Comscore

Favorite female song from

Debra Ritter
Understudy
Favorite female song from "Company?"
Posted: 8/2/12 at 02:52pm
Hi Everyone!

My daughter a performing arts high school in L.A. and will be auditioning for Company. Instructions were to sing one of the actual songs from the show.

What are 1 or 2 of your favorite songs from Company for a female, that would be great for an audition. She is a soprano and can handle just about any style of song.

Suggestions would be great as I saw the show years ago and dont remember many of the songs.

Thanks!
Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
Posted: 8/2/12 at 07:08pm
The best bet, for a soprano, is "You Could Drive a Person Crazy".

The problem is that the show only has a few female solos, like "Ladies who Lunch" and "Another Hundred People", both being alto or belter songs. "Barcelona", which features April who can be a soprano, is a duet.

The 3 soprano parts "Bless this day, miracle of life" from Getting Married Today could be used, but steer clear of Amy's part for an audition. Too difficult.

"Little Things You Do Together" could be just done as a solo but it, again, is low.

Debra Ritter
Understudy
Posted: 8/2/12 at 07:20pm
Thanks so much for the detailed info!
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Posted: 8/3/12 at 02:21am
You Could Drive a Person Crazy is for sure my favorite song. Odd that that would be audition criteria, though, I don't think I've ever had to do that without the music actually been GIVEN to me and told to learn it..... Tell her I said Break a Leg!! :)
Debra Ritter
Understudy
Posted: 8/18/12 at 12:44pm
Hello again!

My daughter took your advise and quickly learned You Could Drive A Person Crazy. Little did I know, she learned a non typical version, Bernadette Peters' version from Sondheim Live At Carnegie Hall. My problem now is that her audition is Tuesday and I can't find sheet music or a non vocal (karaoke) version of the song. Do you think it exists or should I try to find a software program to remove the vocals from the mp3? Thanks again for all the help!

Advertisement