Second Stage revival of The Last 5 Years

Phillytheatreguy10
Leading Actor
Who would you like to see cast? I have a girl in mind, but can't pinpoint a guy. So my pick for Kathy is Anneliese Van Der Pol! Yep its a trend! Annaleigh Ashford would rock it out too!
suspendabledisbelief
Swing
I though Caissie Levy would make a good Cathy.
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
This couldn't happen since he's signed on for Cinderella, but I think Santino Fontana would be perfection in the role.
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
^ THIS! This this this!

I don't know if he can riff like Norbert, but he's a great singer and has the look.

There was a plea going around tumblr and Twitter for a Laura Osnes/Steve Kazee version.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I can see Will Chase being very good in this.
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Betsy Wolfe and either Steve Kazee or Santino Fontana would be the best possible casting for this production, though all three of them are unavailable.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/13/12 at 01:05 AM
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Him, too!

Wesley Taylor could sing the stuffing out of it!
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Please. It's 2nd. It's not going to be some dream casting.
JohnyBroadway
Broadway Legend
Matt Doyle could probably sing the crap out Jamie too. What about Celia Keenan Bolger?

Updated On: 8/13/12 at 01:30 AM
Jon
Broadway Legend
Will Chase is way too old and doesn't read Jewish at all. Jamie has lines about being in his 20's.

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Ah, you're right.
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Jamie ages from 23 to 28 over the course of the story. Cathy ages from 26 to 31, though her part of the narrative is obviously told in reverse chronological order.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Cathy's a shiksa cougar? Nice!
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Paging Miss Stritch!
JBroadway
Leading Actor
I would pay an infinite amount of money to see Stritchie do Climbing Uphill
jdrye222
Featured Actor
Santino is a nice idea. The trick with LAST FIVE YEARS is that they have to be FANTASTIC actors... not just singers. Norbert and Sherie were magical perfection in every way. It's going to be hard to match that.

I know if I were the casting director, I'd want on my short list:

Robb Sapp (1st choice... he's underworked and very talented)
Santino Fontana

Jon
Broadway Legend
The main trick of casting (and direction) is that Jamie must be lovable, despite being a self-absorbed, insensitive asshole.
After Eight
Broadway Legend
This show is so bad it doesn't matter who they cast.

The more pressing question is why is Second Stage reviving it?
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Oh, you didn't like it?

I'm shocked.
After Eight
Broadway Legend
^

Uhhhhh, it ran a whopping two months off-Broadway.

Who DID like it?

Even Glory Days was more tolerable.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Oh, and that's a fact?
After Eight
Broadway Legend
^

That it ran two months?

Absolutely.

That even Glory Days was more tolerable?

Well..........

Absolutely!
mamaleh
Broadway Star
I agree that Will Chase is probably not the best choice, but only because he's a bit too mature. But I posit that there's no such thing as "reading" this way or that. If Caissie Levy can be suggested as the "shiksa goddess," certainly all bets are off.

Do/did Paul Newman, Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Rudd, Natalie Portman, Selma Blair and Jackie Hoffman all look alike? Hardly. A few years ago I saw Colin Hanlon as Jamie at George St., and he was wonderful in the role. Let's just let actors act.

Updated On: 8/13/12 at 09:06 AM
dtzumbrunnen
Broadway Star
Ummm.... Didn't it open within a few weeks of 9/11? Pretty sure that's a big factor in why there wasn't a longer initial run.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Regardless of your personal feelings about LAST FIVE YEARS as a show, I think a revival makes a lot of sense. Yes, it's probably a cult musical (and we all know how well those go down when revived...) but it's a pretty big cult. JRB and the show are much better known than they were back in the day, and this will presumably be on a smaller scale again than the original production - the theatre has 100 fewer seats, for one (unless this is supposed to play the Helen Hayes in 2013?).

I think it will be as much of a commercial success as is possible for Second Stage to have.

Of course I like the show so I am bound to be biased towards it, but I genuinely think it's a sensible programming decision financially.
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
What about Colin Donnell?

Page: