NOW. HERE.THIS. - Reviews

TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/12 at 09:36pm
Talkin' Broadway is mixed.
Matthew Murray on NHT
"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/12 at 09:49pm
Anyone think this is going to get ugly?
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/12 at 09:51pm
BACKSTAGE is mixed-to-positive.
BACKSTAGE
"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/12 at 10:22pm
Isherwood in the TIMES - pretty much a RAVE and a choclate-covered Valentine to the cast!

"Good news, ardent fans of offbeat musical theater. The lovable gang from “[title of show]” is back with an endearingly goofy new diversion called “Now. Here. This.” Thin as a vanilla wafer but just as sweet, it opened on Wednesday night at the Vineyard Theater, where the same collaborators’ first show played before its little-engine-that-could chug to Broadway. (It closed pretty quickly, but still: Broadway!)

You remember the gang of course. The ginger-haired wisecracker Hunter, he of the obscure pop-culture references. Susan, of the majestic nose and deliciously dry inflections. The perky Jeff, with the Chelsea-boy good looks and peppy melodies. And Heidi, the wholesome sweetie with the heavenly voice.

But those of us who fell in love with “[title of show],” that delightfully self-conscious musical about putting together a delightfully self-conscious musical, probably consider its cast and creators something more than Facebook friends. I almost feel that somewhere in my closets gathering dust are little ceramic ashtrays made by the cast especially for me. Anyway, this fab foursome is as adorable as ever in its latest creation, a loose and loopy exercise in musical autobiography set during a Groupon outing they have undertaken to a natural history museum. The new show is less substantial — and memorable — than their first, which heaven knows was no “Sweeney Todd” in the heft department, for all its daffy charm. But the cast offers up its blend of good humor and good feeling with an audience-embracing brio that never flags. "

The Grey Lady, baby
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/12 at 10:43pm
NewJerseyNewsroom is a RAVE:

"Created and performed by the makers of “[title of show],” their latest tuner with yet another appellation sure to make copy editors crazy is named “NOW. HERE. THIS.” A distinctively original effort, the musical proves to be a delightfully quirky piece regarding the importance of savoring fully the present moment.The musical’s positive message about appreciating the now-here-this joys of our fleeting existence on Earth is well worth hearing and heeding.

The score’s more than a dozen songs often are fragmented and spliced into the ultra-conversational text, so it is difficult to characterize any of the numbers on a single hearing, but the overall nature of the propulsive music is breezy and upbeat. The warm vocal harmonies arranged by Bowen with musical director Larry Pressgrove (another “[title of show]” alumnus) sound especially mellifluous."

Three Cheers
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/28/12 at 10:48pm
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 02:24am
nice, glad to hear its getting raves, maybe this will get Vineyard to give it another run after the John Kander/David Hyde pierce thing in June
ColorTheHours048
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 04:00am
Happy the show is getting good notices for the most part, especially from the Times.

Having only heard about it from BWW word of mouth and from a couple of my friends who saw the workshop last year, I really had no plans to try and catch it at the Vineyard. My boyfriend surprised me with tickets for my birthday, so I put on a happy face and went. Despite the first 30-or-so minutes lacking severely in any kind of enjoyable book and boasting a few enjoyable tunes (special mention to Jeff's hilarious "Dazzle Camouflage" number) that would really have worked better if the show were only a song cycle, the show really hits a high point about midway through and stays there. I found myself beside myself with laughter one moment (Hunter's father was in the audience and was pointed out by Hunter himself after sharing a particularly embarrassing father-son anecdote) and openly weeping the next (a sincere and extremely moving section devoted to coming to terms with a grandmother's death). The show is far from perfect and it thinks a bit too highly of itself, but as an enjoyable evening of theatre with four theatre artists who really love the hell out of what they do - and it's hard to ignore that they do it pretty damn well - it works just as it should. And if you walk away thinking about the theme "living in the now" for a few hours afterwards, then that's good too.

Sorry for the mini-review. Just realized I never actually shared my thoughts after I saw it.
ColorTheHours048
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 04:00am
Happy the show is getting good notices for the most part, especially from the Times.

Having only heard about it from BWW word of mouth and from a couple of my friends who saw the workshop last year, I really had no plans to try and catch it at the Vineyard. My boyfriend surprised me with tickets for my birthday, so I put on a happy face and went. Despite the first 30-or-so minutes lacking severely in any kind of enjoyable book and boasting a few enjoyable tunes (special mention to Jeff's hilarious "Dazzle Camouflage" number) that would really have worked better if the show were only a song cycle, the show really hits a high point about midway through and stays there. I found myself beside myself with laughter one moment (Hunter's father was in the audience and was pointed out by Hunter himself after sharing a particularly embarrassing father-son anecdote) and openly weeping the next (a sincere and extremely moving section devoted to coming to terms with a grandmother's death). The show is far from perfect and it thinks a bit too highly of itself, but as an enjoyable evening of theatre with four theatre artists who really love the hell out of what they do - and it's hard to ignore that they do it pretty damn well - it works just as it should. And if you walk away thinking about the theme "living in the now" for a few hours afterwards, then that's good too.

Sorry for the mini-review. Just realized I never actually shared my thoughts after I saw it.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 07:31am

I'm no great fan of the show, but I say this as objectively as possible -- methinks someone needs to rethink their definition of the word "rave."

These are positive reviews, but they are not raves. Isherwood's review, in particular, though enthusiastic, contains a number of not-so-positive qualifiers.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 07:43am
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/29/12 at 07:48am
The line about Hunter's father in audience is in the script. He's done it from the workshop, the first preview, to the night before opening.
ricecrispietreat
Swing
Posted: 3/29/12 at 09:03am
Im really glad to see good reviews for this show. I had such a good time when I saw it, and really liked what the show had to say. I do agree with a lot of the reviews when they say that the weakness in the throughline is covered by the charisma and wit of the cast. And while the focus could have been stronger in latter 30 minutes, I found it so easy to forgive them because during those 30 minutes I was so entertained, and in the "now-here-this", that I didn't realize it until I had left the theater. Overall great, light night of theater with a fun and inspirational cast. (Double thumbs up to Dazzle Camouflage, What Are the Odds, That Makes Me Hot and Susan! I definitely thought she was the strongest in the group)
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:01pm
Growl: This is true. Isherwood definitely points out elements in the show that he thinks don't work, and finds some parts banal and schmaltzy. But the overall tone is most definitely a rave.

He's fairly beguiled by the whole enterprise, weak spots and all. And his criticisms are leavened with creamy dollops of warm praise, cheering the casts' "winning personas, Mr. Bowen’s frisky songs and the generous doses of off-kilter humor" While admitting that he doesn't think the show is as strong as [title of show], he concludes with "Here’s hoping that the family forged by these talented folk — as well as Mr. Berresse and the musical director Larry Pressgrove, who helped conceive the show — will keep making sport of their misadventures, and keep making light but lively musical theater, for some time to come."

"Good news, ardent fans of offbeat musical theater. The lovable gang from “[title of show]” is back with an endearingly goofy new diversion called “Now. Here. This.”

"This fab foursome is as adorable as ever in its latest creation, a loose and loopy exercise in musical autobiography.... the cast offers up its blend of good humor and good feeling with an audience-embracing brio that never flags."

Those are killer pull-quotes. And that's a money review.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:05pm
I wonder if Jeffrey and Kevin will move this one to Broadway, too,and lose millions of their investors' cash when only a few hundred fans turn up.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:08pm

Yes. As I said, that is a positive review.

And those are decent pull quotes.

It's just not a rave.

Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:12pm
Congrats on the show and the creators and cast, etc!

PM me if you find Jeff Bowen's profile on Manhunt.

Like you weren't thinking about it already.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:32pm

Do people find Jeff Bowen exceptionally attractive?

Isherwood refers to his "Chelsea-boy good looks."

What the heck am I missing?
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:34pm
I think he's dreamy. The Manhunt comment is wishful thinking on my part, but it's important for one to have dreams.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:43pm

No kidding? Huh. Not that I think he's unattractive, mind. I'm just always surprised that people mention his looks on the reg, so to speak.
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:45pm
He's a bit long in the tooth for a chelsea boy...or is that just me being bitchy?

I do love these kids, and hope this finds an audience and they are smart enough to keep it off broadway.

Manhunt? Isnt Jeff still with Michael? Not that that precludes trolling the docks.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

newintown
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:51pm
He has the head and face of an old man, but a nice torso.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 12:58pm

^That I agree with. And I still think, as he ages, he's looking eerily like David Hyde Pierce.

Anyway, they extended before they opened. That had to be built-in, right? Is there any concern that most of this show's audience has already seen it in previews? Honestly, as surprised as I am at how gentle the reviews have been (say, where are all the other major outlets, anyway?) I don't think they're going to do much to bring in the uninitiated.
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 01:17pm
It's a niche project and a vanity piece. It has no legs beyond this production. No disrespect to the creatives, but this piece can't be done regionally with others playing the leads. It's too random.

This run is not selling well. The die-hards have seen it, and the public isn't interested. The lab sold out almost instantly and this run has plenty of tickets.

This quartet is talented but they are lucky they have such avid supporters in The Vineyard. Something this random wouldn't see the light of day elsewhere.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/29/12 at 01:44pm
I agree. This has no legs outside of the Vineyard. I don't see it building the following that [title of show] did, and this piece lacks the novelty of that show.
AndersonTours
Understudy
Posted: 3/30/12 at 05:38pm
Wish this had gotten better reviews.

Page: