SMASH FAIL

SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 01:59pm
( I thought this deserved its own thread in case other were not into the SMASH thread. This needs to be seen...)

I hope someone connected to the show (Shaiman, Hilty? ) can comment on this. How did this happen? We can excuse the stupid inaccuracies in the story, but this is appalling.
Inexcusable SMASH blunder
PEACE.
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:01pm
Bitch...you don't even give me a byline when I was the one to bring this to the Board's attention. I gonna cut-choo.

But yes...I'm deeply, deeply troubled that this show has put money into the pocket of Donnie McClurkin.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:04pm
Oh, sorry, Robbie, I was just too, too. Do you have Marc's phone number? How about Megan's?
PEACE.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:06pm
They cannnot be reached at the moment because they are in TECH!

And I believe the full name is Miss Donnie McClurkin.
Wynbish
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:09pm
The scene was unnecessary to begin with.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:10pm
Uhm, MrMidwest posted about it first, Robby...

I swear, no one is reading the threads any more.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
JP2
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:13pm
And yet the song was sung by a gay character. I don't think this was in any way a fail.
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:16pm
Then my apologies to MrMidwest, who clearly deserves top billing.

I find it beyond troublesome that money was put in Miss McClurkin's pocket by this particular show.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:17pm
And yet the song was sung by a gay character. I don't think this was in any way a fail.

A smug and judgmental gay character at that!
jpbran
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:24pm
Yuck... lame! They couldn't find ANY other song to perform?
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
And, of course, it was written by a gay man. Who is visciously homophobic and 'ex-gay' now. So...
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
So stop complaining, you never-happy gay harpies!
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:25pm
I'm more of a shrew.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:29pm
You're a Valykrie.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/9/12 at 02:31pm
DING DING DING

I mean...if we all managed to work ourselves into a froth (rightfully) when McClurkin took the stage at an Obama event, can't we at least clutch the pearls a little?
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/11/12 at 06:39pm
Why is this an issue>? I admit it makes me mad that he will get some more money--but if people who were gay friendly (as all people should be) never performed works by those who weren't it would leave a huge hole. If anything I can applaud it as subversive.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/11/12 at 07:31pm
Head/Desk
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/11/12 at 07:36pm
You love me almost as much as After8
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/11/12 at 09:30pm
but if people who were gay friendly (as all people should be) never performed works by those who weren't it would leave a huge hole. If anything I can applaud it as subversive.

A show about GAY people, written and produced by GAY people should NOT be putting a freaking DIME in this despicable homophobe’s pocket. There is NO excuse or ANY reason this should have occurred. There are COUNTLESS songs that could have sufficed and if not, then Shaiman could have pulled one out of his ass. It is a slap in the face to the gay community that is supporting this very unstable show. I am really losing my faith in gay artists who continue to display such blatant disrespect or, if not intentional, then INEXCUSABLE ignorance to the homophobic “contributors” to our society. SHAME ON THEM.

Diva, I know you are friends with Marc and Scott, but how can you defend this?
PEACE.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/11/12 at 11:14pm
Smash is about gay people?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/11/12 at 11:19pm
Joe,don't be coy. The ONLY straight character on the show is Karen's mom. Okay, maybe Dev.
PEACE.
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/12/12 at 12:52am
I dunno, he slept with Ivy who let's face it, is a substitute drag queen so obviously Dev isn't.
trinbgvsu2
Swing
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/12/12 at 01:24am
Do you really think it wasn't an obvious choice to use this song?

Don't you think it makes a statement to have an openly gay character sing this song in a church?
inlovewithjerryherman
Broadway Legend
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/12/12 at 01:29am
and who says McClurkin made any money? his agents may suck. in fact, it wouldn't surprise me, if in his self-righteousness, he released it to the public domain.
I'm an old show queen , and I'm not even 30.
kdogg36
Leading Actor
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/12/12 at 08:59am
Why is this an issue? I admit it makes me mad that he will get some more money--but if people who were gay friendly (as all people should be) never performed works by those who weren't it would leave a huge hole. If anything I can applaud it as subversive.

I understand your point, but ask yourself this. If a show with many African American characters (and audience members) used material written by a known white supremacist, would this cause a scandal? I think it would, and the producers would be forced to apologize. I think LGBT people have progressed far enough that we should be upset about this sort of thing.
jayinchelsea
Broadway Star
SMASH FAIL
Posted: 5/12/12 at 09:17am
totally agree, kdogg36, this is an outrage, and the producers should apologize to the community immediately! for better or worse, SMASH has an enormous LGBT following (and to think otherwise is naive), and yes, if they had featured songs from a white supremacist, that would have been equally outrageous.

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV