Comscore

BWW TV: Prepare Ye - First Look at GODSPELL in Rehearsal!

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
Broadway Legend
Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
Broadway Legend
Hmmmmm...

Not sure what I think at this point.
"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
woodyactor
Chorus Member
I like parts of it but i got to admit telly really let me down! he wasnt what i thought he would be!! But i love the 2nd scene that is an amazing Scene and they staged that so perfect!!
thismyshow
Broadway Star
^ keep in mind their still in rehearsal and things can change......
WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel
Broadway Legend
First just a general comment about these rehearsal video clips (I remember seeing one of Anything Goes too). I realize it's only a rehearsal, but if the product isn't displayed in the best light why bother filming and releasing the clip? I know the producers want to generate interest, but you have to wonder why they would put together this 8 minute montage. Their star, Hunter Parrish, isn't shown off at all and the "staging" was lackluster throughout.

Why not perform "Save the People" and then end with "We Beseech Thee?"

I'm not condemning this revival before I see it. I scratch my head at the powers that be that want this clip to be the press for their show.

As for the video, "O Bless the Lord My Soul" sounded good, but I don't know what they were going for with that staging. The parable left me cold, and "All Good Gifts" (generally a snoozer for me) sounded like American Idol cheese.
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
Featured Actor
This actually pumps me up to see this! Diverse beautiful cast of all shapes colors and sizes. Gorgeous voices, and what looks like some new life breathed into the score and staging. YES YES YES
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Wondering why they didn't go with Day by Day or something more...fun. That said, I think it's well sung, but it seems hard to imagine how it'll shape up without many of the costume and set pieces that they're playing with. For the three numbers they did, I'm glad to hear that they didn't play around too much with the music.

At least for me, what they showed in the video needs to be seen in context. Don't know if they stand out on their own.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm very excited about this production. Just wish I could have seen more, something with more energy. And they sound great, there's no denying that.
Updated On: 9/26/11 at 05:15 PM
E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
Broadway Legend
Lack Luster.....let us hope this is better.

Like others have said, do not release something half-assed.
"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-
woodyactor
Chorus Member
im still going to see the show, just it was lack luster as everyone is saying. after i see it then i can say how it truely came together.
gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
Hehehe. :)
"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
thismyshow
Broadway Star
everyone is saying lack luster and bad staging....

One it's ment to be seen in the round.
Two your seeing numbers without costumes a set or a full orchestra of course its going to seem bland
gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
Rehearsal or no rehearsal, presented in the round or in the square (as Max Bialystock, with whom the producers of this revival are apparently well acquainted, would say, "where no one has a good seat"), you try to put the best face on your product. By the looks of what everyone's saying, this was not the best face. I'm just glad nothing was totally unfamiliar musically. I reserve all other comments on the show until opening night.
"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
I will say this... for a typical production, even in rehearsal, this doesn't have even the illusion of having their **** together. The 2000 Off-Broadway and 2001 touring productions, say what you will about them, were better than what I see so far.
Trish2 Profile Photo
Trish2
Broadway Star
Which University is presenting this?
gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
^ This one wins.
ETSARATOGA
Swing
I really loved it! It is awesome to be able to see a cast in the early stages of building a 2011 version of Godspell. The talent in that cast is amazing and we will smile as the production takes shape in the weeks ahead.
FindingNamo Profile Photo
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
I don't think Circle in the Square is quite intimate enough to make "the parable of the good samaritan as told by newspaper puppets" work in any manner. If this were one of those site specific productions, like in somebody's loft or something, it might connect.
'First the Bastille than the butt plug.' -- M ______
GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
Featured Actor
And the big name, Hunter Parrish, is not even featured? This clip is a sales tool and we don't hear the headliner? Ouch!
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
And why does Hunter have a shirt on?
romgitsean
Broadway Star
I agree with almost everything that's been said. Bad song choices and no Hunter. I'm not giving up hope though.
Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
According to Ken Davenport's blog, the telling of the Good Samaritan is "a totally original piece created by this group, inspired by music by cast member Celisse Henderson." So this is not even Stephen Schwartz's "new music"...
CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Understanding it is in rehearsal, here's my opinion: did not get me excited to see the show.

I'm in the rare group of not knowing ANYTHING about GODSPELL. I've heard the chorus of "Day by Day" before but that's it. Not being familiar with the story, after watching this video I was left confused, bored, and disappointed I didn't get to see Hunter featured.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
It may be a problem of the creative team and cast being too close to the show that they don't know which numbers or scenes work in a showcase, out of context of the show. Otherwise, they would have performed "Prepare Ye," "Day by Day," "Save the People," "All for the Best," "We Beseech Thee"... any number of those. The staging of "Bless the Lord" just makes no sense out of context and without all of the real costumes and props.
BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
Broadway Legend
Godspell is barely a linear plot right? I have seen it, but I don't even know how to classify it.

"Bless the Lord My Soul" is probably one of my favorite numbers from the show and Lindsay Mendez sounds fantastic! The other two numbers are less exciting though.
DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
So is this production getting rid of all of the humor? That Good Samaritan scene/number was so serious!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde
JimCo Profile Photo
JimCo
Chorus Member
Dated, dated, dated! Why do we need another production of this show? The rehearsal footage was very uninspired. Great voices, but that staging!

Page: