Side Show revival at La Jolla

AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/13 at 06:55pm
So I just saw the casting notices for next season at La Jolla and it appears Side Show is getting a revised production there. The Boss is not listed amongst the characters, but Sir and Auntie are both there. So it seems they are going with a new approach for at least the first portion of the show and digging closer to the real life situation of Daisy and Violet. There are a couple of other new characters as well in the breakdown.

I'm curious to see and hear what this new revised script is like.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
NewYorkPulse24
Chorus Member
Posted: 1/8/13 at 07:12pm
I knew they were doing a revival i didnt know they were doing a revision!
Heres hoping for the best for something I was really excited for!
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/13 at 07:15pm
"you know what I quit this board, you all can go **** yourselves." - thismyshow
SondheimFan5
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/8/13 at 09:12pm
Did the Kennedy Center production fall through? Bill Condon was going to direct a revised version at the Kennedy Ctr in 2013...interesting...
emilyfaye48
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/8/13 at 11:54pm
To my understanding the Kennedy Center production will be in Spring 2014
Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
Younger Brother
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/9/13 at 03:37pm
Sounds very interesting! Any casting ideas?
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/9/13 at 03:47pm
Jessie and Abby Mueller? Real sisters!!

Seriously though (though they'd be brilliant), wasn't there a reading with Betsy Wolfe involved sometime recently?
"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Younger Brother
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/13 at 01:52pm
Didn't want to have to start a new thread but does anyone have a link to somewhere I can find some photos from the original Broadway production? Google doesn't show very many
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/13 at 02:00pm
Seriously though (though they'd be brilliant), wasn't there a reading with Betsy Wolfe involved sometime recently?

Betsy Wolfe and Erin Davie have been involved in several readings of the revised SIDE SHOW.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
emilyfaye48
Broadway Star
Posted: 1/10/13 at 02:17pm
Besides what you can easily find on google I have not been able to find any more photos from the original production. Trust. I have looked.
Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead
Hank
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/10/13 at 06:50pm
and the San Diego Zoo just debuted the baby panda. It's diner time right about now and you can watch him munching away on the panda cam on sandiegozoo.org.
The Side Show revival is just another reason for me to revisit one of my favorite towns, and I have a craving for fish tacos.
JRybka1611
Understudy
Posted: 1/11/13 at 04:45pm
I thought the Kennedy Center version is a collaboration with La Jolla.
KChenowethfan
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/11/13 at 06:08pm
Yes the Kennedy Center production was announced to be in collaboration with La Jolla.
"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:10pm

The new artwork for the production taken from the Kennedy Center website. I like it!

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:11pm
How about the casting? Any announcements yet?
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:14pm
La Jolla Playhouse is using different artwork.

That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:20pm
Betsy Wolfe was offered this production and (regretfully) passed due to conflicts with another project.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:22pm
Nuts! I was hoping she'd be back.

Now I wonder who? (Leigh Ann Larkin still comes to mind.)
Younger Brother
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:41pm
I would assume with Betsy being offered the role, Erin Davie may play Violet
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 04:49pm
With Betsy not playing the role, I'd think that puts Erin Davie's chances of being involved in jeopardy.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Phillytheatreguy10
Leading Actor
Posted: 5/15/13 at 05:01pm
When I saw Last 5 Years with a friend, said her next project was a new Broadway musical, but she couldn't speak of what they may be because it hasn't been officially announced. Glad she is working, I really think she has big things a head of her! I realize she's been on the scene for years, but nice to see her recognized. I agree with the poster that commented that if Betsy was out, Davie probably is in jeopardy- shame I would've liked to see that!
gstrus2
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/15/13 at 05:04pm
Anyone have any guesses on what it could be? Maybe Honeymoon in Vegas?
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 09:05pm
Good Lord. The La Jolla artwork is awful. The twins did not have red hair and were not dominatrixes. You can't really see that they're connected, though I suppose you could say the same of the Kennedy Center one.

I leave the room smiling.
Updated On: 5/15/13 at 09:05 PM
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/15/13 at 09:23pm
"The twins did not have red hair and were not dominatrixes."

Can't say that I got dominatrix from that, just circus performers. It's not like they are in black leather and fishnets.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
IronMan
Understudy
Posted: 5/15/13 at 11:11pm
Is it wrong that I hope for a revision where the twins are played by Matt Cavenaugh and Matt Bogart?
"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

Page:

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...