Need Help Finding Song

stephaniemaggio
Swing
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 6/21/11 at 05:31pm
So, I was listening in on a masters class today in this Broadway camp going on in my town. One girl sang this really amazing song full of passion. It was "I'm Not Afraid of Anything" from Songs For A New World.

I need help finding a really passionate song to work on. Something I could really get into and feel in my soul..

Any ideas?
Updated On: 6/21/11 at 05:31 PM
Dano454
Swing
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 6/23/11 at 01:06pm
The better question is what do you like singing? If you find a song you love to sing, you can put more passion into that song than you could to a "passionate" number.
tis_be_sarah
Understudy
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 6/26/11 at 03:37pm
try "Still Hurting" from the last give years, or "Ain't it good" From Children of Eden. Those are two I can think of off the top of my head. The most important part, however, is singing about something that you really feel passionate about inside. The emotion will come with a song that you can relate to.
A million hearts beat quicker there, a million lights they flicker there. No clouds of grey on that great white way, thats the Broadway Melody!
salutz1031
Chorus Member
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 6/29/11 at 05:17pm
stars and moon
the story goes on
patterns
Gracie11Facie
Swing
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 7/3/11 at 11:02pm
If you're an alto, then a fun yet passionate song is "Alto's Lament". Another kind of upbeat and passionate one is "Don't Rain on My Parade".

But if you want one that's more of a torch song, then I would recommend "Home" from Beauty and the Beast, "I'm Not That Girl" from Wicked, and my personal favorite: "There Are Worse Things I can do" from Grease.
Hope I helped! (:
littlegreen2
Leading Actor
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 7/6/11 at 06:25pm
Honestly, it all depends on how old you are. A 15 year old singing Rose's Turn ALWAYS feels wrong, and I see it more than I would care to admit. I don't know how old you are, but look at things performed by characters around your age. I like the suggestion of The Story Goes On because the song is full of so much emotion and self-realization, but it's sung by a pregnant woman, and the lyrics don't fit any other circumstance. I know that it is so very frequently overused but What I Did For Love brings tears to my eyes - no matter who is singing it. The thought and feeling behind the sentiment of the song is universal and it can apply to so many situations. You can always tamper with the key and tempo to fit what you like to sing. It's such a wonderful song to sing, no matter what you're auditioning for.

You may not think it makes a difference, but I promise that picking songs from situations that can really happen to you make all the difference. Don't sing I'm Still Here from Follies or Tomorrow from Annie, unless you are 70+ or 10 years old. Oh, and don't sing anything from Wicked.
"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."
FlowerChild67
Stand-by
Need Help Finding Song
Posted: 8/6/12 at 09:57pm
I totally know what you mean! But, everyone here IS right- whatever you enjoy and can put your heart into is what to go with! But, if it helps, some that I can really do this with are Wait a Bit from Just So, Don't Wanna Be Here (even though it's comedic lol), Spark of Creation from Children of Eden, Easy to be Hard, from Hair, Whispering from Spring Awakening, etc. Hope you find that perfect song!

BROADWAYWORLD TV