Broadway's largest set desgin

Gmerchant123
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/12/12 at 09:59pm
I've heard that my fair lady's set was so big! Same with the latest revival of the King and I
morosco
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/12 at 10:15pm
I would think Broadway's largest set design would be a tie between CATS and STARLIGHT EXPRESS.
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/12 at 10:18pm
Only because of ALW's huge and impressive...

... ego.
"Bill Clinton is the ultimate whore! He stole Madonna's crown." -Jim Colyer, on 10/29/2012
MattDe
Understudy
Posted: 11/12/12 at 11:09pm
ALW does have a huge ego but he did get a TONY which was possibly due to well nothing else playing.

Updated On: 11/12/12 at 11:09 PM
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/12 at 11:12pm
I've heard that my fair lady's set was so big!

Can't decide if that's a "That's what she said!" or a classic "How big was it????"
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/12 at 11:26pm
Wyn: Reminds me of Match game! Dumb Dora was so dumb. "How dumb was she?"
"Bill Clinton is the ultimate whore! He stole Madonna's crown." -Jim Colyer, on 10/29/2012
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/12 at 11:32pm
The set was so big, it made blank look tiny

Updated On: 11/12/12 at 11:32 PM
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/12 at 11:37pm
You changed it!
Updated On: 11/12/12 at 11:37 PM
SondheimFan5
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 12:46am
Off Broadway [Title of Show] and the Barrow Street "Our Town" had the biggest sets that I have seen.
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 12:55am
"Our Town" doesn't have a set. I googled it but didn't find anything except posters and pictures of the cast. What did they do differently?
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 01:00am
I think those were suggested in jest, Jungle
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 01:01am
""Our Town" doesn't have a set. I googled it but didn't find anything except posters and pictures of the cast. What did they do differently?"

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
SondheimFan5
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 01:04am
Jungle Red - the Barrow Street had a fabulous design by the folks who design Cirque de Soleil. Instead of 2 step-ladders, Emily and George were each on their own trapeze. It was one for the ages, really. Flying by Foy took Emily back to Heaven at the end of the play. It was like Spider Man meets Mary Poppins.
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 01:07am
I don't often post on serious Broadway threads, so I don't know who the joksters are and who aren't. It looks like it wasn't made in jest, as SondheimFan5 last post describes a pretty big set.

I adore Our Town.
chewy5000
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 02:29am
Ha!
IMHO I see Queenie as being more of a brunette...
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 06:03am
Thud.

(It was a joke, as was his next response. Although I'd go and see that Our Town, too.)
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 07:50am
I've been trying to find the thread it was mentioned in, but a few years ago another poster mentioned a Broadway show where the director was in the audience when the set was first revealed to him. He was impatient because the actors weren't on stage yet. He asked something along the lines of "Where are the actors?" to which they responded from stage "We are here!" From what I remember they decided then and there that the set was overkill.

Can anyone help me out? I can't remember the name of the show.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
castlestreet
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/12 at 08:03am
Wouldn't you have to include Sunset Blvd in the conversation? I know just the house itself had to be controlled by a hydraulic lift.
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 08:11am
I'd say Phantom and even Legally Blonde were a pretty big set. Hints the reason Blonde could only fit in the Palace and limited their option of a transfer.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 09:14am
Arguable Aida, the one tht didn't make it to Broadway.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Yero my Hero
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 09:23am
SPIDER-MAN pretty much has to be in this conversation. I'd also put YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN as one of the largest sets I have ever seen.

BILLY ELLIOT closed down the Imperial Theatre for something like six months gutting it so they could install the stairs that revolve up from under the stage.
Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
ajh
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/13/12 at 09:26am
what about the original Ragtime? or the original Sweeney? weren't they both Eugene Lee. "he doesn't know less is more" as Tommy Tune said about Ken Russell . Ok am rambling now......
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/13/12 at 05:39pm
British shows: Starlight, Cats, Phantom, Mary Poppins, Sunset Boulevard.

US Productions: Ragtime, BIg, Beauty and the Beast all spring to mind.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
supersam1026
Leading Actor
Posted: 11/13/12 at 06:33pm
The house in Mary Poppins is also really big!
Hank
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/13/12 at 06:45pm
Haha! those comments abour Barrow St "Our House" bring to my mind my classroom read through in high school, and the sets were similar, but in my mind, each time, I pictured myself in a small NH town, just over the Massachusets line.
It worked.
finebydesign
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/14/12 at 11:18am

Most of the Disney shows have/had massive sets. Even the rigging for Tarzan was insane. Both Lion King and Tarzan had inflatable pieces because there was not enough space.

Legally Blonde didn't seem that huge to me, it seemed like mostly flats from the flies.

I've never seen Sunset but I've heard that was pretty incredible. The recent Into the Woods (though not on Broadway) had a massive set. And you can just forget about opera, those things are huge. I remember Taymor's Grendel opera being MASSIVE. George Typsin (Spiderman, Little Mermaid)designed that monster.

There are some renderings of the Elaborate Lives version of Aid here

Updated On: 11/14/12 at 11:18 AM

Page: