Comscore

Streisand Buys Screen Rights for End of the Rainbow

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
Broadway Star
Deadline Hollywood EXCLUSIVE by Nikki Finke

In an exclusive interview with Deadline, Barbra Streisand confirmed she has purchased film rights to the hit London show End of the Rainbow, which is now in previews for a Broadway opening.

After a long hiatus, Barbra will return to directing to direct herself in the story, which centers on the cruel final months of the lengendary Judy Garland. But there will be a few changes.

"You know, nobody wants to remember Judy from those times. It wasn't just sad; the woman was revolting. So we are going to 'glamorize reality' so to speak. I don't think the audience would accept me like that, no matter how brilliant my performance is going be."

Her biggest fear, Barbra admits, is the age difference between herself and Garland. "I don't know, but I think with the help of make-up and careful lighting, I will be able to at least give the illusion of being an older woman, though it will be difficult. That's why in addition to writing, starring and directing I will be making my debut as director of photography with Rainbow."

Streisand said what drove her to make this her next project after Gypsy is the chance to sing the classic songs Judy made famous. Although the film will actually be a drama, like the play it will include several important concert sequences. "I don't know," said Barbra. "I just felt it was time somebody took these old classics and sang them correctly. We're so used to Judy's versions instead."

Joining Barbra will be her husband Josh Brolin as Mickey Deems, Garland's last husband. "We've been looking for a project to do together and this just seems perfect." Asked about concerns that Brolin looks and sounds nothing like Deems, Streisand replied, "Oh honey, he has the classic essence of that man. He knows how to keep a girl happy, if ya know what I mean," she said with a lascivious wink.

Barbra also said she was proud to announce the casting of James Franco as Herbie in her upcoming film of Gypsy. "He was concerned about the age difference but I convinced him that with appropriate lighting and makeup, he wouldn't look too old to be playing opposite me. And anyway, he has the essence of Herbie. He knows how to keep a girl happy, if you know what I mean. And he's so versatile in so many ways, if you know what I mean."

Shooting is tentatively set for this fall with a projected opening around the first of April next year.

Reporting from Hollywood, this is Nikki Finke.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
Broadway Star
The film will end with La Striesand singing "Over The Rainbow" ending on a freeze-frame with (pardon me) A BIG FAT CLOSE-UP.
Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Joining Barbra will be her husband Josh Brolin as Mickey Deems, Garland's last husband.

Nice try but you made a foolish mistake: Barbra's husband is JAMES Brolin, not Josh Brolin.

Josh Brolin--James Bolin's son from his previous marriage--is Streisand's stepson.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
...who somehow only gets HOTTER the older he gets.
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
The Brolins, from left to right: James, Barbra, Josh.

yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
Broadway Legend
It is actually Mickey Deans.
Susan Haskins (Theatre Talk): "I love children. That's why I work with Michael (Riedel)."
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Say this a joke. Please
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
So you don't read threads before posting in them? That's confirmed? Can we get confirmation on that?
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
Broadway Star
Yes, of course I meant James Brolin and Mickey Deans.

@Mr. Roxy: "a projected opening around the first of April."
CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Well, if this is the case I say they write in the character of "Liza Minnelli" and have Diane Lane play her.
"I was raised to be charming, not sincere"

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement