Comscore

Cedar Crest College looking for a turnaround

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
I believe I've mentioned the cuts at my alma mater once or twice on the board so I decided to share this article with you.

I'm not really sure how I feel about all of this. My major, Fine Arts, is already gone as is the music major. But, they're adding a creative writing masters degree, media and art therapy, and an arts administration major.

It's sad when stuff like this happens and there is a major push from current and former students to find ways to help the school. But with a $1.1 million deficit it seems there isn't much we can do.
Cedar Crest College looking for a turnaround
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
JoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
My college went through a horrible period after I left. They ended up selling off huge chunks of real estate and even some art and antiques that had been donated to the college to survive. But it seems they are doing well now. So I hope yours can hang on.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
I really credit my time at Cedar Crest with helping to shape who I am today. When I graduated high school I was such a quiet and shy thing who pretty much never spoke to anyway. At Cedar Crest nobody mocked you for being "ugly" or "fat" or because you didn't have have whatever the latest clothing fad was. We were all equals (mostly). I wish more prospective students could see THAT instead of the whole "there are no boys" thing.
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
My aunt is a Cedar Crest alum as well. She always speaks very fondly of her time there. Sad to see that it's going through what appears to be a period of crisis. As someone who works in higher ed, I know what an unstable environment it can be, and how certain decisions can affect everyone--faculty, staff, students, and alumni. Unfortunately, nowadays many colleges are run like businesses rather than learning institutions, and students view college as merely professional training. It makes sense, given the state of the economy, but it's also the reason why programs in fine/performing art, humanities, and the social sciences are facing major cutbacks or complete elimination. I am seeing some of the same problems at my school, and am probably going to start applying for new jobs in the fall.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 5/5/12 at 03:10 PM