Comscore

Sit-downs in LA and Chicago

THEATRICAL100
Featured Actor
Posted: 5/25/12 at 11:00am
What is your opinion on sit-down productions of popular broadway/off-broadway shows opening in places other than the great white way?
Marla: I have to go sing about a life I never led.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 11:10am
Pro.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
Leading Actor
Posted: 5/25/12 at 11:34am
I'm in LA, so naturally, I am for them.
I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being. ``oscar wilde``
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 11:53am
Sit-downs are great if they can run.

I lived in Los Angeles for 23 years. Most successful sit-downs last 1-2 years. And most shows run a few months, usually. The big exception was Phantom of the Opera which ran around five years. That's the longest sit-down of a Broadway show in L.A. to date.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 12:21pm
How long did Lion run?
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 01:34pm
Two and half years.
theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 01:39pm
Does that make it the longest one in LA?
HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 01:43pm
I think I recall reading SOMEWHERE [ahem!] that, at 5 years long, Phantom has had the longest sit-down run in LA.
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 01:53pm
Yes, but what show has had the LONGEST sit-down run in LA? It might be Lion King. How long did that run?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 02:04pm
LOL

theaternut---my first post in this thread says Phantom is the longest at around five years.

EDIT: By the way, a little interesting side note ... Dale Kristien played Christine for the entire run, and after her alternate left the production, Dale did all eight shows a week with no alternate. It was almost for two years of it. I believe she is the only Christine ever to do that. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)
Updated On: 5/25/12 at 02:04 PM
Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 06:02pm
best12bars - yes, you are correct about Dale Kristen.

I know that Phantom ran a long time in LA, but did it run as long as The Lion King???
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 06:13pm
Twice as long.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 06:24pm
And Dale didn't need vocal tracks. She hit those notes LIVE, every night.

I remember her telling me one time that she was given the note, "You don't have to hold the note for so long" and her response was, "But I can."

Love her!!!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 07:35pm
Dale's last performance as Christine (after nearly five years) in Los Angeles ... according to YouTube.

Think Of Me
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 07:56pm
I was surprised that Mormon didn't sit down in Tinseltown?

I know it wasn't a sit down, but it must thrilling to have the US premiere of the revised Sunset Boulevard?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot*****
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 08:01pm
Wicked did 2 years in Los Angeles and almost 4 years in Chicago, if a show can sustain an audience then there's no reason why a show cannot run in one city while the Broadway and tour is ongoing especially if it's a blockbuster, I believe Book of Mormon doing a sitdown in Chicago alongside the upcoming national tour.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 08:47pm
Wicked sucks ass...

B12B, that clip brought about chills and goosebumps!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
broadwayriff
Swing
Posted: 5/25/12 at 08:55pm
Phantom played over 1700 performances in it's intial run ath the Ahmanson. That same production went to play five more years in San Francisco in a sit down run. Lion King played only 950 at the Pantages in LA.

Updated On: 5/25/12 at 08:55 PM
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 09:17pm
Phantom of London --- the U.S. Premiere of "Sunset Boulevard," starring Glenn Close, George Hearn, et al, was supposed to be a sit-down production at the Shubert Theatre in Los Angeles. That's where I saw it, and it got solid reviews (better than London---especially for Close).

This show opened while the London production with LuPone was still running.

Then suddenly, Lloyd Webber announced that he was going to use Glenn for Broadway instead of LuPone.

He also announced that Faye Dunaway, Rex Smith, and John Cypher would be replacing the leads for the sit-down company already running in Los Angeles.

We all know how that worked out. (From what I understand, advance ticket sales in L.A. immediately dropped with the announcement of Close's departure.)

Weeks later, he announced that he was closing the L.A. company and moving the entire thing (down to the very last chorus member) to Broadway. This would be his NY company.

It surprised everyone, especially Judy Kuhn, who was pregnant at the time. She decided not to go to NY as a result. I believe she was also still recording the vocals for Disney's Pocahontas. She had several reasons to stay in L.A. right then. So they recast the role with Alice Ripley (it's still Judy on the American recording).

Updated On: 5/26/12 at 09:17 PM
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/25/12 at 11:22pm
Wicked only ran about a year in LA and 3 years in Chicago.
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/26/12 at 12:44am
One other thing about the Phantom sit-down in Los Angeles ...

Webber paid to shut down the Ahmanson Theatre for six weeks before and after the show's run (not unlike "Cats" at the Winter Garden) to have the entire floor and fly space redone to suit the needs of the production. All of the hydraulics and trapdoors were installed, as well as the chandelier over the audience. All of the full-sized candelabras rose out of the floor during the title song, etc. There was no difference between the L.A. production and the Broadway production.

Actually, I take that back (having seen the show in both places) ... the Los Angeles prodction was bigger, because of the size of the Ahmanson stage and its proscenium (not to mention its seating capacity in the house).

Updated On: 5/26/12 at 12:44 AM
JohnyBroadway Profile Photo
JohnyBroadway
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/26/12 at 04:32am
How long did Beauty run in LA?
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/26/12 at 05:56am
I'm not really sure what to 'think' about sit downs -- what is there to think of?

It's great. Anything that employs actors and puts out a good (or better) performance is worthy. It won't hurt b'way in any way.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/26/12 at 06:21am
Beauty and the Beast ran a year and five months. The Los Angeles production opened at the Shubert Theatre on April 12, 1995, and closed on September 29, 1996.

They brought all of the original leads from Broadway to do it. Susan Egan, Terrence Mann, Gary Beach, Tom Bosley, Beth Fowler, and Burke Moses.
Bwaydide92
Featured Actor
Posted: 5/26/12 at 06:33am
Wicked actually almost ran for two years at The Pantages, Its run was extremely successful. Phantom was probably able to run longer because Center Theatre Group is non-profit and usually assists its shows in many ways.
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/26/12 at 07:00am
Cheers for all your wisdom it is certainly intriguing.

2 questions: How long did Sunset Boulevard play LA? Where is the Shubert Theatre has it closed or renamed?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot*****

Page: