Peter and the Starcacher Rights/Licensing

Icey Noah
Swing
Sorry in advance if this is not the right board for this post. I did my best to put this question in the right place!

Does anyone know if the rights are available to produce Peter and the Starcatcher yet? or who handles/is expected to handle the rights? and if they aren't available, when they might be expected? I'm not really familiar with what the normal wait time is for licensing a new play. I love the material and think it has awesome capabilities, and would love to direct it locally when it is available!

Thanks in advance!
defygravity24
Featured Actor
I'd just have to assume the rights aren't available yet since its a new play and still playing on broadway.
TheatreKid3
Broadway Star
I doubt the rights will be available for sometime, but when they do become available, I'd say it will end up on MTI with the rest of Disney's shows (even though it is a play, which MTI doesn't usually carry - but the show does have some music). Disney tends to use MTI for their titles and, since they are a lead producer, I'd say it will end up there.
MrJNLong
Stand-by
It has already been announced as part of Utah Shakespeare Festival's 2013 season...so some sort of licensing is going on....probably just special arrangements with certain regional theatres for now...
Thparkaly
Understudy
Inside of the published annotated script, it says to refer to MTI for performance rights, so I'm guessing in the next year or two, we should get an announcement from them.
Currently: Assistant Stage Manager for Into The Woods Recently: Spring Awakening Music Director/u/s Otto
wicked4l
Leading Actor
The show is not ending in NYC. Rights won't be out for sometime.
TheatreKid3
Broadway Star
^ It's closing January 20th.
wicked4l
Leading Actor
Yep. It's closing on Broadway...not in NYC.
TheatreKid3
Broadway Star
Are you trying to hint like you know something? Because there has been know mention of it moving off-Broadway. And I doubt any regional production in NYC will prevent rights from being released.
TheatreKid3
Broadway Star
Also, will this be the first play to be licensed by MTI?

Updated On: 12/14/12 at 01:54 AM
wicked4l
Leading Actor
Yes I am "hinting" that it will not close in New York.
Mrs. Bumbrake
Swing
I would love to get more details on this! A couple weeks ago we saw Starcatcher again, and were chatting with a cast member, lamenting the close of the show on January 20. He said "Well, you never know" with a smile and couldn't say anything more. Another cast member said pretty much the same thing. So this, coupled with this post, is giving me hope that it will be moved off Broadway. I sure hope so, I've seen this show 5 times now and love it more each time I see it.
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
The Utah Shakespeare Festival is presenting the Regional Premiere this summer and according to their press release and materials, MTI is the holder of the performance rights.
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
The rights were given to Utah Shakes under a special agreement, I believe and they are still not available yet.
"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
MTI will be the dramatic licensing rights holder for this title, but I don't believe it will be available for secondary market anytime real soon.
"I'm fine, and my hips are fine. My false knee is fine. My false hips are fine. Everything's cooking." -Liza
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
Rights for shows generally do not become available until at least 1 year after the show closes on Broadway, and may be even longer in this case since it is still playing Off-Broadway.
Some people can get a thrill, knitting sweaters and sitting still. That's okay for some people, who don't know they're alive!
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
The tour is starting in a couple of months, so I figure it will be a good year or two before rights are out.
"What's wrong with bottoms? If it wasn't for them, I would have nothing to do!" - TheatreDiva90016
""Well, who needs cake when Jordan's here having orgasms? - CATSNYrevival
bdn223
Broadway Star
Also considering that the production begins an equity tour next month, I don't think ameratur rights will be made available at least until this tour raps. Also considering that Disney holds the underlying rights to the play it's roll out regionally will be similar to Mary Poppins, and Beauty and the Beast's rollout where Disney will give select an well known companies the rights at first to work out how to do the show without a Disney budget and effects.
Also unlike almost every other play in existance, where the playwright owns the rights, which is why their name has to be at least 30% of the title's font and no other person's name may be larger than the playwright's in all advertisments, Disney owns the right's to Starcatcher, so its name may have to be in all future production's advertisments.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
BDN....what has that got to do with the rights being released? There are always stipulations, having to use Disney's name is no different then the authors or other requirements. (Or am I missing something in your point?)
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
bdn223
Broadway Star
Idk what I meant I just thougt it would be a weird stipulation for regional productions.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
you definitely don't know what you are talking about. much of what you said was simply wrong and that's about as far as I can go. feel free to PM me
"I'm fine, and my hips are fine. My false knee is fine. My false hips are fine. Everything's cooking." -Liza
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Not weird at all. Oy.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
douglas.schultz
Swing
I know this topic was awhile ago, but I had been interested in the rights for PATSC and since it's now closed in NY, I e-mailed Disney Licensing to ask when they might be available. The person who responded said the rights would not be available in my area (suburbs of Philadelphia) until after 2016
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Yes. That sounds about right.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
I saw the tour a couple weeks ago. It was my first time seeing the show. I am in the vast minority here in that I pretty much hated it. Not my type of humor. Curious to see what local theatres do with this though.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama