GOP Rep. Todd Akin: 'Legitimately Raped' Women Don't Get Pregant

romantico
Broadway Legend
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-legitimate-rape.php

The blogosphere imploded today when Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) appeared on a talk show to declare that women who are 'legitimately raped' do not get pregnant. And therefore abortion should be illegal in all cases. Akin's name and 'legitimate rape' are now top trending topics on Twitter. Even the vicious teabaggers at Twitchy are appalled. Akin is running to unseat Sen. Clair McCaskill.

However, Dana Loesch of the trashy tabloid Brietbart.com defends this scumbag (anyone surprised?)

http://twitchy.com/2012/08/19/dana-loesch-stop-overreacting-to-todd-akins-comments/

https://twitter.com/#!/search/?q=legitimate+rape&src=typd

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Francine Rivers, a Christian fiction author, even wrote a story about a girl who got pregnant from being raped

Maybe he thinks rape means only from behind?
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Go to some of the conservative sites and look at the comments on this story.

NO ONE is defending him. Even tea-party types are saying he just lost the election.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
romantico
Broadway Legend
Well, Dana Loesch is defending him. (not that she counts)

I'm glad to hear even Conservatives are not supporting him for this. Question is, will this all be forgotten on Election Day?
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
strummergirl
Broadway Legend
He had a pretty healthy lead against incumbent McCaskill at last check. I hope this sticks, I really should not hope about this but it is Missouri, a la George Allen in 2006. I figure just about all of women's groups and reproductive right PACs pour money to her campaign after hearing this. The man deserves to be shamed and voters need to be reminded constantly about what he said.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Honestly though, how different is this from all the blaming of the victim that goes on? This guy just happened to be particularly absurd and offensive this time.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Dana Loesch is a despicable human being.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Here's the St. Louis Post-Dispatch article:
Akin's rape comment threatens to alter U.S. Sen. race
yr pal,
joey

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
And this on Politico. It seems like there is actually a possibility that he may step down a week after he won the primary!

If he doesn't, he may lose, and if he loses Missori, the GOP could lose any hope of taking the Senate.

POLITICO: Todd Akinís rape remark has GOP fretting
yr pal,
joey

SNAFU
Broadway Legend
He should step down! I am tired of having the ignorant and just plain stupid running this country!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
He said that he had heard from certain doctors that women who'd been legitimately raped had a lower chance of getting pregnant.

He should be made to supply the names of those doctors who gave him such grotesque misinformation.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
madbrian
Broadway Legend
He should step down, but what's scary is that if he doesn't, he'll still get somewhere between 48%-52% of the vote.

And any likely scenario of the GOP taking the Senate includes them winning Missouri.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
"Honestly though, how different is this from all the blaming of the victim that goes on?"

This is a little different because Akin has actually introduced legislation that would change the definition of rape to ban abortions. Legislation that was co-sponsored by Mr. Paul Ryan.
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
His comb-over is also offensive!
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Paul Ryan will have some very interesting questions to answer to try to distance himself from his co-sponsor.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
taboo123
Broadway Legend
Jordan
i would like to legitimately rape your avatar, but not get it pregnant.

Updated On: 8/20/12 at 12:20 PM
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
His body has a way of shutting down a pregnancy, so go for it!
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Looks like he's going to have to step down.

POLITICO: Crossroads pulls out of Missouri after Akin comments
yr pal,
joey

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
There's a joke in there about pulling out not leading to an abortion but I'm too tired to make it.
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Akin may withdraw as soon as tomorrow.
BuzzFeed: Republican Source: Akin Moving To Withdraw
yr pal,
joey

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Akin may withdraw as soon as tomorrow.
BuzzFeed: Republican Source: Akin Moving To Withdraw
yr pal,
joey

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
The conservative National Review calls for Akin to step down.

National Review: Step Aside, Todd Akin
yr pal,
joey

Updated On: 8/20/12 at 03:29 PM
StockardFan
Broadway Legend
And what is a legitimate rape? This guy is a complete moron.
KFTC!!!!!
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Why should they ask him to step down. He's just saying what has become standard GOP talking point. Has the GOP condemned the legislation he co-sponsored with Ryan yet?

Page: