jennifer Hudson? She would sing the sh!t out of it and it would give her a chance at a more "sexy" role. I think, if they went younger, Katherine McPhee or Naya Ricera would be great as Lucy. Also, I wish this was done 10-15 years ago so Nicole Kidman could play Emma. Now, I think Amy Adams would be a nice choice or even Emmy Rossum - she's gained notoriety with "Shameless."

Jekyll/Hyde will be hard to cast. If they went younger, I wouldn't mind Eddie Redmayne. What about Jeremy Renner?
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
Leading Actor
I never would have thought of Jennifer Hudson as Lucy!!! She would be FANTASTIC!!!!! It's about time she tackled a more meatier role. I stand by casting Emmy Rossum as Emma, but for Jekyll/Hyde, Matt Bomer OR Steve Kazee could be good. I think it could be a great challange particuarlly for either one. But Jeremy Renner would be the better choice.
Kad
Broadway Legend
If this happens, no one will care.
philly03
Broadway Legend
They weren't willing to continue the musical on Broadway, and only allowed this tour to happen with a star in the title roles, so I can't imagine any unknown starring in the title roles on film (especially given that there are only three leading roles). I imagine this is very hard to cast, but considering the role of Lucy is kind of fun and flashy, I would imagine several pop stars would be interested in trying to get it though who knows what the acting would be like.

all that jazz
Broadway Legend
I would love it if they cast an actual STAR in the title role, but unfortunately there are very few male music stars right now in my opinion, and most of them are rappers. I honestly can't picture any of today's "stars" in that role. I think Eddie would be great. I would loooove to see Ramin do it, he would be spectacular but sadly he is not considered a star here in America.
Dave19
Broadway Star
"the creators are looking for "first-rate actors who are also first-rate singers."

That is quite refreshing actually.

If they really do this the film can turn out to be a gem.

Maybe not the biggest box office hit in the first week, but a growing and growing audience because of the quality and in a 100 years being considered as a better quality film than Les Miserables.

Now, for the casting. I really like the idea of Katherine McPhee as Lucy.

What about Sierra Boggess as Emma?

Steven Pasquale would be a perfect Jekyll & Hyde:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsjhck8omzo

Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
I feel like on SMASH her voice is so thin, but Katharine McPhee would be a good name for Lucy. She could even play Emma.

I know she may not be a brilliant actress, but what about Lady Gaga as Lucy? I just saw her live on Sunday and she would sing that score SO well! I wish Christina Aguilera was five years younger...
philly03
Broadway Legend
^^ I'm with you.

I imagine they would give "Emma" to either a Broadway/lesser name actress and downplay the role like they have for the tour.

I don't think casting Lucy will be the problem - I had thought they would try to attract someone like Lady Gaga or another big pop star as the role has the best songs in the score (ie Bring on the Men) and is "fun"/"flashy" to an extent.

Casting a good Jekyll/Hyde will make or break it, however. You need to not only get a great vocalist and actor, but someone who can have two dual personalities effectively.

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV