Comscore

Lee Daniels' 'Valley of the Dolls' Script Picked Up by NBC

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
The "Precious" director will also exec produce the project, based on the 1967 film adaptation of Jacqueline Susann's showbiz-set pot-boiler.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
That article can't seem to make up its mind if the pilot's based on the novel or the movie.
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
It'll be interesting to see if they can strike the right tone with it. Kinda like walking a tightrope. It could be fun ... or dreadfully boring ... or just plain bad.

I'm curious enough to tune in and give it a shot, if it ever airs.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
My guess it's an adaptation of the premise and elements from both the novel and the 1967 film. I doubt it will be a literal adaptation of the book which spanned 3 decades, the 1940s through to the 1960s. I'm wondering if it will take place in the 60s or if it will be set in the present day.

I vote they stunt cast Patty Duke as "Helen Lawson" and Barbara Parkins as "Miriam Polar".
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
I"m not sure why there's a question here. It says very clearly in both the subheader and article that his script is an adaptation of the 1967 film version. Not the book.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Updated On: 10/2/11 at 08:25 AM
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
I have no idea. Namo's the one who brought it up.
JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
It's bound to stink, like the former remake. The original film is one of a kind.
MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Is this still happening? If so, I think Rose Byrne or Mandy Moore could make a good Anne.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
Glenn Close as Helen Lawson.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
Phyllis Rogers Stone Profile Photo
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
It appears they have chosen the right man for the job

"The Paperboy" is a trashy Southern Gothic potboiler based on Pete Dexter's novel, and a movie that features Nicole Kidman urinating on a jellyfish-stung Zac Efron after shoving some girls out of the way and uttering the immortal line, "If anyone's gonna pee on him, it's gonna be me!"

Daniels' latest debuts at Cannes
....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 5/24/12 at 09:08 PM
AnthVoice2010 Profile Photo
AnthVoice2010
Broadway Star
In 2004 - before Valley of the Dolls was released on DVD and when copies of it were impossible to find on VHS...

Chelsea Classics, hosted by Hedda Lettuce, would run a scratched print of it every 6 month or so.

I went three times. By the third time, they had to put it in the biggest theatre at the Chelsea Clearview. There literally were people sitting in the aisles. The had a "cancellation line" outside the theatre with about 30 people on it.

it was chaos. One of the greatest movie going nights of my life...

The sound of 700 people screaming and cheering at the end of Kneely's breakdown in the final reel...I'll never forget it..

So...Good Luck, Lee Daniels.
"There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up." - Billie Holiday
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
THE PAPERBOY has gotten some yowlingly bad reviews in Cannes.

I always felt like he was a hack.

At this point, I swear, NBC is TRYING to self-destruct.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
Updated On: 5/25/12 at 12:05 PM
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
Lee has said how much Susan Lucci meant to him on All My Children growing up--she needs a role.

Does anyone remember the kinda racy version they showed late at night in the early 90s?? Updated and made daytime soaps look cheap, but I remember watching due to a lot of male butt shots...
strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
Broadway Legend
Deep-fried southern camp. I almost want to see this but Daniels has offended a lot of my sensibilities before.
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
This was all I could find of the '94 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-Cy1VMX0o

There were more videos but they were taken down. Maybe Sally Kirkland's lawyer sued--a lot of future daytime soap actors were on it. I just remember all the sex.
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Daniel's imagination is absolutely bonkers, yet his films are so earnest and heavy-handed they never quite become the camp, Amodovarian gems they should be.

Did anyone see SHADOWBOXER? That film featured, among other things, Macy Gray flipping out on a security speaker, Vanessa Ferlito in a blonde Dorothy Hamill wig, Stephen Dorff doing full-frontal with a condom hanging from his peen and a baby-faced Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing a gynecologist whose hot, jealous lover is played by--wait for it--Mo'Nique!! It's fast-paced, overdone, beautifully acted and hanging-from-the-ceiling bananas.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
If only Suzanne Pleshette was still around to play Helen.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
Barbara Hershey as Helen. I also see Heather Graham somewhere in this. Chris Klein as Tone-Nee.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Yes, please, to everything.

I absolutely hated PRECIOUS. Thought it was so heavy handed. Great performances, but give me a break! Thought it would've been better to have a more ensemble piece with a few girls instead of Precious having to deal with everything except the plague.

This'll be a train wreck and I can't wait!
"Bill Clinton is the ultimate whore! He stole Madonna's crown." -Jim Colyer, on 10/29/2012
Mrs Mangel  Profile Photo
Mrs Mangel
Broadway Legend
She's not a major name by any means, but Melinda Clarke who played Julie Cooper on The O.C. would set the correct tone for this as Helen Lawson. Then just surround her with A&F models.
Phyllis Rogers Stone Profile Photo
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
I thought this was DOA?