Comscore

How will 'Smash' do at the Emmys (noms)?

Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Or at the Globes for that matter for 2012 (Emmys) and 2013 (Globes)?

Any specific performances that should be recognized? ...

Updated On: 5/13/12 at 05:40 PM
kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
Broadway Star
If they had a music category, the original songs deserve a nom.
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
I would assume Anjelica Huston and Debra Messing will be in the mix, but ultimately I don't think they will be nominated. They'll probably get a song nomination. I'd rather Marc Shaiman win an Emmy than Justin Timberlake for another SNL parody song.
JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
Broadway Legend
Not much for the Emmy's, but definitely the Golden Globes.
TheHappyPhantom
Featured Actor
Hopefully nothing. It's a mess.
E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
Broadway Legend
I think that Hilty has a chance. Who knows, I mean she is one of the best reviewed things of the show and the shows breakout star.
"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
bobs3
Broadway Legend
If anyone on the series has a chance of an acting nomination it is Anjelica Huston in the supporting category but she won't win (Maggie Smith will win for Downton Abbey).

There is too much competition in the lead actress category for Debra Messing to sneak in (Glenn Close, Claire Danes who is the probable winner, Mireille Enos, Mariska Hargitay, January Jones, Julianna Margulies, Elizabeth McGovern, Elisabeth Moss, and Kyra Sedgwick).

The series should (and will) get quite a few nominations in the creative arts categories (musical scoring, song(s), art direction, costume design, film editing, etc.).

Updated On: 5/13/12 at 08:59 PM
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Downton Abbey is considered a mini-series by Emmy standards.

I highly doubt Debra Messing has any kind of chance at being nominated. I'd say Huston is the closest to having a chance, but that's still so far from a sure thing.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
bobs3
Broadway Legend
Downton Abbey is no longer considered a mini-series. It will be in the drama series category this year.

Whereas, American Horror Story has been submitted in the mini-series category. It will be interesting to see if Jessica Lange goes lead or supporting. If she goes supporting she will win, if she goes lead she will probably lose to Julianne Moore.
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
I really don't understand the way these shows have snuck into the mini series category--everyone knew by the time Downton ran in the US that it was coming back for another year, as it was clear early on with AHStory as well.
givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
But Downton Abbey, like other British shows, has fewer episodes than most American television shows. Wouldn't that put it in the mini-series category?
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
bobs3
Broadway Legend
I believe that the reason AHS was accepted as a mini-series is because the storyline ended after the 12th episode. It will be back for season 2 but with a new storyline and only one returning actor -- Jessica Lange -- who will play a entirely different character in a new setting (Connecticut instead of Los Angeles).
bobs3
Broadway Legend
"Episodes" with Matt LeBlanc only had 6 episodes its first season but it was considered a comedy series (same with Ricky Gervais' EXTRAS).
Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
Featured Actor
Back to whether SMASH will get any Emmy love come nomination time: no, absolutely not. Wait, I'll add a caveat, it might pick up a nomination or two for the creative department, but no noms in the major leagues.

The Golden Globes are a differently animal entirely...but, as Sister Aloysius Beauvier says, "I have doubts."
inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
Broadway Legend
Will Uma be nominated? Is there an award for "Best Guest Star"? (I'm clueless when it comes to the Emmy awards. They are the most pointless awards to me. Do you watch a certain show just because it has won a bajillion Emmys? I dont.)
I'm an old show queen , and I'm not even 30.
Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
Featured Actor
They award Best Guest Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series and Best Guest Actor/Actress in a Drama Series. Established stars do well in that category (re: Gwyneth Paltrow has one), so she very well might pick up a nomination.
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Yes, I'd say Uma has a good chance of being remembered.

Regarding series/mini-series, the Emmys, like any other awards group, do what they want and make strange and sometimes inconsistent eligibility decisions. Why is SNL not submitted for Best Comedy Series but its performers can submit for Supporting/Guest Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series?
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Right that's where I am confused--Game of Thrones is only ten episodes a season and it's not counted as a miniseries. I love Downton Abbey, and sometimes despite myself enjoyed Horror Story but it does feel kinda unfair that they were allowed to compete as miniseries. Then again, I suppose it's no big deal. (Your SNL example has always confused me as well :P )

Bobs, a number of te supporting actors from AHS are returning, not just Lange--Zack QUinto, Sarah Paulson and I believe at least one other actor, but your point about it being a yearly anthology show makes some sense. I still find the practice unfair and odd, but meh.
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
They probably got the idea from Downton Abbey last year. I'm sure it won't be allowed to continue in the category after one year, like Downton Abbey.
Leadingplayer
Broadway Star
I would say Uma Thurman and maybe even Bernidette stand a chance for guest Actress. That category is all about big names. I could see Angelica Huston getting nominated based on her past work and name recognition.
inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
Broadway Legend
If Hilty is pushed for supporting, she could pick up a nom? maybe?

FIX BERNADETTE'S NAME.
I'm an old show queen , and I'm not even 30.
Updated On: 5/14/12 at 08:48 PM
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
I believe Debra Messing is the only one submitting in the lead category (making Hilty supporting).
landryjames2
Leading Actor
As glorious as Huston is, she is horrid in Smash. Horrid. If she gets nominated, it will not be right. But I still think it the horrendous writing and directing more than the actual acting, I guess. Messing is submitting? She is horrible too (as is Borle, the boy who plays Ellis, etc.) The only ones that come across okay and lightly enjoyable are the three Marilyns.

In My Opinion.
phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
Stand-by
Angelica Huston is good but not amazing or praise worthy in Smash, mostly because her character is boring, or probably because Huston gets worse as she ages; she's had some really bad acting moments in the show. (one of her goofs in last night's show: holding her iphone upside down while talking to Michael Riedel) SHE WILL NOT GET A NOMINATION.

If I had to pick someone to get an Emmy or Golden Globe nomination, it would definitely be Megan Hilty. She is absolutely amazing, she adds so much depth to Ivy's antagonistic nature that one feels bad to hate her. Especially since Megan is being considered for Supporting Actress, she will have a high chance.
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
I highly doubt that Thurman would be remembered for this performance. The role was fairly uninteresting, and she didn't do much herself to liven it up. Peters fared better, I thought, but it's another case of the role/story-line not being that well-developed.

I agree re: Huston. This is not her finest hour.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Why would Hilty be submitted for Supporting? That's clearly a leading role.

Page:

Advertisement