Tell me about CINDERELLA

Pammylicious
Broadway Star
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 05:07pm
Is this going to be based on the original remake television production with Leslie Ann Warren or is there a new book? Wasn't it a Disney production in 1965? I love the music and can't wait to see this.

Laura Osnes is one of my favorites right now. Perfect Cindy.
Updated On: 11/7/12 at 05:07 PM
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 05:16pm
Completely re-imagined by Douglas Carter Beane but using the R&H songs.
Pammylicious
Broadway Star
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 05:19pm
Is this the first time this is going to be on Broadway? If so, it's going to be a pretty difficult ticket to get.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 05:22pm
Yes, but that isn't a guarantee of anything. Personally, I have no desire to see it.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
FANtomFollies
Featured Actor
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 05:23pm
Praying the new book is better than Lyssie Jones.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 05:40pm
Nothing was wrong with the old book. I'm not really interested in seeing this one.
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
Pammylicious
Broadway Star
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 06:05pm
well how much can you change the story of Cinderella and her wicked stepmother and sisters....
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 06:15pm
I just can't wait to see Anna Louiznos's set design.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
goldenboy
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 06:39pm
The slipper fits and she gets the prince in the end.
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 06:49pm
SPOILER ALERT!

Pleaseeee....
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 06:59pm
I'm told it's going to be a very "updated" book. And that scares me.
"I think Glee is way too sharp, smart, witty, clever and emotionally confronting for the masses." - Dave19 - "What's next? Snow Black and the 7 Swaggers? Shasquirta and the Beast? 101 Weavematians? Willis in Ghettoland?" - Dave19, in reference to the new ANNIE remake.
Pammylicious
Broadway Star
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 07:04pm
So no gorgeous ballroom gowns or golden carriages. This I would not like one bit!
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 07:29pm
I did the "original book" production a few years ago, before they licensed the "Music In You" tour edition.

It ran VERY short, barely over an hour, and the book was extremely lean and extremely earnest. Almost no jokes, if I remember. Very straightforward vanilla Cinderella. Whether or not the new book will be any good remains to be seen, but I'm certain tehre will at least be more of it.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 07:46pm
^By "old book" I was actually referring to the tour version by Tom Briggs. I really liked that one.
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 08:09pm
I have heard that the tour book is vastly superior to the original version.
Phantom4ever
Featured Actor
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 08:18pm
The high school I work at just produced Cinderella last spring and I was surprised at how hard I fell in love with that R&H score. Just beautiful.

With that said, the book was nothing special. I noticed one of the other posters characterized it as "vanilla". I would agree, except for one line by the Stepmother. When she is leaving the kitchen scene toward the beginning, she says she is on her way to get a massage. She says "sometimes all I need is a good pounding. Or at least that's what your father used to always say. "

We performed 3 nights, and only one night did it get a "ohhhhhhhh" from the audience.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 09:52pm
There really isn't much to the story of CINDERELLA. Disney padded it with birds and animals coming to Cindy's rescue, but even the animated film isn't more than 90 minutes.

About 25 years ago I directed the version that the R&H Library was leasing. Its book was rather lean, too. With the Library's permission, I added a few scenes and brought the stepmother on stage.

It was a successful production but the libretto wasn't its stron point.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
degrassifan
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 09:54pm
I think it's going to be a great production. I wish I was able to see it! I'm more excited about Ever After though, but this should be just as good! Then again, the Cinderella story is my favorite fairy tale and I welcome all incarnations of it, so I may be biased.
degrassifan
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 09:57pm
Dollypop, I think there is so much one can do with the Cinderella story. Just look at various versions like Ever After, The Slipper and the Rose, Ella Enchanted, The Glass Slipper, A Cinderella Story, etc. When I took a Disney class and we got to the Cinderella topic, we analyzed to death both the original by Perrault and the German version by the Grimm, and while it comes off as a simple story, there's just so much detail to explore.
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 10:14pm
The "good pounding" line is the only one I remember in the original script as well... Is it in the tour version as well?

Everyone in the cast wondered if that entendre was intended by R&H or not- it seems not only out of character for their work, but for the earnest joke-free nature of the rest of the script.

Also, in that version, I believe Cinderella has the awkward catch phrase of "Oh, la!"
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 10:32pm
^That pounding line is definitely not in the tour version. Sounds too misogynistic.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/7/12 at 11:21pm
If there are dumb ass Twitter jokes in this, I will be so pissed.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Wilmingtom
Broadway Star
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/8/12 at 02:50pm
I understand there are going to be a lot of surprises. He's keeping it period but there are several clever plot twists.

I really like the Briggs adaptation as well. I loved the idea that the Fairy Godmother is an incarnation of Cinderella's mother, and doesn't step in to help until Cinderella takes responsibility for herself. Setting the transformation scene in a pumpkin patch was also a nice idea.
finebydesign
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/8/12 at 03:54pm
"Is this the first time this is going to be on Broadway? If so, it's going to be a pretty difficult ticket to get."

This show will be lucky to weather the winter.
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/8/12 at 04:03pm
God, you are a nasty piece of work.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
finebydesign
Broadway Legend
Tell me about CINDERELLA
Posted: 11/8/12 at 04:17pm
I'm just being rational. I don't understand where all these "family" audiences are going to come from. Look at all the new family shows coming this season. It's gonna be bumpy.

The music sure is lovely, but there is no star and it's competing with Annie, and FINALLY something new... Matilda. Not to mention the holiday shows and the Disney (Lion King, Mary Poppins, NEWSIES!!) shows currently on Broadway.

Page:

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...